U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 AM

4,274 posts, read 1,660,165 times

Advertisements

Do you know what manner of spirit ye are of?

Luke 9:51-56
51 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, 52 And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. 53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. 54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy menís lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Re-read those scriptures.

In them you will see those who rejected Christ.

You will see the future church say burn them up in the fire.

You will see Jesus rebuking the future church saying they know not what manner of spirit they are of, for the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

So again I ask, do you know what manner of spirit ye are of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,707,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I'm of the manner that doesn't see the words 'future' or 'church' in that entire passage.

I'm of the manner that sees someone taking a passage of scripture and using it to forward an agenda.

I'm of the manner that uses discernment and guidance from the Lord to help me know when an unqualified teacher is among us.

That's the manner of Spirit(not spirit) I am of.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

1,686 posts, read 1,761,940 times
Disciples are a remarkable lot indeed!

Quote:
And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
P.S. Alpha you were wise to obliterate your post.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
P.S. Alpha you were wise to obliterate your post.
Thanks.

On your lack of self-control to withhold that comment, I've restored my post.

And I stand by it.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,803,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm of the manner that doesn't see the words 'future' or 'church' in that entire passage.

I'm of the manner that sees someone taking a passage of scripture and using it to forward an agenda.

I'm of the manner that uses discernment and guidance from the Lord to help me know when an unqualified teacher is among us.

That's the manner of Spirit(not spirit) I am of.
The future church thing threw me off too.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,803,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Do you know what manner of spirit ye are of?

Luke 9:51-56
51 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, 52 And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. 53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. 54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Re-read those scriptures.

In them you will see those who rejected Christ.

You will see the future church say burn them up in the fire.

You will see Jesus rebuking the future church saying they know not what manner of spirit they are of, for the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

1 John 4:1-6

1 John 4

Testing the Spirits

1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;

3and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

5They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them.

6We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
And the agenda is?

Quote:
So you use discernment and guidance from the Lord to help you know. Of course Scott/Pneuma and the rest of us do not?

Can you disclose to us what qualifies an unqualified teacher among us? They teach what?

"I have looked upon the face of Love Himself, and as a result all my earlier conceptions of the nature and character of God and His purposes for Mankind have been swallowed up. It feels almost as though I have seen a new God altogether, but I know of course, that the real fact is I have seen the True God in a new way—in the face of the Risen Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As a result, "old things have passed away and all things have become new.' -Hannah Hurnard-

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
And the agenda is?

So you use discernment and guidance from the Lord to help you know. Of course Scott/Pneuma and the rest of us do not?

Can you disclose to us what qualifies an unqualified teacher among us? They teach what?
The OP asked what manner of spirit we are of...and I answered the questions.

Why don't we let pneuma tell us if there's more to his questions than he's asked so far.

I told him what manner of Spirit I am of....and I stand by it.

Again, thanks for baiting me, this might turn out to be fun yet.

Agenda?--shall we wait for pneuma to tell us what it is about the 'future church' that seems to cause Christ to dislike us? (I'm betting it's pneuma's take on Hell---you know the one Christ taught so much about!)

Discernment and Guidance? I don't know where your discernment and guidance comes from but I pray it is from the Lord as well.

An unqualified teacher? Pretty much someone who takes a snippet of scripture like the one in the OP and inserts all this 'future church' ideas in it. The passage MIGHT be about the 'future church' but since the words 'future' and 'church' aren't actually in there, I have my doubts.

That said I will say that you HAVE to insert all sorts of personal opinions and beliefs into scripture to come to the conclusions I have read from pneuma....so I'm not surprised to see this tendency to 'make' it say what we want it to.

It's also apparent that Universalists here at CD have recruited many more of their kind from other forums, and, as a moderator, for the added members, we say thanks! As a fellow poster, I'd have to say I can't blame you....you guys really do need all the help you can get.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM

9,590 posts, read 5,312,151 times
Quote:
The OP asked what manner of spirit we are of...and I answered the questions.

Why don't we let pneuma tell us if there's more to his questions than he's asked so far.

I told him what manner of Spirit I am of....and I stand by it.

Again, thanks for baiting me, this might turn out to be fun yet.

Agenda?--shall we wait for pneuma to tell us what it is about the 'future church' that seems to cause Christ to dislike us? (I'm betting it's pneuma's take on Hell---you know the one Christ taught so much about!)

Discernment and Guidance? I don't know where your discernment and guidance comes from but I pray it is from the Lord as well.

An unqualified teacher? Pretty much someone who takes a snippet of scripture like the one in the OP and inserts all this 'future church' ideas in it. The passage MIGHT be about the 'future church' but since the words 'future' and 'church' aren't actually in there, I have my doubts.

That said I will say that you HAVE to insert all sorts of personal opinions and beliefs into scripture to come to the conclusions I have read from pneuma....so I'm not surprised to see this tendency to 'make' it say what we want it to.

It's also apparent that Universalists here at CD have recruited many more of their kind from other forums, and, as a moderator, for the added members, we say thanks! As a fellow poster, I'd have to say I can't blame you....you guys really do need all the help you can get.
Whooa....Brother Alpha, couldn't have said it so nicely and yet so kind!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
They have? Those rascals believe in the Restitution of all things! Shame on them. Fortunately they have the resources of fellow posters on C.D. to keep them straight.

One quick question Alpha. What was Jesus Christ disclosing to His disciples in the O.P.?

Quote:
And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity