U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,557,454 times
Default When someone says "I'll Pray for you"

Something has been bugging me and I want to know what all of you think about this. When someone is being mean or hurtful to you and not acting in a Christian manner, yet then stare you in the face and say "But I'll Pray for You"....how do you react? It seems sad to me that as Christians sometimes "I'll Pray for you" is used as a jab. I don't undertand that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:57 PM

20,005 posts, read 20,321,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Something has been bugging me and I want to know what all of you think about this. When someone is being mean or hurtful to you and not acting in a Christian manner, yet then stare you in the face and say "But I'll Pray for You"....how do you react? It seems sad to me that as Christians sometimes "I'll Pray for you" is used as a jab. I don't undertand that.
The best thing to do is just walk away.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM

No I agree, but I guess I should have asked, how does it leave you feeling? That would be the better question I guess.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM

10,028 posts, read 6,419,980 times
I'll say thank you, and I will pray to my Creator for you also....

Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 PM

You all know I am tender-hearted. I guess what I am saying is I don't understand how someone being cruel can be genuine in saying they are going to "Pray for you"...this wasn't something that happened to me, but something I saw happen. It upset me. I guess I just wondered if you guys had encountered that and does it upset you that people sometimes "use their faith" to make jabs at others?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,839,289 times
I would say don't bother.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 PM

6,573 posts, read 8,434,053 times
Quote:
Can I offer my opinion because I get the feeling that I've heard those particular four words more often than most people. It usually comes at the end of a debate. It is, in my opinion, often a phrase used to get the last word in and more often than not to add insult to injury disguised behind a phrase that is actually meant to be used as a progressive thing.

I think there is a genuine goodness behind the phrase depending on the context. In many cases and situations, it can be construed along the same parallels as "I'll think happy thoughts for you" or "I wish you the best" and even those, depending on the context, can sometimes be used with less than the best of intentions.

I often feel that "I'll pray for you" is very often a suggestion of smug superiority. I think what the person really means to say is something along these lines - "I can't stand you, Troop. You've literally made me pull my hair out and I am sick and tired of you. I am going to pray that your mind changes and that you begin to think more like me because I own the truth."

Don't get me wrong. I think some people use it with genuinely good and wholesome intentions. But, I think in the context you're referring to little_thirsty, I presume you to mean that little phrase that often comes at the end of a debate or argument, right?

If caught in the wrong mood, I'll usually just respond "And I'll think for you."

Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,582,949 times
I find that phrase to be the the most insulting in any conversation with religious extremists. They are essentially saying, "I will pray that you someday realize I am right and agree with me."

That's why I like to use it back on them.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 PM

20,005 posts, read 20,321,562 times
Quote:
You all know I am tender-hearted. I guess what I am saying is I don't understand how someone being cruel can be genuine in saying they are going to "Pray for you"...this wasn't something that happened to me, but something I saw happen. It upset me. I guess I just wondered if you guys had encountered that and does it upset you that people sometimes "use their faith" to make jabs at others?
Yes you are very tenderhearted Little T, your heart is as big as Texas.
I know people like this are never going to pray for me because they don't have a clue as to what that really means and the power there is in prayers, and if they do, their prayers won't go past the ceiling.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM

1,597 posts, read 595,012 times
Quote:
It's condescending and arrogant, if you ask me. By saying that, they are trying to make you feel inferior. It's a cleverly disguised attempt to tell you they are right and you are wrong. How to react? Rebuff it. Tell them you don't want the prayers of someone who is so blatantly mean-spirited, and that you are fully capable of praying for yourself if you feel so led.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity