Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This is a truly beautiful post. Of course, no one has answered the questions within it.

You attack many very peaceful paths with your charges against mysticism. I will say again, is it really that bad that someone elevates above any desire to sin rather than depends upon an authoritarian figure to dictate that they do not sin?

"Me! Me! Teacher, teacher, my hands up first, I can answer all those questions that the nice gentleman posted on the board (post #134)", said the kid with a smile . Well, go right ahead Betsey", replied the teacher. "Can you really respond to the 1000 questions using only one answer?" asked the teacher. "Sure can!! Said the excited Betsey.

Here goes............................. "See you when we get there, what a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times
Default Post #132

Quote:
I know you think you got a zinger of some sort in there, but your post makes no sense. History happens. No one allowed yesterday to happen besides perhaps God. It just did.

If you read what I wrote, I was commenting on the fact that the fundamentalist argument is rooted in a history that has been rewritten from actual events to serve an ideology and formulate a mythology.

Fundamentalists allow history to be rewritten. That was the point of that phrase.

You might want to go back and re-check your work, before you hand it in. Please go back to your seat and re-read what you've posted, and correct you're mistakes. Thank you Bluefly.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Don't you as well?
No . . . I am here to witness to the profound truth that changed my life . . . God is real, unconditional love and acceptance is God's true nature, and Jesus is the Way to connect with God in agape love.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

All roads don't lead to the same place now, be careful!! You might have your "stories" mix-up. This is'nt about Dorothy, the Witch, and clicking of heels. This is about: GCSTroop, his soul, and where he'll end up!!

I'm beginning to think all those who are "literalists" must have never taken a course in school on what a metaphor is...

I was not saying that all roads lead to Christ. My metaphorical question was whether it really mattered what road was taken once you "arrived" there? Because the entire subject of this thread is called "Coming to Christ through Mysticism." If one seeks to come to Christ through mysticism or through a talking Porta-Potty does it really matter to you if they end up with the same end result?

What if I decided to go on a journey of mysticism right now? What if I told you I was going to seek Christ right this very minute but I was going to do it through more 'mystical' means? Why would it matter to any of you if the outcome was that I found Christ?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Tell ya what, ASAP I'm going to move some of these posts to a new thread on reincarnation in scripture.

Where we can discuss it there in light of the Truth of the Bible and not be off-topic.

OK?
It is fine to express whatever opinions you wish when you are representing yourself, but when you are undertaking duties of moderation I find it quite inappropriate to mix your personal views with forum organization tasks by including statements such as "in light of the Truth of the Bible".

Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What if I decided to go on a journey of mysticism right now? What if I told you I was going to seek Christ right this very minute but I was going to do it through more 'mystical' means? Why would it matter to any of you if the outcome was that I found Christ?
Can you show me where the cross, blood atonement, forgiveness of sins, repentance, the divinity of Jesus, and the resurrection of Jesus is in mysticism? Can you show me where all of these exist in mysticism?

If and when you cannot, then I would say that path to mysticism will lead you to hell. As I mentioned earlier, only with the calling of the Holy Spirit out from the veil of mysticism will you be delivered to the truth. Mysticism will not take you there.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Quote:
It is fine to express whatever opinions you wish when you are representing yourself, but when you are undertaking duties of moderation I find it quite inappropriate to mix your personal views with forum organization tasks by including statements such as "in light of the Truth of the Bible".
He may be a moderator, but he is first and foremost a Christian, and this is the Christian forum, and the Bible is the source of truth. There is nothing wrong with his proposition.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
"Me! Me! Teacher, teacher, my hands up first, I can answer all those questions that the nice gentleman posted on the board (post #134)", said the kid with a smile . Well, go right ahead Betsey", replied the teacher. "Can you really respond to the 1000 questions using only one answer?" asked the teacher. "Sure can!! Said the excited Betsey.

Here goes............................. "See you when we get there, what a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory"!!
That doesn't answer anything. It's a child's song written for children incapable of grasping the complexity of spiritual thought. We're trying to have an adult conversation on this subject.

There is nothing in your response to suggest that your particular path to Christ is any more or less likely to lead to rejoicing and singing the victory of which you speak (makes it sound like we're competing against someone) than mine.

Why is it so hard to imagine that Christ just might be powerful enough to accommodate more than one worldview?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
He may be a moderator, but he is first and foremost a Christian, and this is the Christian forum, and the Bible is the source of truth. There is nothing wrong with his proposition.
There absolutely is when his OPINION about the truth of the Bible is mixed with his duties regarding organization of forum threads on the same post.

It is what we refer to as a 'conflict of interest'.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Can you show me where the cross, blood atonement, forgiveness of sins, repentance, the divinity of Jesus, and the resurrection of Jesus is in mysticism? Can you show me where all of these exist in mysticism?
All of those acts were acts of mysticism emerging from Christ's direct relationship to the Father.

What more proof do you need when the very one you worship was a mystic?

I suspect that the root concern you have over this path is rooted in a misunderstanding of what it actually is. You have closed your mind to considering us as being of Christ, so you have closed yourself to seeing your own truth in Christ reflected in our truth in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity