U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,737,778 times

Advertisements

The bible says, if we want to be like God then we should love our enemies. God has compassion, mercy, forgiveness so should I even to my enemies but that is another quality of love for my enemies. I love you guys in this room yet I have a different kind of love for my parents and an even more intense love for my wife. All through the bible God displays His love for His chosen people, the Jews. I am not trying to diminish His love for us or even the lost because there is obviously a genuine love there but from reading scripture it is an agape love-a sacrificial love, a love where He can get His best usefulness out of us for His purposes and His glory so one must ask. Does God love us ALL with the same quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM

6,946 posts, read 7,285,231 times
It's a tricky subject for me as well; I think He loves us equally, yet see us differently in light of His purposes for our lives. He made us unique, so He knows what we have to offer, what He needs to do to refine us, and so forth.

It may look like He favors certain ones, but that's only because He has different plans to maximize their gifts, and then there's the given = requirement. It's our place to seek His face (not His hand, btw) and let Him draw from us what He put in there in the first place.

I guess it boils down to sovereignty.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,215,588 times
I dont like this question but the truth is obvious. God said He hated Esau but loved Jacob. Now we know God loves everyone but is appears that He may not love those who hate him in the same way He does those who love Him. Look at what Jesus said to the apostles "To be the greatest in the Kingdom you must be the servant of all". He also said "If you love Me keep My commandments", this would show what level we love God at. Now we also have to consider He says to love your enemies, but many forget the rest of the verse which says "So you may heap hot coals upon their head." We can go even further and apply the next sentence to not only believers but unbelievers "If you deny Me to man I will deny you to the Father". This is a difficult sentence in that it can determine if we are truly believers or make believers. Do we deny any portion of His word for our own greed or lust?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 PM

10,554 posts, read 5,079,962 times
God showed His immense love for every last human being by sacrificing His only begotten Son Who ransomed ALL mankind.

God is also fond of humanity:
"Yet when the kindness and fondness for humanity of our Saviour, God, made its advent," (Titus 3:4).

Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM

954 posts, read 472,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I dont like this question but the truth is obvious. God said He hated Esau but loved Jacob. Now we know God loves everyone but is appears that He may not love those who hate him in the same way He does those who love Him. Look at what Jesus said to the apostles "To be the greatest in the Kingdom you must be the servant of all". He also said "If you love Me keep My commandments", this would show what level we love God at. Now we also have to consider He says to love your enemies, but many forget the rest of the verse which says "So you may heap hot coals upon their head." We can go even further and apply the next sentence to not only believers but unbelievers "If you deny Me to man I will deny you to the Father". This is a difficult sentence in that it can determine if we are truly believers or make believers. Do we deny any portion of His word for our own greed or lust?
In our culture, to heap hot coals on someone's head would be causing him great pain. But I understand that in Biblical times, in a village, households would take turns sending out their young sons from thier house with coals which were garnered from the fire which that household started in the morning, thus making it easier for the remaining households in the village to start THEIR fire. The son would put glowing coals into a pitched basket of some sort which would protect his head from absorbing the heat from the coals and in that manner carry them from house to house. So this was a GOOD thing. It was community effort and working together toward a good end.

Also, when we are told to pray in Jesus' NAME, it isn't just namedropping. Not saying that there is not power in the Name of Yeshua (Jesus) but we are to pray in the nature of Jesus, always yielding to the will of the Father, even while letting Him know our hearts in the matter. Does He know them without our praying? Of course He does. But the communication and praying is beneficial to our lives and brings us to our knees in acknowledgement of His power in the universe.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM

11,623 posts, read 9,023,507 times
Quote:
God showed His immense love for every last human being by sacrificing His only begotten Son Who ransomed ALL mankind.

God is also fond of humanity:
"Yet when the kindness and fondness for humanity of our Saviour, God, made its advent," (Titus 3:4).
I agree. God loves all with agape love. Even we believers were once His own enemies. Jesus laid down His life for His own enemies, and I believe that agape love is sacrificial love because here love is being given which may not be reciprocated. It is love given inspite of , even when not received. I love my family with a special familial love and I have a different relationship with friends, yet giving love to someone inspite of, to me, is different and greater love. And this is the love the God has for all of us, even those who are in the body of Christ and and those who are not in the body of Christ. Remember what Jesus says?

Luke 6:
32 And if ye love them that love you, what thank have ye? for even sinners love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them that do good to you, what thank have ye? for even sinners do the same. 34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? even sinners lend to sinners, to receive again as much. 35 But love your enemies, and do them good, and lend, never despairing; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be sons of the Most High: for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-08-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM

20,031 posts, read 20,888,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Does God love us ALL with the same quality?
Yes I believe He does.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,613,207 times
Aren't ya'll glad that he doesn't love his enemies of today like he did in the OT?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 PM

20,031 posts, read 20,888,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Aren't ya'll glad that he doesn't love his enemies of today like he did in the OT?
God does not change.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM

10,554 posts, read 5,079,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Actually God loved them just as much as today. He gave His only begotten Son for them too. His Son died for all their sins. All their sins have been died for.

Of course they can't possibly believe that in this life since they died before He died for them. But God is not going to let that stand in the way of their salvation. He is not going to lose those billions and billions of humans. Instead He is going to make them all righteous and justify their lives (Romans 5:18,19).

A shameless plug for my web site:
Saviour of all Fellowship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity