Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You mean like church discipline? The reason why there are so many problems in the church today like the ones you pointed out is because there is a lack of leadership, a church not following sound biblical doctrine of the structure of a church. Pastors who are afraid to offend members. People who accuse the church want to get rid of some things in the church, the things that offend them but they forget the door swings both ways and that there are things that they do that the church will frown upon them also.
lol No, that isn't what I mean at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
lol No, that isn't what I mean at all.
oh ok....I stand corrected. I am just saying there is a need for good biblical leadership in a church, remember the bible refers to us as sheep, we are as dumb as they come and the shepherd is to lead us. I know it is sad that some people gossip in the church but sometimes some women AND men grew up that way and believe that is the way it is- they don't know better. Too many pastors are shirking their responsibilities. Many churches need a good rebuke from time to time. I know I do.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
You mean like church discipline? The reason why there are so many problems in the church today like the ones you pointed out is because there is a lack of leadership, a church not following sound biblical doctrine of the structure of a church. Pastors who are afraid to offend members. People who accuse the church want to get rid of some things in the church, the things that offend them but they forget the door swings both ways and that there are things that they do that the God will frown upon them also.
For someone who says they've only been a Christian for one year, you sure do seem to think you know it all!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
As most of you around here know, I am a former Pentecostal. ....
no offence, but I'm proud to say I'm not on here enough to be that familiar with people's screen names or remember one from another. Makes me feel like I still have a foot in real life

Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
It's funny you claim to have sat in church for 14 years and this is all you got out of it? I don't doubt your claim about sitting in church that long but I'm rather certain your heart wasn't in it from the start. How much did you pray and fully submit to God that "Hey, I know I dropped the ball Lord. I know I'm not a righteous person. I try and do good and for the most part I do, but I'm just not getting it. I listen dilligently but I feel no love so I've studied Your Word but I am still not getting it. Lord, I know You say knock and the door will be opened. Lord, I am knocking. I submit to you. I know I'm not righteous so please show me the way." Was this your approach? Was all your heart in it? Or were you more of "I'll go to church and see what they say. Hmmm, this pastor/priest says I'm imperfect. How the hell would he know. He doesn't even know me. Whatever. Oh good communion. Everyone else is drinking, I want to fit in so I guess I'll drink some too. Wow, look at her over there. She looks like the type who's thinking I wish this was real wine. Hahaha, I bet she was hammered 8 hours ago before coming to church. Hypocrite. Lol. Ok, what's the pastor saying now? Jesus is great and sacrificed for us...yada yada yada. Damn tell us something new. Crap it's 11:02. This thing has only been going on for 17 minutes. Better smile and stop looking at my watch. Sigh, time to stand and sing again. Is this song from like the 1800s or something? I could really go for some Nine Inch Nails right now."

The thing that's odd is 14 years supposedly trying to connect with God yet you don't even understand the basic concept of our corrupted nature.

I pray you can let up on your bitterness and connect with God. Crack the good book and pray for understanding. When you read those verses that cause you doubt, try and be open and think outside the box. "This verse makes no sense. It conflicts with that other one I read. How can it make sense?"
You know I was thinking the same. For someone who sat in church for 14 she didn't get much out of service. I know people who were in church for a really long time and never learned anything. This sounds like one of those cases.

Then to top it off, she says that the bible pushed her over the edge, but it already sounds like she was already heading down the edge before she even picked up the bible, but would rather blame her faults on God and the bible. It really ticks me off when people try to blame their faults on God like it is His fault for them not doing that they are suppose to do. It that is not enough then Danimae1 says that God didn't heal her husband and I think her child had problems also. But we all have problems, but that does mean that God is at fault.

I prayed for years over my allergies and didn't get healed until I made up in my mind that I was going to trust God know matter what happened, and then I was healed. It is our lack of faith, not God.

As I read over most of her post, she nick picks a certain scriptures that she does not understand, which sounds like to me if you were in church for 14 years you would atleast understand some form of scripture.

Danimae1 said that she had studied the bible and researched it, but the more that she talks the more that it shows that she is not a researcher of the bible. If you are a researcher of the bible you will understand simple scripture, which it shows that she does not.

It sounds like this is just someone who really has a problem with God and feels that she can blame her problems on Him. It is sad that she had such a hard time in life and it is not God's fault that her faith is not stonger. We are responsible to trust God.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
oh ok....I stand corrected. I am just saying there is a need for good biblical leadership in a church, remember the bible refers to us as sheep, we are as dumb as they come and the shepherd is to lead us. I know it is sad that some people gossip in the church but sometimes some women AND men grew up that way and believe that is the way it is- they don't know better. Too many pastors are shirking their responsibilities. Many churches need a good rebuke from time to time. I know I do.
I believe pastors are also sheep. There is one Shepherd.

"I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice." Ezekiel 34:15-16

Ezekiel 34 has brought me a lot of comfort.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
As most of you around here know, I am a former Pentecostal. Not the most popular religious sect here. But I digress....We would have those services where the preacher would be up there saying "thank god that he's brought you from the muck and mire you were in..." (shouting it mostly) And I would sit there with my phony smile pretending agree with him. But in my head I'd be thinking....what muck?! What mire?! I wasn't a big time sinner! Never committed adultery, killed anyone, wasn't a habitual liar, didn't have a golden calf in my living room, heck I never smoked, drank, didn't even swear too much....not that those are provable sins....but I was and am a stand up citizen, wife, mother (that part is questionable though as kids can make one insane) So what was I supposed to be jumping up and down and shouting for? What was I delivered from?! T.V.? (forbidden there) Secular music? (also forbidden) Cutting my hair? (forbidden) Wearing Pants? (forbidden) Going swimming? (forbidden) Movie theaters? (forbidden) Why do we deserve (supposedly) to burn in hell even though we are decent law abiding people??? Just cause I say I believe in Jesus on top of it makes me saved from the hell for bad people? I don't get it. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Anyhow. Done ranting.
If you had such a problem with the church, why didn't you find a church where God's Spirit was really working? Not all churches are like that. Not all church are lead by a spirit filled Pastor. There are some pastors that are not being lead by God, and it sounds like you was in the wrong church.

But don't blame their mistake and then try to put in on all churches because all churches are not like that.

Quote:
I wasn't a big time sinner! Never committed adultery, killed anyone, wasn't a habitual liar, didn't have a golden calf in my living room, heck I never smoked, drank, didn't even swear too much....not that those are provable sins....
We are all sinners in the sight of God. If you ever told a lie, if you ever looked at a man in lust, if you ever sweared at all you are a sinner just like all of us. You are know better than someone else who lies all the time, because we all sin and fall short of God's standard.

Either you want a relationship with God or not. That is your choice or either you can just keep blaming the church, God, and the bible for you going over the edge.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Well, there is NOTHING that bothers me about the church I go to. Its a Methodist Church, the Minister is brilliant. The people that go are like family. There is good teaching, good balance, good worship. So cannot fault it.
Obviously, I don't know your pastor, but I get uncomfortable with the description of "brilliant", that some folks place on their preachers/pastors/ministers, and here's why. They may well be intelligent, and well-educated, but it doesn't take long for such brilliance and education to ruin many a pastor. They soon take on the persona, the mantle if you will, that they are, indeed, extremely clever, and whatever humbleness they may have had, entering the pulpit, is cast by the wayside.

The last church I was ever a member of, (and I was very active in it), had just such a pastor, (he earned a doctorate the first few years he was our preacher). He became quite insufferable in his manner, yet to this day, many people think he is so wonderful, so brilliant, such a man of God, etc. It finally came to a head, for me and my husband, (and a number of other people, as well, including those in the "upper echelon", if you will), when his holier-than-everyone attitude went into the pulpit with him, in such a blatant way, that we could no longer ignore it. We were fed up with this "brilliant" preacher, and we left.

Granted, part of that was his own natural tendencies toward pride, but he isn't the only pastor I've seen with that heavy dose of arrogance, and I believe that much of that is fed by the congregation, who cannot see beyond the education, the nice Sunday-go-to-meeting suit, and the big Bible. They treat their pastors as though they were "second-in-command", so to speak, (I don't think it's by accident that the chairs behind the pulpit frequently look like thrones). Good quality leadership is a fine thing, to a point, (I suppose someone has to be at the wheel), but it's not an excuse to allow the pastors to get out-of-hand. I am, of course, not speaking of you, personally. I am merely making an observation.

The best preacher I ever knew had only a couple of years of Bible college, no fancy seminary. He was just a country boy, who loved God, and wanted to help folks. He became a Christian in his late thirties, or early forties, so he had some experience under his belt, as to the faults and sins that beset everyone of us, and didn't place himself in the position as judge and jury merely because he was the pastor. He was the most humble man/preacher I ever knew, and if I ever went back to church again, (though, there are other reasons why I don't attend), this is the kind of pastor I would be looking for. Brilliance doesn't impress me.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I believe pastors are also sheep. There is one Shepherd.

"I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice." Ezekiel 34:15-16

Ezekiel 34 has brought me a lot of comfort.
In the overall picture. YES! I definitely agree with you but in the churches, the pastor has been entrusted with his shepherd's sheep. So what does that make the Pastor?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
In the overall picture. YES! I definitely agree with you but in the churches, the pastor has been entrusted with his shepherd's sheep. So what does that make the Pastor?
A pastor is just another believer. That is all. His gift is no better or worse than another's gift...even one such as mercy that most views as a waste and not really a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity