Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:56 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,622,837 times

Advertisements

hmm, i think you are agreeing with him in a raised voice there maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
This answer is more just the devils advocate. I see your teachings as very good aver all.

When I condemn your views I am saying that yours is incomplete. "love" is an emotion and emotional based responses can cause more harm than good. "feel good" solutions can loose sight of what is in front of us. They are easier and do release "angst", that's true enough.

Rather, and I am not 100% certain here, as you know, make a list of some logical solutions then let your heart guide the actions of the choice. Or if there is no good choices, let the heart guide the implementation of the one (or three) you choose.

letting the heart describe the solution ignores the physical limitations set around us. I use "hoarders" as an example of "love", or emotion, as describing the logical "most logical solution". It aint pretty to those around that event.

I grab onto life with Washington, Lincoln, Sherman, Grant and Lee. Lee's the thumb. Jesus is just way to liberal for me. I would have him on my council for sure though, you know, to slow me down and make me think. He is my "left hand". the clap of life so to speak.

I know this is an old post, but you are mistaken in this. Some people may use the word "love" to describe an emotion, but even a casual bible reader knows that the descriptions of love (agape) found in the bible do not pertain to a feeling, but rather to action and to a spirit.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:25 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I know this is an old post, but you are mistaken in this. Some people may use the word "love" to describe an emotion, but even a casual bible reader knows that the descriptions of love (agape) found in the bible do not pertain to a feeling, but rather to action and to a spirit.
Amen!!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:07 PM

481 posts, read 261,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
According to the bible: In God's eyes, sin is sin - there is no difference to HIM.

BUT:, .. .. there is ONE SIN. in the bible that is called the GREAT TRANSGRESSION !! (it does more damage, than all the rest combined)

what is that sin ???
The sin against the Holy Spirit. As in using the Holy Spirit for immoral purposes, such as being apostate.

The Bible’s answer

The unforgivable sin refers to actions accompanied by an attitude that keeps a sinner from ever receiving God’s forgiveness. How could such a disposition develop?
God forgives those who repent of their sins, follow his standards in their life, and exercise faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19, 20) However, a person can become so set in following a sinful course that he will never change his attitude or conduct. The Bible describes such a person as having “a wicked heart†that has “become hardened by the deceptive power of sin.†(Hebrews 3:12, 13) Like clay that has been fired in a kiln and that can never be reshaped, the person’s heart has become permanently opposed to God. (Isaiah 45:9) There could never be a basis for such a person to be forgiven, so he is guilty of the unforgivable, or unpardonable, sin.—Hebrews 10:26, 27.
Some Jewish religious leaders in Jesus’ day committed the unforgivable sin. They knew that God’s holy spirit was the force behind Jesus’ miracles, yet they maliciously said that he got his power from Satan the Devil.—Mark 3:22, 28-30.
Examples of sins that can be forgiven

• Blasphemy due to ignorance. The apostle Paul had once been a blasphemer, but he later said: “I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith.â€â€”1 Timothy 1:13.
  • Adultery. The Bible mentions some who at one time committed adultery but who changed their conduct and were forgiven by God.—1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
“Have I committed the unforgivable sin?â€

If you sincerely hate your past course of sin and truly want to change, then you have not committed the unforgivable sin. God can forgive even repeated relapses into the same sin as long as your heart has not permanently hardened against him.—Proverbs 24:16.
Some people feel that they may have committed an unforgivable sin because they are troubled by nagging feelings of guilt. However, the Bible teaches that we cannot always trust our feelings. (Jeremiah 17:9) God has not authorized us to judge anyone—even ourselves. (Romans 14:4, 12) He can forgive us even when our own heart still condemns us.—1 John 3:19, 20.
Did Judas Iscariot commit an unforgivable sin?

Yes, he did. His greed moved him to steal money that had been donated for a sacred use. He even pretended to be concerned about the poor when his real interest was to acquire more money to steal. (John 12:4-8) Once Judas’ heart had become permanently set in doing wrong, he betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Jesus knew that Judas could never truly repent for what he had done, and he called him “the son of destruction.†(John 17:12) This meant that when Judas died, he would suffer permanent destruction, with no hope for a resurrection.—Mark 14:21.
Judas did not show true repentance for his sin. He confessed, not to God, but to the religious leaders he had conspired with.—Matthew 27:3-5; 2 Corinthians 7:10.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:39 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
The sin against the Holy Spirit. As in using the Holy Spirit for immoral purposes, such as being apostate.

The Bible’s answer

The unforgivable sin refers to actions accompanied by an attitude that keeps a sinner from ever receiving God’s forgiveness. How could such a disposition develop?
God forgives those who repent of their sins, follow his standards in their life, and exercise faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19, 20) However, a person can become so set in following a sinful course that he will never change his attitude or conduct. The Bible describes such a person as having “a wicked heart†that has “become hardened by the deceptive power of sin.†(Hebrews 3:12, 13) Like clay that has been fired in a kiln and that can never be reshaped, the person’s heart has become permanently opposed to God. (Isaiah 45:9) There could never be a basis for such a person to be forgiven, so he is guilty of the unforgivable, or unpardonable, sin.—Hebrews 10:26, 27.
Some Jewish religious leaders in Jesus’ day committed the unforgivable sin. They knew that God’s holy spirit was the force behind Jesus’ miracles, yet they maliciously said that he got his power from Satan the Devil.—Mark 3:22, 28-30.
Examples of sins that can be forgiven

• Blasphemy due to ignorance. The apostle Paul had once been a blasphemer, but he later said: “I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith.â€â€”1 Timothy 1:13.
  • Adultery. The Bible mentions some who at one time committed adultery but who changed their conduct and were forgiven by God.—1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
“Have I committed the unforgivable sin?â€

If you sincerely hate your past course of sin and truly want to change, then you have not committed the unforgivable sin. God can forgive even repeated relapses into the same sin as long as your heart has not permanently hardened against him.—Proverbs 24:16.
Some people feel that they may have committed an unforgivable sin because they are troubled by nagging feelings of guilt. However, the Bible teaches that we cannot always trust our feelings. (Jeremiah 17:9) God has not authorized us to judge anyone—even ourselves. (Romans 14:4, 12) He can forgive us even when our own heart still condemns us.—1 John 3:19, 20.
Did Judas Iscariot commit an unforgivable sin?

Yes, he did. His greed moved him to steal money that had been donated for a sacred use. He even pretended to be concerned about the poor when his real interest was to acquire more money to steal. (John 12:4-8) Once Judas’ heart had become permanently set in doing wrong, he betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Jesus knew that Judas could never truly repent for what he had done, and he called him “the son of destruction.†(John 17:12) This meant that when Judas died, he would suffer permanent destruction, with no hope for a resurrection.—Mark 14:21.
Judas did not show true repentance for his sin. He confessed, not to God, but to the religious leaders he had conspired with.—Matthew 27:3-5; 2 Corinthians 7:10.

Wrong.

Again/still.

The great transgression is believing all truth worth knowing is in a mouldy old collection of ancient etchings from primitive minds whom Constantinople's mother insisted were channeling god.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Not believing Jesus.

John 6:29

Jesus said, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 PM

481 posts, read 261,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Wrong.

Again/still.

The great transgression is believing all truth worth knowing is in a mouldy old collection of ancient etchings from primitive minds whom Constantinople's mother insisted were channeling god.
And you are an expert using a primitive mind. Get a brain transplant.LOL

Old 11-18-2016, 03:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,689,741 times
Quote:
Indeed!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:48 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Not so sure about that Pleroo, if the agape love where with we are loved by God does not touch us in such a way that it is not felt first, to move us to harness it to share it with others, then to me, it would mean agape love is cold.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,483,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not so sure about that Pleroo, if the agape love where with we are loved by God does not touch us in such a way that it is not felt first, to move us to harness it to share it with others, then to me, it would mean agape love is cold.
agreed.

"love" is the movement of particles. Shape changes, functional groups, and ions.

This "agrape love" is a misconception. We exist is a sea of virtual and real "Particles", ergo we live in a sea of moving particles. ergo, we live in a sea of information as information. Like little clumps of liquid water that form up in an ocean every so often.

The misconception that is that very large volume, as compared to us, is this infinite being with infinite, or more pure, emotion. Its just more complex so maybe understands more, thus it can make better predictions.

Sorry, it was a lot in a few lines, but if you dig deep it will make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity