Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have heard that before.... that doesn't wash with me. Don't get me wrong, I know there is a NT ushered in but are not things in the NT repeated from the Old Testament? and now are they now part of the NT. If it was repeated by Jesus, it is now NT is it not?

The things that Christ incorporated into His new covenant are definitely part of the new testament. I believe this is true of most new testaments(wills). The problem is, when many see the word "commandments", they automatically think it is referring to the "Ten Commandments".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
The things that Christ incorporated into His new covenant are definitely part of the new testament. I believe this is true of most new testaments(wills). The problem is, when many see the word "commandments", they automatically think it is referring to the "Ten Commandments".
Did not Jesus bring up specific commandments to the rich young ruler when asked, how does one obtain eternal life?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Try this thought,

You cannot sow a new crop until the old crop has been harvested, finished, and the ground re-plowed. Just like the OT. It was finished, completed, and put away. The new covenant was planted in freshly prepared ground with fresh new seed......and should not be contaminated by the old inferior seed.
I can't rep you . . .but this deserves several!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Try this thought,

You cannot sow a new crop until the old crop has been harvested, finished, and the ground re-plowed. Just like the OT. It was finished, completed, and put away. The new covenant was planted in freshly prepared ground with fresh new seed......and should not be contaminated by the old inferior seed.
As pretty as it sounds. It is not scriptural

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Did not Jesus bring up specific commandments to the rich young ruler when asked, how does one obtain eternal life?
Although you do not "buy this", they were still under the old testament when Jesus told that to the rich young ruler.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Try this thought,

Interesting... is that your personal doctrine based on scripture? if it is please share. From my perspective that is in conflict with...

Mat 5:18
I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place.

Are you suggesting the OT needs to be eliminated? I hope not. The OT is foundational, we must have foundation to support the covering of Christ. Without the OT how would we know Jesus is the one?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Although you do not "buy this", they were still under the old testament when Jesus told that to the rich young ruler.
Then why did Jesus not repeat the old way to the Pharisses as well or was he trying to show the real purpose of the law that they twisted? why did not Jesus teach the young ruler the new way? So is not the Law still here to drive the sinner to the cross? which was always and still is the purpose?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
Quote:
Did not Jesus quote from the old testament? Are not something repeated from the old testament and if so is it not in the New Testament now
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (New International Version)

15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The OT is important. For the reasons in this NT scripture.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (New International Version)
15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
The OT is important. For the reasons in this NT scripture.
Notice how it does not mention . . . "for understanding the nature of God" . . . because Jesus came to provide the TRUE NATURE of God. It is "USEFUL" when correctly interpreted through the "mind of Jesus" . . . not our fallible human minds in ignorance and superstition. ANYTHING that appeals to our negative human emotions is of Satan . . . not God. Like Jesus UNAMBIGUOUSLY proved . . . God has no negative human emotions. Rebellion is a negative human emotion = Satan. ANYTHING that appeals to our negative human emotions . . whether external or internal . . . is of Satan, period.

The OT is the "old wineskin" used to contain the "old wine" (our ancestors' belief in God) . . . the NT is the "new wineskin" used to contain the "new wine" (our belief in God). You don't put new wine in old wineskins.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
As a Christian, which is more important, love or truth? If love and no truth then how can that be love? if truth then isn't that love? I am curious if anyone has scripture to support either or; both?
They both are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity