U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how many of us here are Eastern Orthodox.

Happy Easter, people!

And a bunny-less (probably unpagan too) one at that

BBC NEWS | Europe | Orthodox Christians mark Easter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8006738.stm

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 04-19-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Do you see Putin, Medvedev and the rest in the picture below on that page?

It simply sends shivers down the spine.

This is the soil where the Bolsheviks, Leninists and Stalinists stood, vowing to root out Christianity off Russia, lock, stock and barrel.

And sure they did. Communist persecution of Christianity and the appended Boxer rebellion in China probably persecuted Christianity more than Rome itself, in terms of systematic destruction of churches, scriptures and ideology.

This itself is the miracle of the power of Christ. What more do we need to assert the power of the Almighty?

The very Christianity the communists sought to weed out is back at the heart of the Russian way of life.

Jesus saves and wins

Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,730,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Do you see Putin, Medvedev and the rest in the picture below on that page?

It simply sends shivers down the spine.

This is the soil where the Bolsheviks, Leninists and Stalinists stood, vowing to root out Christianity off Russia, lock, stock and barrel.

And sure they did. Communist persecution of Christianity and the appended Boxer rebellion in China probably persecuted Christianity more than Rome itself, in terms of systematic destruction of churches, scriptures and ideology.

This itself is the miracle of the power of Christ. What more do we need to assert the power of the Almighty?

The very Christianity the communists sought to weed out is back at the heart of the Russian way of life.

Jesus saves and wins

this begs for much, much more differentiation, beginning with a look on the map perhaps: it's a vast region with many ethnicities and excitement galore - but the people are exhausted, and impoverished for the most part.

freedom, after the fall of the iron curtain, soon needed religion back to alleviate the pain coming from the inevitable economic disaster!!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
this begs for much, much more differentiation, beginning with a look on the map perhaps: it's a vast region with many ethnicities and excitement galore - but the people are exhausted, and impoverished for the most part.

freedom, after the fall of the iron curtain, soon needed religion back to alleviate the pain coming from the inevitable economic disaster!!
Sorry, Eff. Tony begs to differ here. Yes, I can beg too

This is the primary argument of the areligious crowd, that poverty and suffering can buttress attachment to the divine, seeking to "alleviate" the pain.

As though 99% of the atheists are money-fat millionaires.

This is not the way the East works.

God is an active part of Eastern life. This is where I was born too. Despite the differing prosperity of life, God is an essential part of the eastern civilizations. The first thing we do when we wake up, christian, hindu or muslim, we begin the day by offering prayer to God.

Russia may have been poor in the immediate aftermath of the collapse of the USSR.

They are fast becoming the energy provider of all of Europe. I'm sure you may have heard of Gazprom's exploits, and how they have begun to control the EU. Economic prosperity is a drag and I'm sure they'll get there.

And I don't see eastern orthodoxy getting any weaker.

In concept, Orthodoxy is more intense than Latinist Christendom. Orthodoxy was also the blue print of Islam in terms of building architecture, hymns and prayers. Orthodoxy is here to stay

And if ever Obama and his cabinet is found together in church like Medvedev and Co., here, the entire USA will erupt like a volcano, led by the ACLU in Braveheart-style war paint and crude daggers/axes.

Yet, why they passively support Israel is beyond me. Enough politics now.

Happy Easter, Eastern Christians, you have an admirer here

Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,730,717 times
while i enjoy reading (more?) informed colossal posts, my gut feeling tends to be formed by information like this ..

Russian roulette | New Humanist

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity