U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,581,285 times
Reputation: 939

Advertisements

If you found out tomorrow you only had one day left....How would you use it? Would you repair a broken relationship? Would you speak to that one person you don't see" eye to eye with? Fix a broken heart? Heal an old wound? How would you use that ONE day? Would you "finally" believe God is real? Would you spend the time in repentance? What would you do if you were forewarned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,008,521 times
Reputation: 58210
Good question Betsey.

I would continue what I've been doing for the last 3 days....painting a garage. I made a commitment, so that's what I would do. I have no regrets and no more loose ends. It's a great place to be.

Oh and I would probably be singing at the top of my lungs because one more day and I get to see Jesus!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
702 posts, read 864,760 times
Reputation: 205
(My quot function won't work so I'll try this way
DayoftheLord said:
Oh and I would probably be singing at the top of my lungs because one more day and I get to see Jesus!!

What are you looking upon now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
702 posts, read 864,760 times
Reputation: 205
While I understand the question, agreeing that it is a good one and that it could provoke some to examine their priorities, it is unbiblical to assume as popular tradition teaches, that death determines destiny or that only God loves you until you die. Some answer that I'm thereby teaching people have a 2nd chance; but, there is no 1st chance. God is not operating this by chance!

After Jesus died on the cross Peter says He preached to the spirits in prison that had been disobedient in the days of Noah. "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient (no longer disobedient means their prison was working), when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water." (1 Pet 3:18-20, AV) It is definitely taught by God's own word that: "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pet 4:6, AV)

In the book of Jonah in the Bible it says after Jonah died and went to hell FOREVER he prayed and God saved him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,008,521 times
Reputation: 58210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
(My quot function won't work so I'll try this way
DayoftheLord said:
Oh and I would probably be singing at the top of my lungs because one more day and I get to see Jesus!!

What are you looking upon now?
Oh good grief!!! Lighten up and quit nit-picking everything to death!

I get so sick of people trying to steal the joy that we have as Christians.....it's a tool of Satan and sorry....doesn't work on me. I look forward to the day I will see Jesus face to face, so sorry that you don't have that same joy. Just answer the question that Betsey asked and reflect on why it is you feel the need to try and dampen spirits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 12,261,064 times
Reputation: 3471
I would watch the sun rise, not just see it, but watch the colors of the sky change while drinking a cup of coffee. If I am lucky I would be out at my cabin watching the fog lift off the lake with the waterfowl starting to make their morning calls.

After cooking a good breakfast with my family, I would take a ride on the four wheeler to just be out in the woods, parking on places where I can overlook the landscape.

As the evening sets in, I would watch the colors of the sunset cover the sky over a BBQ and if I was lucky enough to have a bit more time, I would watch the Northern Lights come out and cover the Alaskan Night sky while soaking in the hot tub.

But having my family with me would make it the best touch of all.

If God doesn't know what I have been doing my whole life by now, then I am not going to spend the last day of my life groveling to get him to change his mind.

A bolt of lighting hits and kills you instantly, then what, have you wasted your whole life and didn't have time to ask for forgiveness if you didn't live the life. I would assume that by then you are a bit late and the joke is on you.

Last edited by starlite9; 04-30-2009 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 3,094,111 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
While I understand the question, agreeing that it is a good one and that it could provoke some to examine their priorities, it is unbiblical to assume as popular tradition teaches, that death determines destiny or that only God loves you until you die. Some answer that I'm thereby teaching people have a 2nd chance; but, there is no 1st chance. God is not operating this by chance!

After Jesus died on the cross Peter says He preached to the spirits in prison that had been disobedient in the days of Noah. "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient (no longer disobedient means their prison was working), when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water." (1 Pet 3:18-20, AV) It is definitely taught by God's own word that: "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pet 4:6, AV)

In the book of Jonah in the Bible it says after Jonah died and went to hell FOREVER he prayed and God saved him.
Why don't you start another thread on this topic--you are completely misunderstanding 1 Peter 3 and 4! I don't want to get into it here and derail Betsey's thread.

Preterist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,581,285 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Why don't you start another thread on this topic--you are completely misunderstanding 1 Peter 3 and 4! I don't want to get into it here and derail Betsey's thread.

Preterist
Thank you preterist for not derailing.... Without "getting into it" anywhere, just briefly, how would you spend that one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
Reputation: 18105
I would spend the first part of that one day making things right with whomever I owe an apology to and would pray that God forgive anyone who has done harm to myself..I would spend time with my family assuring them that I was looking forward to the next life and have no fear of death or what was on the other side I would give them the letters I have written to each of them and tell them what a blessing they have been to me and that they remember me with laughter,,..My last hours would be spent alone in prayer surrounded by the beauty of nature that has always made me feel His presence so much..and I would wait and watch for His appearance to lead me home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Reputation: 4516
I've got a lot of unused credit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top