Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,411,941 times

Advertisements

The Emancipation Proclamation turned out okay, the Civil Rights turned out okay, Equal Opportunity turned out okay, abolishing the draft turned out okay,womens vote turned out okay, etc, etc so I have no doubt that the marriage act will turn out okay....It is all about equality in this democracy we live in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,389,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
The Bible is chock full of examples of "righteous men" who devalued the "traditional marriage" supposedly instituted by the biblical god with their multiple wives and concubines.

I don't know how much you read the bible, but again this is the classic example people give to justify gay marriage, because what you are really saying is that the bible must be contradicting itself since even so called righteous men that you highlighed have devalued marriage. The part of the bible you are talking about, primarily happened in the old testament when God allowed men to have multiple wives and concubines, the bible has made it quite clear that ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT( MARRIED OR NOT). Here is a list of Scriptures for you to read and interpret on you own about God commanding CHRISTIANS to have one wife or one husband. Then tell me if you feel that it's justified for Christians to accept gay marriage and having more than one husband and wife.

1 Timothy 3:12
Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well.

1 Timothy 3:17
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Titus 1:6
If anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination.

1 Corinthians 7:2
But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

When I read this Scripture as a Christian, I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. To me it says to me that if I don't want to get into any sexual sin, fornication, adultery, and gay sex, then follow what this verse says. It's as plain as day, and yet so many people, including Christians, tend to overlook this verse.

Ephesians 5:31
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

Ephesians 5:33
However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Luke 16:18
“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Old Testament

Deuteronomy 17:17
And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

Some people WON"T read this Scpritures and accept them as God's word, especially if they are violating any one of these. That's why I do the quoting , with LORD's help, and let you who are interested in reading them get convicted from God on your own.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,383,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Unfortunately I believe it will be law in all states within 10 years and Christianity, true Christianity, will be outlawed once again as hateful. I hope the Lord returns by this time but for all we know it could be another 60 years before His return because the world can get so much worse than what it is. Once the gays get their way it leaves the door open to all who want to marry in their own way like polygamy, incest, beastiality and many other sexually perverse relationships.
You REALLY think Christianity will be OUTLAWED?! That is absurd. How does Gay Marriage = Christianity Outlawed? You think it can't get worse? You're kidding! How are things worse now than they were in the past? I'd rather be alive now that 100 years ago for example when women were still treated like trash. Baby and cooking machines were all they were good for. Child abuse was common place. Beat em for everything. Beat the women too! Blacks were treated the same. So all the gay folks were in the closet 100 years ago. Now they are not....and that makes it worse. Huh.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,969,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I don't know how much you read the bible, but again this is the classic example people give to justify gay marriage. The part of the bible you are talking about, primarily happened in the old testament when God allowed men to have multiple wives and concubines. Here is a list of Scriptures for you to read and interpret on you own about God commanding CHRISTIANS to have one wife or one husband. Then tell me if you feel that it's justified for Christians to accept gay marriage and having more than one husband and wife.

Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well.

Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

If anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination.

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

When I read this Scripture as a Christian, I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. To me it says to me that if I don't want to get into any sexual sin, fornication, adultery, and gay sex, then follow what this verse says. It's as plain as day, and yet so many people, including Christians, tend to overlook this verse.

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Old Testament

And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

Some people WON"T read this Scpritures and accept them as God's word, especially if they are violating any one of these. That's why I do the quoting , with LORD's help, and let you who are interested in reading them get convicted from God on your own.
Once you start saying "God allowed" in one instance and then does "not allow" in another, that god loses ALL credibility to me. This is supposedly a god who does NOT change I am told.

Oh, I read the Bible front to back a few times and I will also tell you something else your god allowed (as I remember a good 95% of what I read). In speaking of David, the writer has god supposedly telling David via the prophet Nathan:

"I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah." (II Samuel 12:8)

Seems like this god was not above being a a product of the times. Why did he think David needed all those wives again? So he is upset that David grabs another man's wife but not about having more than one of them as was his supposed intended design with Adam and Eve?

Why reject examples in one Testament and follow them in another?

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 05-16-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 AM

I just have one questions for the die hard anti gay marriage group. What are you afraid will happen if gays can get married? Okay make it two questions. How will it affect your rights personally?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know how much you read the bible, but again this is the classic example people give to justify gay marriage, because what you are really saying is that the bible must be contradicting itself since even so called righteous men that you highlighed have devalued marriage. The part of the bible you are talking about, primarily happened in the old testament when God allowed men to have multiple wives and concubines, the bible has made it quite clear that ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT( MARRIED OR NOT). Here is a list of Scriptures for you to read and interpret on you own about God commanding CHRISTIANS to have one wife or one husband. Then tell me if you feel that it's justified for Christians to accept gay marriage and having more than one husband and wife.

Old Testament

Oh my! I am sitting here cracking up at Titus 1:6! When I was in church, the preachers, elders, and teachers kids were the WORST ones in church! Insubordination was their favorite past time!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Once you start saying "God allowed" in one instance and then does "not allow" in another, that god loses ALL credibility to me. This is supposedly a god who does NOT change I am told.

Oh, I read the Bible front to back a few times and I will also tell you something else your god allowed (as I remember a good 95% of what I read). In speaking of David, the writer has god supposedly telling David via the prophet Nathan:

"I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah." (II Samuel 12:8)

Seems like this god was not above being a a product of the times. Why did he think David needed all those wives again? So he is upset that David grabs another man's wife but not about having more than one of them as was his supposed intended design with Adam and Eve?
Well insane...you know they will come up with all kinds of excuses for god. I see it as he (god) saw how bad things were and changed his mind. He had Jesus set up new rules. (I mean if all this true and all) But then they will say...."Oh NO god NEVER changes his mind!!!"

Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh my! I am sitting here cracking up at Titus 1:6! When I was in church, the preachers, elders, and teachers kids were the WORST ones in church! Insubordination was their favorite past time!
So if I am understanding you correctly, you were basing your relationship with God, if were a church goer at that time, on what men did in the church.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Well thank you for letting me know that my God, who has sovereignty to do as He pleases, makes Him a wishy washy God, as you are basically saying.

Since you have read the bible, then you would have also read that Satan is AWAYS looking for any momentary weakness in the Christian, and this is what happened to David. Keep in mind, he didn't have access to a Bible, and even though he was walking closely with God, it just goes to show that even the "strongest" Christians sin. David paid the price for his sin. Also remember, a Christian is not perfect, just forgiven.

Like any temptation that a Christian may face, it's not the temptation that's the sin, it's yielding to the tempation that is a sin. In the case of David, it was not the temptation of seeing Batshebea taking a bath that was to sin, it was to second look that brought about adultery, scheming and murder that was the sin.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,969,798 times
Quote:
Well thank you for letting me know that my God, who has sovereignty to do as He pleases, makes Him a wishy washy God, as you are basically saying.
That "proof" is in the pudding Antredd. The Bible is often its own worst enemy.

Quote:
Since you have read the bible, then you would have also read that Satan is AWAYS looking for any momentary weakness in the Christian, and this is what happened to David.
Having god give him Saul's harem of women was 'momentary weakness???'

Quote:
Keep in mind, he didn't have access to a Bible...
No, he had one better - prophets (supposedly direct links to god) talking to him. No misinterpretation possible.

Quote:
...and even though he was walking closely with God, it just goes to show that even the "strongest" Christians sin. David paid the price for his sin. Also remember, a Christian is not perfect, just forgiven.

Like any temptation that a Christian may face, it's not the temptation that's the sin, it's yielding to the tempation that is a sin. In the case of David, it was not the temptation of seeing Batshebea taking a bath that was to sin, it was to second look that brought about adultery, scheming and murder that was the sin.
This is completely irrelevant to what I was pointing out Antredd. I was NOT talking about David and Bathsheba. I was talking about god giving David Saul's harem of wives for himself when people like you are implying this same god was simply allowing the practice for a few thousands years until he sent Paul a memo to pass on to the rest of us that he does not roll like that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity