Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

I was in a very heated argument today with someone I work with and have considered a friend. She was mad at me for something regarding work and came at me with both barrels. I was side-swiped by her hateful words. I'm Irish and I hold my temper very well, but today every ounce of my temper came out at this woman.

I was on the defense and responded to one of her accusations with, "well I could really care less what you or this other person thinks of me." She was simply aghast that I could actually say words like that. Her response? "I thought you were supposed to be a Christian! You're a bad Christian."

With that said, here is my beef with her and every other non-christian who say things like that. Why is it that when you're standing up for yourself, or make a comment like I did, do non-christians throw out that "you're supposed to be a Christian!" You want to offend a Christian? Say that and see what happens.

I personally get extremely offended and ticked off when that statement is said either to me or others. It's like that's the only time they can even bring up God or Christianity...when they can throw it in someone's face. I've personally lost quite a bit of respect for this woman and while we still have to work together, we will have a distant work-only relationship. Sadly the friendship is ruined.

I was very upset and it took me hours to talk with my wife about this as she heard through the door. I also thought a long time about what I consider an equivalent statement would be.

If I were in an argument it would be like me saying, "well you're going to hell anyway you good-for-nothing heathen-dog-sinner so I'm not going to waste my time being your friend. I could care less about you so buh-bye you sorry SOB."

Christians -- have you ever experienced this? And if so how have you dealt with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
I haven't heard anything about myself...but while working, I constantly hear one woman at work berade another and say..."See, she's not so much a Christian." or "She thinks she's so high and mighty and but I listen to her gossip everyday"....
Even though these statements aren't about myself, they go all through me.
I should probably say more, but usually, I just say....she's human and she is a very good person...we all have our faults.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Sometimes people are just waiting for us to mess up and try to make us feel guilty by saying "your supposed to be a Christian". Maybe that makes them feel good, by thinking they are "exposing our faults". They just don't understand that just because we are Christians, we still sin yes we still sin, but we are forgiven.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Hate is certainly not limited to any type of people.
Sorry to hear about your experience. It could be that the outbursts were building for some time and erupted today. Could it also be stress from the job and not personal issues? Nowadays, I think many people are stressed at their jobs, plenty of things to worry about, if they will still have a job in the future.
I know it's bad when something like this happens among people who have to see each other every day at a job. Maybe the both of you will use the weekend to cool down and work on a different perspective on Monday. It may be useful to try and create a small bridge on Monday, otherwise it could become a permanent icy situation. Waiting for apologies may not work because of pride, who's going to apologize first?
When encountering unpleasant situations on a job the thought of everything said stays with me for a few days. I hope it's not like that for either one of you.
Good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
If I were in an argument it would be like me saying, "well you're going to hell anyway you good-for-nothing heathen-dog-sinner so I'm not going to waste my time being your friend. I could care less about you so buh-bye you sorry SOB."
Is this what you are thinking in your mind...and just not saying it out loud?

I only ask because I do not know you and don't know how to take what you wrote. If you're saying, this is what you're really thinking but not saying... or if this is something you would NEVER think in the first place?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Be assertive without being rude. Don't gossip, stay busy! We are being watched - but we can't live the christian life in our own power or strenth, we need Gods strength and his wisdom.

Before I come to work, driving here, I pray - Lord help me be a light. I can't do it myself. Keep me Lord.

We have to put on the full armour of God. We will have battles - but be of good courage! If God is for you WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU!!! So don't let them wind you up! You can be polite and assertive - but remember, you are an alien - this world is not your home!!! We are like fish out of water. Keep focused on the Lord, keep doing your best!!!! Godbless.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM

oh and for the record some of the most hateful people I've ever known in my life were the staunchest so-called "Christians".

Christian is a label anyone can slap on theirselves.

The fruits of the spirit expressed in a person's life are what show if a person is truly following Christ.

A label means absolutely nothing.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Yes, I have had this happen! And have learned that the best thing to do is to go asap and I know it is the most difficult thing to do, but to ask her for forgiveness! God will give you the grace to do it!

Pray Hoosier that bitterness or resentment doesn't settle in your heart! When it had happen to me that was the first thing after I asked the Lord to forgive me, was that the Lord would keep me from a hard heart of what happen.

The Lord tells us in Eph.4:26-27 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.

Believe me it is really important. The bitterness and resentment will be the devils foot hold in your heart.

Asking her for forgiveness will be the testimony of His grace in your life.

God does expect us to forgive and He gives us the grace to heal. But I don't believe He expects us to be buddy, buddy with them and understands the betrayal of her words.....

Blessings

Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Is this what you are thinking in your mind...and just not saying it out loud?

I only ask because I do not know you and don't know how to take what you wrote. If you're saying, this is what you're really thinking but not saying... or if this is something you would NEVER think in the first place?
No, I didn't think this while she was saying it. It actually took me a couple of hours to come up with this.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
No, I didn't think this while she was saying it. It actually took me a couple of hours to come up with this.

So... you do think it then? or..?
Sorry, just trying to clarify what you mean.

Is this how you see her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity