U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 AM

6,572 posts, read 8,366,578 times
I think air conditioning is responsible for more evil than TV though the two may work in tandem. If you think about it, especially in the South, during the hot summer months prior to those two inventions, people were often depicted as sitting outside on the front porch, mingling with neighbors and learning how to communicate with the rest of their society.

Since the days of air conditioning and TV (the two were more or less simultaneous in their appearances) people have crept into their homes during those warmer months, isolated themselves from their families and what would be friends (neighbors and the like) and have enabled themselves to be fat, lazy slugs more readily than ever before. If you don't believe me... Look at the obesity trends in my largely grotesque and uneducated state (Mississippi).

I think this social isolation, though most certainly un-intentional, has probably led to more of a decline in societal values than what many people attribute to be the decline of faith and religion in America (which has only recently shown decline long after TV or air conditioning) or other reasons. Without being immersed as much with your fellow human beings because you no longer have a reason to be outside and connecting more with the characters you see on TV it can, in my opinion, lead to a largely false sense of reality.

Personally, I don't think the TV is all that bad but I happen to despise just about everything on it with the exception of a few channels like Discovery, History, etc... and even those can be pretty dismally lowered down to the amusement of the lowest common denominator. Then again, I'm hard to please so perhaps I'm being a little harsh? Nah...

Though I'm not a Christian, I don't think if I had kids that I'd let them watch a whole lot of TV. Not because I'm scared of the sexual nature or alleged 'loose morals' advertised (my kids would know better... I think... Or, at least hope) but because I feel TV is mostly mindless drivel encouraging our youth and it seems many adults to be completely satiated by the idea of accepting the fecal idea that getting kicked off an island, having fifty women wait outside your door to fight who will marry you, or singing your way to fame in front of a panel of judges comprised of a neurotic bulimic, a guy who interludes his sentences with 'Dawg' every other word and a pompous but honest ass is not only feasible but 'reality.'

To answer your question... I think you'd be taking it a little bit too far to question the idea of whether or not it's "Christian" to watch TV. Personally, my thoughts are that if you can't figure out a good moderating medium using the powers of deductive logic and appropriation as to what an acceptable amount of TV is then you probably also need to look further into whether it's "Christian" or not to run the AC in the summertime. See my point? It's how you correlate the necessity of it with how you involve yourself with society, your surroundings, and ultimately your family values/life that I would imagine would be more important - not whether you will burn in eternal paradise for turning on the boob tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:54 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,273,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
If I'm not watching foxnews, it's 24, Lost, House, CSI Las Vegas and Jericho (when it was on the air). We also like the food network and discovery. Yeah, I got some weedin' to do.
I loved Jericho. I'm a huge post-apocalypse fan. I don't suppose your wife watches Jon and Kate plus 8?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Yes I do.

It doesn't.

Only if you watch it 24/7 and neglect Him because of it.

Speaking of TV... I watched two shows tonight that really made Christianity look bad. First was Trading Spouses, the "Christian" mother on it was a psycho!!! Then on Repo, a "minister" had his car repo'd and he kept saying the devil sent the repo men, and that they were taking the Lord's car. They told him the Lord should've made payments on it then...
Wife Swap is one of my favorite shows. As a believer, I shouldn't admit that, should I? Really, though, it gives a lot of perspective. Was the Trading Spouses show you watched the one with the God Warrior Marguarite? She was fascinating.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,175,884 times
We have one of the morning shows on every morning. It used to be NBC, but I am about fed up with it. Now we (or rather my DH) are watching ABC. ( I am always here on the computer, and not much of it registers )
We watch the world news, and local news, at noon and in the evening.
My husband likes Wheel of Fortune. Who Wants to be a Millionaire is usually on...I 'sort of' watch it.
We both like Jeopardy.
I like NCIS, and I used to like Ghost Whisperer ( yes , it is really 'far out' ).
That is about it, unless there is a good decent movie on, and that is very rare anymore.

I do not think is is contrary to God's will, any more than reading books and the newspapers, or listening to the radio. If you neglect the things that you should be doing, in order to watch TV, then it is wrong. A good many things that we do can be wrong depending on how we do it, and why. Shopping could even be placed in that category!
An awful lot of the 'pleasure seeking' can be wrong if it is placed before serving God.

So, what it all boils down to...it depends on what we are watching, and what priority we put on it.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM

9,560 posts, read 5,056,468 times
I don't watch to much TV.... usually the HGTV channel, FoodTV, news, Bones, that is even getting ridiculous....use to be pretty good...but they've been introducing some things into the program the last couple of year's that really contradicts what I believe in my life!

Had a pastor one time tell me for every hour of TV one watches, it takes the Lord four hours to get it out of the heart....
Our minds & hearts are like a sponge and what we fill it can be conflicting with our walk with the Lord....I truly believe this!!

I do feel it is an individuals choice, between them and the Lord....
TV is a bad influence for all ages, Christian & non-christian...
Most of it isn't worth watching....promotes awful things and degrades life and its values....!!

Blessings

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 04-14-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,773,387 times
As a television watcher I can tell you this:

There is more sex talked about in this root forum then there is on TV.

Do with that what you will.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Status: "My granddaughters are almost two! Grandson on the way!!" (set 5 days ago)

2,529 posts, read 2,468,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Wife Swap is one of my favorite shows. As a believer, I shouldn't admit that, should I? Really, though, it gives a lot of perspective. Was the Trading Spouses show you watched the one with the God Warrior Marguarite? She was fascinating.
I love Wife Swap too...That's ok, I'm a Big Brother addict.

Yes!! I was the God Warrior Marguarite!!! She was nuts!!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM

342 posts, read 318,215 times
I do watch some television and must admit that I wish I watched less... much less.....80% is trash and worldly.....I have heard some Christians refer to it as Hellivision......As Christians I think we need to be on guard as to what we choose to view....... this is a medium dominated by the evil one..........and over the last 20 years has become much more sinful....comedy is now liscense to be rude and vulgar.... even some commercials are highly suggestive.........and violence on the set and in the movies is rampant........Although there is some decent programming most is just plain bad......IMO

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM

572 posts, read 921,179 times
I don't watch a lot of TV and I can't tell you the last time we rented a movie..When we had cable in the house, I did enjoy the Lifetime movies (chick flicks!), HGTV, The Food Network, and my husband zeroed in on all the car shows...

I've made a new rule in my household...I won't turn on the computer until I read my bible..TV doesn't have me; the Internet/email does...:>) I used to spend 5-6 hours a day on this thing....

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I love Wife Swap too...That's ok, I'm a Big Brother addict.

Yes!! I was the God Warrior Marguarite!!! She was nuts!!
No way! I'm a BB addict, too! LOL Season 3...I still think Dani should have won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity