Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 PM

696 posts, read 915,281 times

Advertisements

Do you truly love the Bible? Is it the word of God to you? Do you lament what those who discount it do to your Word? Lets take a look at two people who attempted to remove the book you love.

First lets look at the Roman emporer Diocletian who lived from A.D. 245-313. He decreed in A.D. 303 that every Bible should be destroyed. The assumption was that if he could destroy the Bible he could then destory Christianity. The premise was, "Christians are a people of the Book." Irony here since there are those in the world who use this term even now. Upon feeling he had succeded, Diocletian raised a column with this inscription in Latin: "Extincto nomene Christianorum" which means, "the name of Christian is extinguised."

Yet, Constantine replaced him in A.D. 312 removing pagan symbols and replacing them with the cross. Now you can debate Roman influence and the idea of organized religon on your own, but consider this what was once proclaimed dead in less than 10 years survived. The Book is among you even today.

Now lets even jump ahead over 1000 years to the time of Voltaire who lived from 1694-1778. This athiest boasted, "One hundred years from my day there will not be a Bible in the earth except one that is looked upon by an antiquarian curiosity seeker." Now with the first decade of this century completed and things ever looking darker, how great it is that our Bible still exists. It is 2010 and the great Voltaire missed his mark by some 200 plus years and counting. True evidence of a false "prophet", wouldn't you say?

However, lets look into what happened after Voltaire passed away. The Geneva Bible Society purchased his house 20 years after his death for the printing of the Bible. It later became the British and Foriegn Bible Society headquarters which distributed Bibles throughout Europe.

I found this in my studies last night. Along with this I found a quote I had heard before. it reminds me of all those who claim the Old Testament specifically is more myth than anything. Or that the sacrifices were not needed. That divine love is all you need. Or that man is falible. The list goes on. Yet, this verse was true with these two men as it is with naysayers now.....

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40 verse 8

Isaiah rightly spoke in the eighth century B.C. I guess he was a falible man, not so highly enlightened in his age as those of this age so highly exhault themselves. Christians you know your Truth!

May The Lord God Jesus Christ find you in Truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM

331 posts, read 498,712 times
AMEN! ...AGAIN!

The atheists can say all the rude, hateful, downright disrespectful things they like. But the fact remains, they are in denial. Because His love, along with his Book, endures forever!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
AMEN! ...AGAIN!

The atheists can say all the rude, hateful, downright disrespectful things they like. But the fact remains, they are in denial. Because His love, along with his Book, endures forever!
Um...er...okay.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,157 times
Make your confession of faith with the actual words God chose to make His revelation known, verifying what is important or disputed by going to the original languages. Implement the authority of Scripture by the use of concordances to verify what is or is not written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity