Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

With all the debate on the existence of an eternal hell has prompted me to ask you guys especially universalists. If you found out tomorrow that for God's glory that an eternal hell does exist. Would you be ok with that? I don't care what you believe. I asked what if you found out an eternal hell exist. Would you be ok with that. I know personally if I found out that rapists, murderers etc.... who died in their sins unrepentant would go to heaven then I would be ok with that because I trust God is good and He is always right.

Would you be ok with an eternal hell if you found out it existed for His glory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Absolutely. Exactly as you state, He rules this domain just as He sees fit. My mom used to say, if He chose to send me to hell, He would be just in doing so.

Personally though, I believe you and I have tasted it already (another thread, sorry).

Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
With all the debate on the existence of an eternal hell has prompted me to ask you guys especially universalists. If you found out tomorrow that for God's glory that an eternal hell does exist. Would you be ok with that?

Yes.

Quote:
I don't care what you believe. I asked what if you found out an eternal hell exist. Would you be ok with that. I know personally if I found out that rapists, murderers etc.... who died in their sins unrepentant would go to heaven then I would be ok with that because I trust God is good and He is always right.
I would be fine with that as well.

Quote:
Would you be ok with an eternal hell if you found out it existed for His glory?

Yes, absolutely, resounding YES. God knows best, who am I to question that?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
If you found out tomorrow that for God's glory that an eternal hell does exist. Would you be ok with that?
Nope... then again the question is loaded..

What if I said "If you found out tomorrow that for God's glory you'd have to kill your entire family in heaven. Would you be ok with that?"

I'd hope you would say no.. (I could be wrong though)

Anyway.. the idea of "eternal hell" is childish at best..

For instance:

Punishment.. is an action taken to stop an action and thus something is put in place to correct the action. An eternal punishment accomplishes nothing.

Example: My daughter does something naughty. I put her in time out and when that is up I calmly speak to her and explain why she was in time out. She's quite young and sometimes it takes her a time or two to get it but after awhile.. she understands. However, I have to let her out of punishment to see if my punishment worked. Keeping her in timeout does nothing except make me a jackoff..

thus.. eternal punishment (i.e. hell) is stupid

Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Somebody asked me this a long time ago and as I shared with them I would have to accept anything that God does because He is the Creator and I am the creature. It doesn't matter whether or not something would be okay with me. It is not up to me to say if it is okay.

But would I know Him as Father then? No. I would not know Him as Father and I would not know Him as love, or as a God of truth. Here are some reasons why.

God is the source of all things as revealed in the Holy Scriptures. He sees all and He knows all. He brought all into existence knowing what would happen in the creation. God then will have created the majority whom He knew would be lost beforehand, to burn in an everlasting hell. How can this be just, good, or agape love? God is agape love and teaches us to love our enemies, to do good to those who hate us, to overcome evil with good. Jesus teaches us to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. There is a contradiction. Is God a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

The scriptures speak of Jesus filling of things, of all being reunited in Jesus, of the creation being delivered and changed into the glorious freedom of the children of God, of all being subjected so that God may be all in all. Are the scriptures lying then, if there is everlasting hell? The scriptures teach me that Jesus came to destroy the works of satan. He said that the ruler of this world has been cast out, that if He was lifted up from the earth, He would draw all to Himself. Was Jesus lying then?

It has been revealed that God is love. And this is love:

1 Corinthians 13:
1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
2 And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil;
6 rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth;
7 beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Love never faileth... (AS)

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-04-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,468 times
He has shown His love to us many many times by letting us know He is with us and giving us a peace in Him. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
thus.. eternal punishment (i.e. hell) is stupid
In the first place there is no dimension of our Father's world that is not centered in Him. If there was a place that was outside of Him, He would not be omnipresent, which He is most assuredly. But punishment in Scripture (kolasis) means primarily correction, and is rooted firmly in kolazo which encompasses growth by the means of trimming and pruning.

I will say it again, our God punishes with one objective, and one objective ONLY, rectitude, and the peaceable fruits of righteousness, not mindless vengeance.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The scriptures speak of Jesus filling of things, of all being reunited in Jesus, of the creation being delivered and changed into the glorious freedom of the children of God, of all being subjected so that God may be all in all. Are the scriptures lying then, if there is everlasting hell? The scriptures teach me that Jesus came to destroy the works of satan. He said that the ruler of this world has been cast out, that if He was lifted up from the earth, He would draw all to Himself. Was Jesus lying then?
Our God does not push sin into some corner of His world. He destroys it. The dogma of an "everlasting" cesspool of wicked and degraded beings is not to be. Death and hell (eternal or otherwise) are consummated in the Lake of Theos/ Pur!

The mystery of His will is that according to His good pleasure, which He has purposed in Himself, the all/ the ta pavnte is to be consummated in Christ Jesus the Lord. And the heritage we have in Him, as the marked out ones of His heritage, is firmly rooted in the One who "works all things after the counsel of His own will."

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
. If you found out tomorrow that for God's glory that an eternal hell does exist. Would you be ok with that?
Anything that glorifies the Living One brings complete satisfaction to me. However, there is no such thing as an "eternal hell", an "everlasting hell", "everlasting death", or "eternal death" in the Scriptures! None of them exist!

Quote:
The notion that the salvation of Jesus is a salvation from the consequences of our sins, is a false, mean, low notion. The salvation of Christ is salvation from the smallest tendency or leaning to sin. It is a deliverance into the pure air of God’s ways of thinking and feeling. It is a salvation that makes the heart pure, with the will and choice of the heart to be pure. To such a heart, sin is disgusting. It sees a thing as it is,—that is, as God sees it, for God sees everything as it is. The soul thus saved would rather sink into the flames of hell than steal into heaven and skulk there under the shadow of an imputed righteousness. No soul is saved that would not prefer hell to sin. Jesus did not die to save us from punishment; he was called Jesus because he should save his people from their sins. -George MacDonald-

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
However, there is no such thing as an "eternal hell", an "everlasting hell", "everlasting death", or "eternal death" in the Scriptures! None of them exist!
Not according to what the Bible teaches

Oh and to answer the OP, I trust God 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity