Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So can we blaspheme if we have love and goodwill in our heart, but do not accept Jesus?
Absolutely it can be done and is done constantly.

PS, I WISH PEOPLE WOULD REFRAIN FROM THE PHRASE, "ACCEPTING JESUS". It's meaningless and it says nothing about a persons spiritual state or condition. We don't accept him he accepts us. When Jesus is made Lord of someone's life it would be correct to say they "Love Jesus" or they "Are trusting in Jesus". Those phrases actually mean something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
According to the bible: In God's eyes, sin is sin - there is no difference to HIM.
BUT:, .. .. there is ONE SIN. in the bible that is called the GREAT TRANSGRESSION !! (it does more damage, than all the rest combined)
what is that sin ???
We do know David was guilty of great transgression [ sins ] or much transgression [ sins ] Psalm 19 v 13
Presumptuous acts would or could just be part of such great or much transgression.
[Does the word ' the ' appear in the ancient manuscripts for verse 13 ? ]

Wasn't David forgiven? _____According to Scripture David was forgiven and awaiting a resurrection.- Acts 2 v 34
However, those of Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 are ' guilty of more damage than all the rest combined ' because, unlike David, they have committed the unforgivable sin of Matthew 12 v 32.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct Omaha . . . but most do not understand what that means. The Holy Spirit is God's Spirit (consciousness) and God IS Love! When we promote "un-love" we blaspheme the Holy Spirit by corrupting the Gospel of His love for us all. This retains the savage and ignorant beliefs about God of our ancestors . . . and corrupts the love we are to have for God and each other. It prevents true repentance and correction of our consciousness to attune it to Christ's love for us all . . . (which is what gives us the cover for our imperfections).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So can we blaspheme if we have love and goodwill in our heart, but do not accept Jesus?
Blasphemy against Jesus is forgivable . . . blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (God=Agape Love) is not. The absence of love is what taints the Soul.

Luke 12:10 (King James Version)

10And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

1 John 4 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world.
18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19We love him, because he first loved us.
20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Ephesians 4:14-15 (King James Version)

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Life revels much about the character of men.

We all have heard it before from secularists/atheists/new agers or any group that must have physical-provable-measurable evidence, in all things, for a conclusion to be true. Well you know it’s hard to meet all that criteria even in a lab. So the ‘conclusion†by those groups is , we believers are presumptuous in our beliefs. Perhaps it’s true to them, but we know our human intellect can only bring us to the edge of the precipice, the edge of our finite understanding. No can solve any problem or overcome sin by the same thinking that got us here. We need a ‘higher†enlightenment.

Therefore, is it not also true… that to move beyond that edge, we must take a “leap†of faith? And is it also true that by “faith†we are saved? And wouldn’t that be “an act of faith�

To the “world†presumption and faith are the same thing… but to an enlightened believer that couldn’t be further from the truth, for faith saves.

To the OP... good observation

Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,930 times
The "great transgression" is failure to keep the "great commandment."

COMPARING SCRIPTURE WITH SCRIPTURE ("spiritual things with spiritual") the Bible interprets itself.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 3,860 times
I have considered that King David knew of the sin in the garden of Eden. The greatest transgression to me was Eve taking and eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, necessitating the future death of Jesus. We as humans would likely have done exactly as Eve andAdam.This is the great transgression of human-kind in my thinking. God then pronounces the curse, you will bear children in pain and desire your husband, this as part of the curse. Did Eve have monthly cycles prior to this? They were created for relationship with God. Now they are to procreate. Thus Eves monthly cycles are a perpetual reminder to women that they necessitated the killing of the Christ, and are not to userp authority over the man. Should women stand before a lectern (altar) and preach if it is her monthly period or is this confusion?, bringing another blood before God's altar? We as a "modern" church are too sensitive to consider this, and don't have a clue why women should not preach. This is an opinion that I sincerely believe God gave me about 2005. I have said this not to anger but to say what I believe I heard.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
According to the bible: In God's eyes, sin is sin - there is no difference to HIM.

BUT:, .. .. there is ONE SIN. in the bible that is called the GREAT TRANSGRESSION !! (it does more damage, than all the rest combined)

what is that sin ???
Posting on City-Data?

Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
He who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him. (Son of man)

Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM

741 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Nah, just not the answer you're looking for.

Perhpas you could have phrased your question differently.

Matthew 12 (New International Version)

Matthew 12

"31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Perhaps the answer you were looking for is in Psalm 19:13, but that would be an argument of semantics rather than substance.
This is the correct answer.

Yet, blaspheming the Holy Spirit can come from many different actions.

Blaspheming the spirit is like poisoning pot of soup. It ruins the whole meal and must be thrown out. There is no way to remove the poison once it as been added. This goes for a person's heart too. How then does a person with a poison heart think and act?

An example of a poisoned heart is Satan the Devil. He knows who God is, so it's not about if a person believes in God. Satan is a spirit creature so he doesn't indulge in 'fleshly' sins. So what did Satan do that has made himself as poisoned and worthless?

He knowingly rebelled against God. He ruined God's plans in the garden of Eden. Satan knew the plan and decided to destroy those plans. That is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. It is to knowingly fight against the rulership of God. Satan did that. For humans though, that gets hard to determine. We can't know a person's heart. Some though, we do know of.

Nimrod is one of them. Genesis 10:9, 10 says, "He became a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah. That is why there is a saying: “Just like Nimʹrod, a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah.”

The Pharaoh of Egypt was another that opposed God's rule. "And you and the elders of Israel shall go in to the king of Egypt and say to him ‘Jehovah, the Hebrews’ God, has met us: now let us go three days’ journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to our God Jehovah.’ And I know the king of Egypt will not give you a chance to go without force; but I will put out my hand and strike Egypt with all my wonders that I will do among them, and after that he will let you go" - Exodus 3:18-20.

So it's not so much not doing bad things, which practice of such things knowing God doesn't allow them can lead to blaspheming the spirit of God. However, out right refusal to accept God as ruler and to actually seeking to fight His rulership is unforgivable. So, a person that doesn't believe in God is not 100% doomed to certain death. But a person that knows there is a God, knows His plans and laws then actively willfully sets themselves against those plans...the Bible says, 'There is no longer any sacrifice for sins left.' (Heb 10:26)

So back the original question is there a sin that is worse than another? No. We can practice any sin to our own injury and death. The difference is repentance, heart and attitude. We could be doing everything good as far as the law but in our heart hate God and just waiting for a chance to try and over throw His plans. This is type of thinking and action is unforgivable.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 04-01-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 01:33 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmantim7777 View Post
I have considered that King David knew of the sin in the garden of Eden. The greatest transgression to me was Eve taking and eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, necessitating the future death of Jesus. We as humans would likely have done exactly as Eve andAdam.This is the great transgression of human-kind in my thinking. God then pronounces the curse, you will bear children in pain and desire your husband, this as part of the curse. Did Eve have monthly cycles prior to this? They were created for relationship with God. Now they are to procreate. Thus Eves monthly cycles are a perpetual reminder to women that they necessitated the killing of the Christ, and are not to userp authority over the man. Should women stand before a lectern (altar) and preach if it is her monthly period or is this confusion?, bringing another blood before God's altar? We as a "modern" church are too sensitive to consider this, and don't have a clue why women should not preach. This is an opinion that I sincerely believe God gave me about 2005. I have said this not to anger but to say what I believe I heard.
Since Eve ate first and was deceived - 1st Timothy 2:14 - then Adam, who was Not deceived, did Not have to eat after Eve. What Adam did was deliberate - Romans 5:12

They were to procreate 'before' eating the forbidden fruit - Genesis 1:28

The reason you do Not have a clue as to why women should Not preach is because: women do preach.

Weren't women present at Pentecost ? _____Acts chapter 2

What does Acts 2:17 say ?

Women are to be teachers - Titus 2:3

Women preach to others, but women were never given the commission to take the lead in the Christian congregation.
That responsibility was for men - 1st Timothy chapter 3

ALL baptized persons are to preach - Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity