U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM

12,382 posts, read 14,730,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I'm beginning to think all those who are "literalists" must have never taken a course in school on what a metaphor is...
What if I decided to go on a journey of mysticism right now? What if I told you I was going to seek Christ right this very minute but I was going to do it through more 'mystical' means? Why would it matter to any of you if the outcome was that I found Christ?
Well, I understand exactly what you are trying to get across here, Troop..If any hard core non believer told me he was seeking Christ through mysticism, I would not for the life of me interfere..I would think that any way he seeks Christ is a step into faith..I would think how amazing my God is in that He knows how to draw unbelievers to Him through what appeals to them..The worst thing I could do to that seeker is to start thumping my personal belief on Him..I would let the Holy Spirit do His job and would be on the sidelines to watch that person gain belief..and to help him along if he desires me to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM

6,584 posts, read 8,554,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Can you show me where the cross, blood atonement, forgiveness of sins, repentance, the divinity of Jesus, and the resurrection of Jesus is in mysticism? Can you show me where all of these exist in mysticism?

If and when you cannot, then I would say that path to mysticism will lead you to hell. As I mentioned earlier, only with the calling of the Holy Spirit out from the veil of mysticism will you be delivered to the truth. Mysticism will not take you there.
I'm not sure if you're really as dense as you come off or if you're doing it on purpose but I seriously do not understand what part you are having a hard time comprehending.

I never said mysticism has any specific qualities. For all intensive purposes, to my knowledge, we have not even defined specifically what mysticism is on this thread as of the moment.

Nonetheless, the thread is "Coming to Christ." Now, I'm not sure if in your part of "Carolina" how the word "Coming" is used or understood but I generally take it to mean something along the lines of an approach or something that is about to happen due to some sort of process.

So, unless you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "Coming" means which would imply you don't even know what your OP is about, I am referring to the path one takes to recognize the sacrifice of Jesus, the blood atonement, and all of the other stuff you listed.

If I came to that understanding through mysticism, through a magic eight ball, or through an interesting statement written on the bathroom wall of my favorite bar and grille why would it matter?!

Am I the only one in this forum trying to keep YOUR thread on topic? So, let me say it again, "COMING TO CHRIST" means specifically that, in my mind -

The journey (or road or path or trail or mountain pass) that one takes in order to come to a final understanding of all the things you clamor on about as being requirements for "salvation."

Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,499,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It is fine to express whatever opinions you wish when you are representing yourself, but when you are undertaking duties of moderation I find it quite inappropriate to mix your personal views with forum organization tasks by including statements such as "in light of the Truth of the Bible".
So because I moderate I can't post or state my opinion?

Sorry, that wasn't part of the deal and if it were, I wouldn't be moderating.

I'm entitled to post and have opinions just like everyone else here.

Sorry to disappoint.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM

8,830 posts, read 6,173,491 times
It's really bizarre to me that atheists are arguing for mysticism. It's even more bizarre that atheists would taunt, tease and name call in a Christian forum Oh wait....it's not bizarre, it's Satan!!! Bizarre went on vacation.

And to keep C_g's thread on topic..............it's way more complex than just mysticism.......it's all lies perpetrated by the evil one that have to be brought to light. C_g is right and He has courage for speaking the only TRUTH in a lost world that hates that truth. Hmmm....speaking of TRUTH....gives me an idea for another thread.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,597,474 times
Quote:
Huh? I figured for even the most simple-minded it would be rather easy not to contradict oneself with two sentences. I guess I'm wrong. How can you say it makes no sense at all and then say you see what I'm saying?

So, let me get this straight because, like June, I've pretty much lost hope and whatever hope there is I continue to lose it but just so I'm clear...

If I decided to undertake a "spiritual journey" in something like mysticism and the end result was that I ended up believing in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, he being the son of God, and achieved "salvation" because of that journey why does it matter what path I took to get there?

The glaring hypocrisy of your form of Christianity is insipid and filled with narrow-mindedness. I suppose it would be OK if I were a murderer sentenced to die; a prison pastor (or perhaps another inmate) told me about Jesus and I said "Oh wow, that makes so much sense. I accept all of it. Forgive me Lord for I have sinned!" That would be OK, right? Because I did it your way, right? It doesn't matter that the path I took to get there involved me murdering someone, that was just a necessary step I had to take in order to being "saved," right?

But, if I achieved the same end result by undergoing a "mystical" journey (without the murdering) that wouldn't be the same thing, right? That's just non-biblical and there's no way I could obtain that same "eschatological" understanding unless I do as carolina_guy says I should do, right?

Now, that's a lot for me to comprehend given the idea that Jesus and God are supposed to work in so many ways. Hell, apparently God speaks to people through pieces of toast and crying statues in order to get them to believe but he refuses to do anything through "mystical" avenues.

So, if all of what I said above is against the "Word of God" then pardon me but I will continue to reject and blaspheme against such a petty, small-minded, and dictatorial monster. And, I will continue to fall short of understanding exactly why I should be worshiping such a thing.
What??!! sorry but your assumptions are way off.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Well, I understand exactly what you are trying to get across here, Troop..If any hard core non believer told me he was seeking Christ through mysticism, I would not for the life of me interfere..I would think that any way he seeks Christ is a step into faith..I would think how amazing my God is in that He knows how to draw unbelievers to Him through what appeals to them..The worst thing I could do to that seeker is to start thumping my personal belief on Him..I would let the Holy Spirit do His job and would be on the sidelines to watch that person gain belief..and to help him along if he desires me to..
I can appreciate that but they need to hear the gospel, are you not commanded by Jesus?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM

4,271 posts, read 3,601,276 times
Quote:
That doesn't answer anything. It's a child's song written for children incapable of grasping the complexity of spiritual thought. We're trying to have an adult conversation on this subject.

There is nothing in your response to suggest that your particular path to Christ is any more or less likely to lead to rejoicing and singing the victory of which you speak (makes it sound like we're competing against someone) than mine.

Why is it so hard to imagine that Christ just might be powerful enough to accommodate more than one worldview?
Yes, a child full of IMAGINATIONS. Correct. You asked: "Why is it so hard to imagine that Christ just might be powerful enough to accommodate more than one worldview"? That's just it!! You don't have to imagine! He already gave the answer to that question. It goes like this: I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man comes to the Father but by Me. John 14:6

Not through Mysticism, Buddhism, Islamism, Sinnerism, and any other ism and scism!! Which part of that do you not understand? Especially coming from Christ Himself? What else do you need to know? The truth is not good enough for you? Straight from the Master Himself? Really?

Again, yes a child full of imagination..............

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,372,581 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're really as dense as you come off or if you're doing it on purpose but I seriously do not understand what part you are having a hard time comprehending.

I never said mysticism has any specific qualities. For all intensive purposes, to my knowledge, we have not even defined specifically what mysticism is on this thread as of the moment.

Nonetheless, the thread is "Coming to Christ." Now, I'm not sure if in your part of "Carolina" how the word "Coming" is used or understood but I generally take it to mean something along the lines of an approach or something that is about to happen due to some sort of process.

So, unless you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "Coming" means which would imply you don't even know what your OP is about, I am referring to the path one takes to recognize the sacrifice of Jesus, the blood atonement, and all of the other stuff you listed.

If I came to that understanding through mysticism, through a magic eight ball, or through an interesting statement written on the bathroom wall of my favorite bar and grille why would it matter?!

Am I the only one in this forum trying to keep YOUR thread on topic? So, let me say it again, "COMING TO CHRIST" means specifically that, in my mind -

The journey (or road or path or trail or mountain pass) that one takes in order to come to a final understanding of all the things you clamor on about as being requirements for "salvation."
I am going to ignore your patronizing attitude and cut to the chase. What I'm saying is that those things I listed are not in mysticism!

Did you even read the article in the OP? Here, read this if you want to learn more about mysticism and exactly what it is: The Deception of Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism and the Threat to Christianity There are dozens of articles throughout that thread.

I can't believe you are in here even defending mysticism when you have no idea what it is about.

This thread is not called COMING TO CHRIST it's called COMING TO CHRIST THROUGH MYSTICISM, which is an oxymoron.

You are not a Christian, and you don't have an understanding of mysticism, yet you are attempting to defend a path of mysticism to obtain salvation through Christ.

If you want to have a discussion, do it without the condescending front.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
All of those acts were acts of mysticism emerging from Christ's direct relationship to the Father.

What more proof do you need when the very one you worship was a mystic?

I suspect that the root concern you have over this path is rooted in a misunderstanding of what it actually is. You have closed your mind to considering us as being of Christ, so you have closed yourself to seeing your own truth in Christ reflected in our truth in Christ.
No they are not

Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,372,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
It's really bizarre to me that atheists are arguing for mysticism. It's even more bizarre that atheists would taunt, tease and name call in a Christian forum Oh wait....it's not bizarre, it's Satan!!! Bizarre went on vacation.

And to keep C_g's thread on topic..............it's way more complex than just mysticism.......it's all lies perpetrated by the evil one that have to be brought to light. C_g is right and He has courage for speaking the only TRUTH in a lost world that hates that truth. Hmmm....speaking of TRUTH....gives me an idea for another thread.
I just saw this after my last post. An atheist arguing for mysticism....rrriiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttttt... ..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity