U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,581,237 times

Advertisements

I want someone to explain to me the fundamentalist "love" that says you are allowed to annoy the hell out of people who disagree with you and cause their threads to get closed.

If they ever wanted me to have any respect for ANY of them at all, forget it. I don't need they're brand of "love". IMO, they're nothing to me but a bunch of self-centered, arrogant, condescending know-it-alls who think they own the world and have the sole handle on faith and morals. I'd rather take a flying leap off a cliff before adhering to they're brand of theology. Throughout my life, they've done nothing but make me feel worthless and condemned. Hardly the love that Jesus preached. I consider them a bunch of hypocrites, and want nothing to do with them.

Last edited by aquila; 04-26-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Cleaning up the language

Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 PM

305 posts, read 1,041,448 times
respect the bible...............

Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,793,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I want someone to explain to me the fundamentalist "love" that says you are allowed to annoy the hell out of people who disagree with you and cause their threads to get closed.

If you ever wanted me to have any respect for any of you at all, forget it. I don't need your brand of love. You're nothing to me but a bunch of self-centered brats who think you own the world and have the sole handle on faith and morals. I'd rather take flying leap off a cliff before adhering to your brand of theology. Throughout my life, you've done nothing but make me feel worthless and condemned. Hardly the love that Jesus preached. Bunch of hypocrites!
Amen to that.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 PM

Honestly. I issued a clear request in the OP of my thread, and sure enough someone had to come along and blatantly disregard that. How am I supposed to respect them? Now the thread is closed for mod-review, and I'm sure they're jumping for joy. If that is the "love" they profess to have for others, I don't want it. I hope they're happy about driving people farther and farther away from Jesus with their condescending attitudes.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,698,855 times
I must protest

Fundamentalists are the need of the hour. I don't even know why the word has become to be attached with negative connotation, over time.

Fundamentalists adhere to the basic tenets of faith. These tenets are fundamental and cannot be compromised upon.

Why am I thinking of the infamous tale of the Arab and the Camel?

A little more lenience, asked the Camel.

Ok, more liberal, now half the camel is in.

A little more? And the whole camel is in.

What gets kicked out of the tent is Christianity

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
respect the bible...............
I respect the Bible. I just don't agree with the fundamentalist view of it.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,063,538 times
Its not about respecting the bible.

I read some where that we must resolutely refuse to judge Jesus by the Bible. We must judge the Bible by Jesus.

makes sense to me.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM

61 posts, read 73,474 times
I respect the bible for its morals and teachings however the fundamentalists need to realise that the bible is fundamentally flawed. In the very opening verses of gensis the bible contradicts itself.

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" - Genesis 1:3-5

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day." - Genesis 1:14-19

So uhm, did god create, the sun and separate light and darkness on the first day or the fourth day? Perhaps he did it twice? But if god is so perfect then why would he need to do things twice as stated in the bible?

Another contradicion wich occurs early in the bible are in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2. In genesis 1, it clearly states that trees were created before man. In genesis 2, it clearly states that man was created before trees. So which is it? What we need to understand is that the bible is just a book of stories to inspire moral teachings upon the followers of jesus christ. Man wrote the bible, not god and therefore the mistakes aparrent were man made along with the stories contained.

The only "love" fundamentalists get from literal interpretation of the bible is their love of self riteousness and their love of wanting to be right. This is what connects them with the god in which they believe. God is always right. Therefore if we are always right, if we are not gods, then one day we will be with god. If the bible is the word of god, and god is always right, then we must follow the bible or else!

Or else what? If fundamentalists don't blindly believe in the word for word translations of the bible rather than interpretation of the morals then they might actually question the origins of their bibles or whatever version they claim to be true. They might discover that the version of the bible they are reading to be true differs from the version of the bible their neighbours believe to be true. But all believe in the one true god and so its okay.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,362,814 times
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly. I issued a clear request in the OP of my thread, and sure enough someone had to come along and blatantly disregard that. How am I supposed to respect them? Now the thread is closed for mod-review, and I'm sure they're jumping for joy. If that is the "love" they profess to have for others, I don't want it. I hope they're happy about driving people farther and farther away from Jesus with their condescending attitudes.

Jesus left us a comforter the Holy Spirit;
The Holy Spirit is a sweet spirit, and the fruits of the spirit are:
Love
Joy
Peace
Longsuffering
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control

What this means is that God's love, God's peace, God's joy and God's goodness can start to be transmitted up into our personality. These are His attributes and personality qualities that will start to flow and mesh into the core of our personality.

Jesus has already told us that He is the vine and we are the branches. The branches draw their life from the vine - not vice versa. Just as the branch draws its life from the vine, so too must we draw our life directly from Jesus. Jesus will release His life into us through the Holy Spirit in the exact same way that the vine will release the life of the tree into the branches.
You can be the greatest man of God and have some of the greatest gifts of God flowing through you - but if you are not walking with all of this in the spirit of love and humility, it will have all been for naught.
Quality or state of being kind

The steadfast love that maintains relationships through gracious aid in times of need

Goodness of heart, serviceable, good, gracious, pleasant

Love for mankind, hospitality, acts of kindness, readiness to help, human friendship, benevolence, taking thought of others

Goodness in action, sweetness of disposition, gentleness in dealing with others, affability

The ability to act for the welfare of those taxing your patience

One of the key qualities a nonbeliever will pick up on in a solid Christian is this quality of goodness. This quality has an ability to really get down deep into the core of a believer's personality. To those who really have this quality, you can tell that it is something operating deep down inside of them. This quality is not something that waivers like some of the other qualities can. These people are good down to their very cores of their personalities. You can see it and feel it when you get around these types of people.
As a result of seeing this God-like goodness deeply ingrained into their personalities, there is an immediate drawing towards them. You feel safe around them because you know you can totally trust them and you know they would never deliberately hurt you.

Willing to pardon injuries, correct faults. One who rules his spirit well

Self Control-
Here are some of the definitions of what the quality of self-control is all about:

Temperance, rational restraint of natural impulses
Sober, temperate, calm and dispassionate approach to life, having mastered personal desires and passions

Calls for a self-disciplined life following Christ's example of being in the world but not of the world

Restraint or discipline exercised over one's behavior

The Bible tells us that our spirits and our flesh will war against each other in this life. Our flesh wants immediate self-gratification at all costs and will stop at nothing to try and get it. Our spirits know that some of our fleshly desires are not right for us and as a result, there will be a tug of war between the two - and sometimes it will be a major tug of war. And the only thing that will be able to curb and control some of the desires of our flesh is the quality of self-control.

Since we all live in a very self-centered and materialistic type world today, many people have very poor impulse control. If they see something they immediately want, they will do anything they can to try and get it. They will not be denied until they get what they are going after.

These people are obviously very weak in the quality of self-control. They are ruled by their own flesh rather than by the Holy Spirit. That is why the Bible tells us that if we learn how to really walk in the Holy Spirit, then we will not fulfill the lusts of our flesh.

If you don't have God's self-control operating through you - you will have very little victory over such things as bad tempers, judgmental and critical spirits, an unforgiving spirit, and vices such as smoking and the abuse of alcohol. drugs, foul language etc.

The above definitions perfectly describe what God is looking for once He starts to work and transmit this quality up into our personalities. This specific quality is one of the major keys in being able to get any kind of victory over some of the lusts and desires of our flesh.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,362,814 times
Quote:
Quote:

You as a Christian, must show love and respect in order to receive it..
You have to do your part and leave the rest up to God..
Or you can become a stumbling block to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity