Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM

48 posts, read 40,044 times

Advertisements

Forgive, but don't forget is my motto. You should forgive people, but if the relationship is hurtful or abusive, then you should let it go. That doesn't mean you are holding a grudge. It just means that you are being smart about things and are not going to let people walk all over you. We all have friendships in life that we outgrow or need to end if they end up hurting us. That doesn't make you any less of a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Recently, I was involved in a bitter dispute with a friend of mine that really escalated to the point that we probably will not speak to each other again. During a cooling off period, I was asking myself what I should do about the matter; while thinking, a voice "popped" in and told me that I should just forgive him and try to let it go. After a while, I wanted to try and reconcile, but in a moment of pride just completely blew up in his face. I apologized a little later, but I feel the damage is done. I don't want to hold anything against him, but I can't seem to get over how frustrated I was with him. That's why I am asking this question; if you forgive someone, does that mean you absolve them of everything they did and agree to never hold it against them again or does it mean to absolve them yet retain the knowledge of their actions so as to not fall into the trap again. Personally, I am inclined to follow the second one, but everytime I recall what happened I just get mad again. What do I do?
Forgiveness is for yourself...so that you can feel at peace....it's waaaaay easier than staying angry...way less energy. Forgiveness NEVER absolves them from their wrong doing and OF COURSE you're going to hold it against them...by doing exactly what you said.....remembering what they've done so that you don't "fall into" that trap again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity