U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM
 
7,765 posts, read 9,370,275 times
Reputation: 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This violent, divisive, militaristic attitude from certain sects of Christianity disturbs me. I see no shred of Christ here.

If you wish to claim that you follow the Prince of Peace, then stop waging war against "enemies". The only enemy lies within your own heart.
Not according to Christianity.

And this is the Christianity sub-forum, ya know?

 
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,028 posts, read 6,413,922 times
Reputation: 6479
A couple of quotes from my people: "When it comes time to die, be not like thosewhose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home".[Quoted by Chief Aupumut 1725 Mohican]

"The ideal of full dress for preparation for a battle comes not from a belief that it will add to the fighting ability. The preparations for death, in case that should be the result of conflict. Every Native American wants to look his best when he goes to meet his Creator, so the dressing up is done whether in imminent danger is an oncoming battle or a sickness or injury at times of peace."
[Wooden Leg, late 19th century]

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and to serve the Creator/Great Spirit. If there is but one religion why do you Christian people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the same Book.

 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
 
7,765 posts, read 9,370,275 times
Reputation: 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
If there is but one religion why do you Christian people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the same Book.
There are certainly multiple religions. But religions are man-made, so there will continue to be more and more of those.

Christians have a personal relationship with the God of Creation and while certain details regarding 'fringe' issues do arise, MOST (although not most here on City-Data) Christians don't disagree on the cores of our faith. (ie The Deity of Christ; Christ as the Way, The Truth, The Life; the need for repentance from sin; faith (vs works) as the means for salvation in our Lord; etc)

Here on City-Data, every little disagreement appears to be a huge issue and indeed, some are, but what you see here is a blending of people from every possible belief system and it's not indicative in what you find and see in MOST Christians.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,587 posts, read 3,537,290 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This violent, divisive, militaristic attitude from certain sects of Christianity disturbs me. I see no shred of Christ here.

If you wish to claim that you follow the Prince of Peace, then stop waging war against "enemies". The only enemy lies within your own heart.
If Christianity disturbs you then why are you in the Christian forum? Then I'm sure if you are disturb by Christianity, then you will also be disturbed with a Christian who tries to have a civil conversation with you because of who we serve. Moderator cut: inappropriate

I follow the Prince of Peace and will continue to war with the enemy and nothing will change that. Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 05-04-2009 at 09:05 AM..
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,028 posts, read 6,413,922 times
Reputation: 6479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
There are certainly multiple religions. But religions are man-made, so there will continue to be more and more of those.

Christians have a personal relationship with the God of Creation and while certain details regarding 'fringe' issues do arise, MOST (although not most here on City-Data) Christians don't disagree on the cores of our faith. (ie The Deity of Christ; Christ as the Way, The Truth, The Life; the need for repentance from sin; faith (vs works) as the means for salvation in our Lord; etc)

Here on City-Data, every little disagreement appears to be a huge issue and indeed, some are, but what you see here is a blending of people from every possible belief system and it's not indicative in what you find and see in MOST Christians.
[LEFT]Alpha,I guess what I'm seeing here are the extremes and it is unfortunate, when someone issues a call to arms over a religious belief it has a tendency to make the other religions unite against that one particular belief, mainly because they feel threatened, I have seen this happen too many times and even among the Christian beliefs. Nobody wants to feel threatened because of their belief especially in this country where we have the freedom to believe or not believe as we so desire, it is guaranteed to us by our constitutional laws and when others feel that those laws are threatened, they have a tendency to act in a violent way in order to preserve their beliefs. So understand, that when I see something like this call to arms over a religious belief I have the feeling that my right to believe the way I do is being threatened, as many others will also, I mean no disrespect here but this is the way it's being perceived. [/LEFT]
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
 
7,765 posts, read 9,370,275 times
Reputation: 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[LEFT]Alpha,I guess what I'm seeing here are the extremes and it is unfortunate, when someone issues a call to arms over a religious belief it has a tendency to make the other religions unite against that one particular belief, mainly because they feel threatened, I have seen this happen too many times and even among the Christian beliefs. Nobody wants to feel threatened because of their belief especially in this country where we have the freedom to believe or not believe as we so desire, it is guaranteed to us by our constitutional laws and when others feel that those laws are threatened, they have a tendency to act in a violent way in order to preserve their beliefs. So understand, that when I see something like this call to arms over a religious belief I have the feeling that my right to believe the way I do is being threatened, as many others will also, I mean no disrespect here but this is the way it's being perceived. [/LEFT]
Well, the OP is actual a spiritual call to arms, not a literal one.

That's why many have spoken of putting on the armor of God(a biblical teaching).

It's not promoting violence or even a literal battle but a spiritual one.

I can understand your perception, though.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,028 posts, read 6,413,922 times
Reputation: 6479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Let you "tell" it..........you see no shred of Christ ANYWHERE! But if I was you, HERE would be a good-as-anyplace-to start seeking. Heads up!!

Militaristic attitude.........you ain't seen nothing yet, wait until I start my next thread..........CHRISTIANS AND GUNS/WHO CAN OWN ONE?


Alpha, although I understand that what you are saying is not to be taken literal, however reading this particular post, I would consider this a serious threat and literal and this is where all sense of reasoning gets thrown out the window. This individual has made a threat.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
 
1,597 posts, read 593,278 times
Reputation: 487
As a Christian...yes, whether some of you accept that or not...I'm entirely offended at the blatant lack of love so outwardly displayed by some in this thread. Is it any wonder I repudiate fundamentalism? It scares the crap out of me. It's not love, though you want to keep deluding yourselves into thinking that's what it is. I see nothing but radicalism akin to radical Islam in which you want to force your beliefs onto others and burn at the stake those who disagree with you.

I absolutely REFUSE to have anything to do with such "Christianity".

This will be my final post in the "Christianity" sub-forum, because I find nothing Christian about it.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM
 
7,765 posts, read 9,370,275 times
Reputation: 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[/b]

Alpha, although I understand that what you are saying is not to be taken literal, however reading this particular post, I would consider this a serious threat and literal and this is where all sense of reasoning gets thrown out the window. This individual has made a threat.
You know what, you're right.

Somehow, someway, I missed the entire second page of this thread (that, for me, is posts 21-39).....for that I apologize.

It does now look to the posters here that I believe Jesus would be on some kind of militaristic campaign and that to represent Him to the world I need camo and firearms so I can 'say what needs to be said'.....

I don't believe that at all.

In fact, I was reading this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Please, I never said it did'nt serve a purpose, what am saying and have said, it's not the same day! There is more than one chapter to the BOOK! And we are in the back of the BOOK right now! And that it's time to be about our Father's business like never before!
And the thought that came to mind was:

If you really believe we're in the back of the book, then that's all the more reason to focus on the front (of the New Testament), the closer we get to 'the end' the more of the gospel message we need to share.

Jesus never pistol-whipped folks into His Kingdom.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 6,062,492 times
Reputation: 58115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[/b]

Alpha, although I understand that what you are saying is not to be taken literal, however reading this particular post, I would consider this a serious threat and literal and this is where all sense of reasoning gets thrown out the window. This individual has made a threat.
Please....you have to understand the context in which Betsey is speaking. This thread is about spiritual warfare and that we are facing the end of days. The battle for Christians will spill over into having to protect ourselves....literally. NO one is threatening anyone....Betsey is speaking of taking up arms in defense of ourselves (ya know, it's in the constitution) and what we believe, not shooting people who don't agree with us. Come on, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

The increase of persecution and killing of Christians is inevitable because it is prophecied in the Bible. Do we stand by and wait to die, or do we have the right to defend ourselves??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top