U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 7,775,496 times
Reputation: 5973

Advertisements

I've been accused of being bi-sexual and have not really ever been gay. I was told that most guys experiment during college with same sex encounters. I write a blog here on City-data and read these comments yesterday, along with many others.

If you have a same sex encounter, is it not homosexual sex? Does it make you gay if you have sex with another guy and he is your partner?

The Sciptures have been put out there by myself and others as to what it says about homosexuality. I believe that people are trying to create more problems when they say, "oh you were just bi-sexual, that's not really being gay!" So what is it then? To my knowledge nowhere in the Bible does it talk about bi-sexuality. It talks about a man and a woman and two men lying with one another.

 
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 AM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,749,501 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I've been accused of being bi-sexual and have not really ever been gay. I was told that most guys experiment during college with same sex encounters. I write a blog here on City-data and read these comments yesterday, along with many others.

If you have a same sex encounter, is it not homosexual sex? Does it make you gay if you have sex with another guy and he is your partner?

The Sciptures have been put out there by myself and others as to what it says about homosexuality. I believe that people are trying to create more problems when they say, "oh you were just bi-sexual, that's not really being gay!" So what is it then? To my knowledge nowhere in the Bible does it talk about bi-sexuality. It talks about a man and a woman and two men lying with one another.
Well you asked...

Perhaps this can help:

(From WebMD)

Sexuality is an important part of who we are as humans. Beyond the ability to reproduce, sexuality also defines how we see ourselves and how we physically relate to others. Sexual orientation is a term used to refer to a person's emotional, romantic, and sexual attraction to individuals of a particular gender (male or female).


Sexual orientation generally is divided into 3 categories:
  • Heterosexual: attracted to individuals of the opposite sex
  • Bisexual: attracted to members of either sex
  • Homosexual: attracted to individuals of one's own sex
Sexual orientation involves a person's feelings and sense of identity; it may or may not be evident in the person's appearance or behavior. People may have attractions to people of the same or opposite sex but may elect not to act on these feelings. For example, a bisexual may choose to have a monogamous (one partner) relationship with one gender and, therefore, elect not to act on the attraction to the other gender.

Why Are Some People Homosexual or Bisexual?

Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation (including homosexuality and bisexuality) is the result of a combination of environmental, emotional, hormonal, and biological factors. In other words, there are many factors that contribute to a person's sexual orientation, and the factors may be different for different people.

However, homosexuality and bisexuality are not caused by the way a child was reared by his or her parents, or by having a sexual experience with someone of the same sex when the person was young. Also, being homosexual or bisexual does not mean the person is mentally ill or abnormal in some way, although there may be social problems that result from prejudicial attitudes or misinformation.

How Does a Person Know Their Sexual Orientation?

For many people, their sexual orientation becomes evident to them during adolescence or young adulthood, and in many cases without any sexual experience. For example, homosexuals become aware that their sexual thoughts and activities focus on people of the same sex. It is possible, however, to have fantasies or to be curious about people of the same sex without being homosexual or bisexual, or choosing to act on these impulses/attractions.

Can a Person's Sexual Orientation Be Changed?

Most experts agree that sexual orientation is not a choice and, therefore, cannot be changed. Some people who are homosexual or bisexual may hide their sexual orientation and/or live as heterosexuals to avoid the prejudice that exists against people who are homosexual and bisexual or to avoid their own moral dilemmas felt when their sexual orientation is incompatible with their personal beliefs.

OR This Link.

APA Help Center - Health & Emotional Wellness - "Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality"

And if you are interested into looking into what scripture does or doesn't say about homosexuality, here's a well referenced paper on the Uniting Church of Australia's website sourced from exegetical commentaries from a few of the well known biblical scholars who have researched this topic.

Considering the often cited biblical texts on homosexuality. (http://fou.uniting.com.au/texts.html - broken link)

That should get you started

Last edited by Ceist; 04-14-2009 at 07:42 AM..
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,899,211 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I've been accused of being bi-sexual and have not really ever been gay. I was told that most guys experiment during college with same sex encounters. I write a blog here on City-data and read these comments yesterday, along with many others.

If you have a same sex encounter, is it not homosexual sex? Does it make you gay if you have sex with another guy and he is your partner?

The Sciptures have been put out there by myself and others as to what it says about homosexuality. I believe that people are trying to create more problems when they say, "oh you were just bi-sexual, that's not really being gay!" So what is it then? To my knowledge nowhere in the Bible does it talk about bi-sexuality. It talks about a man and a woman and two men lying with one another.
Well you know the scriptures and from what I understand the world does whatever it can top justify disobedience to God with word play. Paul once wrote after listing sinners who will not inherit the kingdom "So were some of you but no longer" I see this as stating you have made mistakes and been identified with your sin or temptation, but no longer, you are given the strength thru the blood to resuist and reject such things. Dont let Satan misguide you with his wordplay, this is why the Lord specified "man shall not lay with man as with woman" and logically we can apply the same to women. The lord doesnt say "Maybe your gay or maybe your straight" but He does say "Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no". Too often these people want to confuse the truth and create a gray area which does not exist, either you sin or you dont and sexual sin is a willful sin and rebellion against God. But you know this because you have shared many of the verses with others. I have had people call be bisexual because of my same sex attraction and my choice to be attracted to and act upon the opposite sex. I have also been told that I am gay and miserable which is far from the truth considering I have been happily married for almost 22 years and my same sex attraction has nothing to do with sex anymore.

Dont let Satans wordplay distract you because what you know of God and sin can help alot of people who struggle with the lies of this world.

Keep up the good fight brother, you are appreciated not only by those of us who respond, but I am sure there are those who dont that get so much from your story and may possible accept the Lord with the knowledge that they are acceptable and no longer have to live in sin.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,540,277 times
Reputation: 7000
I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, but I don't think God gives a rip about your sexuality. If you feel attracted to a person (male or female) then we can assume that that is how God made you, and since god doesn't make mistakes, we can assume that God is comfortable with how you are.

This to me is the problem with the "inerrant Bible." It often flies in the face of reason. The Levitical rules were established for a reason. A primary motivation for the rules regarding sexuality had to do with creating children to perpetrate the race. Boys were needed to defend the nation, and girls were needed to breed boys. Further, promiscuous sexual activity encouraged STD's that claimed the youth. That is why a widow should marry her brother-in-law and keep it in the family......outside sex was dangerous.

If a person has genuine attractions to both genders they are bi-sexual. I am heterosexual......I have absolutely NO sexual interest in other men. I assume that if I were homosexual I would have absolutely NO interest in women. I also feel that if a person is consumed by lust, that lust is the driving force and the recipient or focus of that lust becomes irrelevant........if that lust becomes perverted then anything from a small child to an animal becomes a target of that lust.

But my own feelings are that God made us all.....gay, bi and straight.....and the only real sin is living outside His will........if you are gay, then God made you that way, and if you try to change, or be "cured," you will only make yourself and those around you unhappy.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 AM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,749,501 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, but I don't think God gives a rip about your sexuality. If you feel attracted to a person (male or female) then we can assume that that is how God made you, and since god doesn't make mistakes, we can assume that God is comfortable with how you are.

This to me is the problem with the "inerrant Bible." It often flies in the face of reason. The Levitical rules were established for a reason. A primary motivation for the rules regarding sexuality had to do with creating children to perpetrate the race. Boys were needed to defend the nation, and girls were needed to breed boys. Further, promiscuous sexual activity encouraged STD's that claimed the youth. That is why a widow should marry her brother-in-law and keep it in the family......outside sex was dangerous.

If a person has genuine attractions to both genders they are bi-sexual. I am heterosexual......I have absolutely NO sexual interest in other men. I assume that if I were homosexual I would have absolutely NO interest in women. I also feel that if a person is consumed by lust, that lust is the driving force and the recipient or focus of that lust becomes irrelevant........if that lust becomes perverted then anything from a small child to an animal becomes a target of that lust.

But my own feelings are that God made us all.....gay, bi and straight.....and the only real sin is living outside His will........if you are gay, then God made you that way, and if you try to change, or be "cured," you will only make yourself and those around you unhappy.
Great post Goodpasture - rep to you.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Reputation: 1837
[quote=Goodpasture;8335055]I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, but I don't think God gives a rip about your sexuality. If you feel attracted to a person (male or female) then we can assume that that is how God made you, and since god doesn't make mistakes, we can assume that God is comfortable with how you are.

I personally don't care how anyone else chooses to live their lives either, but you could justify ANY action with that argument. "If you feel like "blankety blank", then thats how God made you, and since God doesn't make mistakes, well"...... Insert- Baby Raping, Genocide, Speeding, Walking on your hands, whatever.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Reputation: 29917
Yes I disagree with you Goodpasture. God cares about everything in our lives. The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, and God would NEVER make anyone with the desire to sin, it is definitely NOT His will for us to live in sin.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,899,211 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, but I don't think God gives a rip about your sexuality. If you feel attracted to a person (male or female) then we can assume that that is how God made you, and since god doesn't make mistakes, we can assume that God is comfortable with how you are.

This to me is the problem with the "inerrant Bible." It often flies in the face of reason. The Levitical rules were established for a reason. A primary motivation for the rules regarding sexuality had to do with creating children to perpetrate the race. Boys were needed to defend the nation, and girls were needed to breed boys. Further, promiscuous sexual activity encouraged STD's that claimed the youth. That is why a widow should marry her brother-in-law and keep it in the family......outside sex was dangerous.

If a person has genuine attractions to both genders they are bi-sexual. I am heterosexual......I have absolutely NO sexual interest in other men. I assume that if I were homosexual I would have absolutely NO interest in women. I also feel that if a person is consumed by lust, that lust is the driving force and the recipient or focus of that lust becomes irrelevant........if that lust becomes perverted then anything from a small child to an animal becomes a target of that lust.

But my own feelings are that God made us all.....gay, bi and straight.....and the only real sin is living outside His will........if you are gay, then God made you that way, and if you try to change, or be "cured," you will only make yourself and those around you unhappy.
I am sorry GP but I cannot agree. God only directly created 2 people, Adam and Eve, all the rest were born in sin and sin encompasses them like a blanket their whole lives until they trully acept the Lord. If God was not concerned about someones sexuality He would not of even mentioned it in scripture. Then the whole Bible would just be a few words "I love you, just love each other, I dint care otherwise" But He wants us to be as Christ.

God showed us His will in the scriptures and if you chose to ignore the scriptures then you are outside Gods will and are living a selfish life and God wants nothing to do with selfishness. This is why He tells us to focus on Him, not because He is selfish but because He is Spirit and we should focus on Spiritual things and not allow the flesh to get in the way of the Spirit and Sexual Sin is the ultimate selfishness because it takes your focus off God and puts it on the flesh. God cannot accept selfishness no matter how we sugar coat it. We all know the scriptures and to ignore them is to be selfish and make ourselves out to be gods.
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I am sorry GP but I cannot agree. God only directly created 2 people, Adam and Eve, all the rest were born in sin and sin encompasses them like a blanket their whole lives until they trully acept the Lord. If God was not concerned about someones sexuality He would not of even mentioned it in scripture. Then the whole Bible would just be a few words "I love you, just love each other, I dint care otherwise" But He wants us to be as Christ.

God showed us His will in the scriptures and if you chose to ignore the scriptures then you are outside Gods will and are living a selfish life and God wants nothing to do with selfishness. This is why He tells us to focus on Him, not because He is selfish but because He is Spirit and we should focus on Spiritual things and not allow the flesh to get in the way of the Spirit and Sexual Sin is the ultimate selfishness because it takes your focus off God and puts it on the flesh. God cannot accept selfishness no matter how we sugar coat it. We all know the scriptures and to ignore them is to be selfish and make ourselves out to be gods.
I agree on an absolute morality. I disagree with hatred, prejudice, and judgementalism. Sometimes those who flaunt the bible do not reflect the teachings inside of it. There is an old saying in my part of the south..."If they was to tie a noose they'd have to lay their bibles down."
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Reputation: 47449
sexuality does not define us, if it did, our brain would not be on our shoulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top