U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2009, 07:52 PM

140 posts, read 305,243 times
Cool Wesleyan Denomination?

We recently moved to a new state and visited a community church that is part of the Wesleyan denomination, which is unfamiliar to me. I was wondering, what is the theological perspective of the church? Would this be similar to Methodism- which I know a little more about, but not much. I am looking for any knowledge about the church you may have. Also- if you are familiar with various denominations, I was raised Lutheran and my husband CRC, so these are familiar to me if you care to compare/ contrast with them. Our beliefs align more with Luther than Calvin. I just really want to know if this could be the church for us or if we will keep looking. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by supermom0204; 04-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: error
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,383,879 times
The Wesleyan church I used to attend seemed to be a more conservative version of the United Methodist church. I haven't done any sort of in-depth study of Wesleyan vs. other denominations though.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks! Do you have any examples of how it seemed more conservative? A few years ago we attended a community church that was affiliated with the UMC and we loved that church!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,033,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
We recently moved to a new state and visited a community church that is part of the Wesleyan denomination, which is unfamiliar to me. I was wondering, what is the theological perspective of the church? Would this be similar to Methodism- which I know a little more about, but not much. I am looking for any knowledge about the church you may have. Also- if you are familiar with various denominations, I was raised Lutheran and my husband CRC, so these are familiar to me if you care to compare/ contrast with them. Our beliefs align more with Luther than Calvin. I just really want to know if this could be the church for us or if we will keep looking. Thanks for your help!
Greetings, supermom: Wesleyan denominations are distinguished by their teaching that while man comes to salvation solely through grace, he can resist that grace and refuse to accept God's gift. Another distinctive of Wesleyanism (or Arminianism) is the belief that a believer can lose his salvation by rejecting Christ through willful sin and be again in need of salvation. Since you seem to distance yourself from the teachings of Calvin (who taught the opposite of these beliefs), perhaps these things are of no significance for you.

A big distinctive between Lutheranism and Wesleyanism is the understanding of baptism--Lutherans advocate and practice infant baptism while Wesleyans perform believer's baptism (i.e. only those who are old enough to understand salvation and believe are baptized).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Preterist

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 AM

Yes this helps a lot, thank you! I'm not sure about the different view on baptism, I do believe in baptizing infants. Oddly enough though, my kids who are 7 and 5 have not been baptized. I was hoping to get them baptized now that we are a few states away from our 2 very different families and belief systems. Thanks for your helpful info!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,655 times
1 Corinthians 13; 1-2
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing.

I erased my previous post (edited) for many reasons.

Last edited by JimmieBabz; 09-02-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity