U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,799,682 times

Advertisements

Did not Jesus speak with authority so why can't you? People love to say, "what the bible means to me", with all due respect, no one cares what the bible means to you and no one cares what the bible means to me. What does scripture say? Once you get away from scripture describing God, His actions or His word then you are committing idolatry. You are making up a god in your head and not from scripture. If scripture reveals that part of God you don't like, agree with or understand then you have to reject whatever ridiculous god you created. Without scripture you are walking on dangerous ground.

(2 Timothy 4) 2"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine."

(2 Timothy 3:16) 16"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;"

(Titus 2:15) 15These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority Let no one disregard you.

(Heb. 1:3) "3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven"

(2 Thess. 2:15) 15So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 04-09-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM

8,785 posts, read 2,358,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Did not Jesus speak with authority so why can't you? People love to say, the bibles means to me, with all due respect, no one cares what the bible means to you and no one cares what the bible means to me. What does scripture say? Once you get away from scripture describing God, His actions or His word then you are committing idolatry. You are making up a god in your head and not from scripture. If scripture reveals that part of God you don't like, agree with or understand then you have to reject whatever ridiculous god you created. Without scripture you are walking on dangerous ground.

(2 Timothy 4) 2"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine."

(2 Timothy 3:16) 16"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;"

(Titus 2:15) 15These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority Let no one disregard you.

(Heb. 1:3) "3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven"

(2 Thess. 2:15) 15So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

Preach on, brother

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,656,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentalist View Post
did not jesus speak with authority so why can't you? People love to say, the bibles means to me, with all due respect, no one cares what the bible means to you and no one cares what the bible means to me. What does scripture say? Once you get away from scripture describing god, his actions or his word then you are committing idolatry. You are making up a god in your head and not from scripture. If scripture reveals that part of god you don't like, agree with or understand then you have to reject whatever ridiculous god you created. Without scripture you are walking on dangerous ground.

(2 timothy 4) 2"preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine."

(2 timothy 3:16) 16"all scripture is inspired by god and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;"

(titus 2:15) 15these things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority let no one disregard you.

(heb. 1:3) "3the son is the radiance of god's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the majesty in heaven"

(2 thess. 2:15) 15so then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

+1

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,633,378 times
Does "speak with authority" translate into "speak like you know it all?"

Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM

663 posts, read 1,191,804 times
What about those people, like myself who just cant remember bible versus to save thier life???

I can remember the 'gist' of a verse, and can paraphrase what it says...but, I just cant remember the exact wording, and if I dont have my Bible with me and that book that has every word in it, so I can find the exact verse by using a word or two, then I am lost on the exact phrasing and am doing what you say I am doing.

No matter how many times I hear and read the Bible, I just cant seem to remember exact wordings...Must be a damaged mind or something, because I always have had that problem from childhood til my old age, of trying to remember verses...sheesh! (But, people always know what I am talking about, so thats a plus!).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,900,671 times
You certainly can 'speak with authority'.

Christ related to his followers as friends. Others more knowledgeable than I believe this, too.

Dictating what others 'Must' believe is not something I will do.

Wondering if theologians agree on this--many seem to have their own opinions. C. S. Lewis makes sense to me.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,900,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
What about those people, like myself who just cant remember bible versus to save thier life???

I can remember the 'gist' of a verse, and can paraphrase what it says...but, I just cant remember the exact wording, and if I dont have my Bible with me and that book that has every word in it, so I can find the exact verse by using a word or two, then I am lost on the exact phrasing and am doing what you say I am doing.

No matter how many times I hear and read the Bible, I just cant seem to remember exact wordings...Must be a damaged mind or something, because I always have had that problem from childhood til my old age, of trying to remember verses...sheesh! (But, people always know what I am talking about, so thats a plus!).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
I have a hunch that you are on the right track.

I suppose if you belong to a church which believes in this type of religion then this is acceptable. This manner of exercising religious faith would not be appropriate in most workplaces.

When would you have time to do any work if you were constantly monitoring others?

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?pas...ohn+21%3A20-22

Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,854,873 times
Quote:
Did not Jesus speak with authority so why can't you? People love to say, "what the bible means to me", with all due respect, no one cares what the bible means to you and no one cares what the bible means to me. What does scripture say? Once you get away from scripture describing God, His actions or His word then you are committing idolatry. You are making up a god in your head and not from scripture. If scripture reveals that part of God you don't like, agree with or understand then you have to reject whatever ridiculous god you created. Without scripture you are walking on dangerous ground.

Well... I care what it means to you. Your strong witness for the truth helps me "see" better. Who we are is not revealed by what we know, it's revealed by our hearts, certainly your own passion for God's word is revealed.
In the same way the OT was first (precepts) our hearts are matured applying God's royal law (priciples). Without equal consideration in our walk, our views become imbalanced. To understand rules (precepts)takes very little spiritual indwelling... IMO, however, God's principles do.

I claim no secret formula in knowing all God's principles, so at times it's easier (and OK in my book) to retreat to precepts and keep bumping the OT like an aquarium goldfish. Often I get the same results as the goldfish, but I know there is "fulfillment" in all the law, and usually it's me who fails at "tuning" in the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM

3,553 posts, read 2,983,570 times
Quote:
Did not Jesus speak with authority so why can't you?
Yea, I deleted the rest of what you said, because you are acting like one speaking with authority. Really then, what you are saying is that you are the spokesman of Truth, relaying what your perception is, to us human beings.

Well, what does the Bible say about your tongue?

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man's religion is worthless.

So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of {our} life, and is set on fire by hell.

Well, gosh darn it, James must have speaking to them there heathens.

James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.

Hmm, were the 12 tribes heathens?

Well, let's get back to what he was saying here.

But no one can tame the tongue; a restless evil full of deadly poison.

So, how are we supposed to show the world our Master ad King? John help us out please..

Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

Ahh, there we go. Well, this takes care of John and James. How about you Peter? Anything to add?

For, "THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT.

Shoot. How are we now supposed to go about doing that? Can you give us a clue? No? Ok, then, can the King of ALL Kings give us something?

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

Ahh, ok then. So is it good to speak with the Authority of our King? You think He was using His Words?

"For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment what to say and what to speak.

And again...

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

And again...

"He who does not love Me does not keep My words and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.

Your honor, I rest my case.

We are called to fall humbly at His Feet, and to give Him praise, reflected by our actions and deeds, and yes, even the words we say. But to act on such authority, places man equal to the Father, speaking on His behalf.

This also includes our personal or even taught interpretations of the written Word, including my use of them. This is why I post where I am led, and not a dogma that I was taught by man.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,329,585 times
Once again, the Holy Spirit gets left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity