U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
 
8,990 posts, read 8,704,131 times
Reputation: 726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree, CelticLady1. God bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree, CelticLady1. God bless.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Shana. you agree? So you agree that the church should have graven images of Jesus? Do you agree that Jesus should be used as some sort of "marketing tool"?

Please show me the verse where God will approve of this?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-17-2009 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
 
Location: NC
11,512 posts, read 8,966,096 times
Reputation: 1268
Fundamentalist, I am wondering if you would be this upset if the thread was about any sculpture of Jesus. Are people worshipping this sculpture and see it as an idol or is it artistic expression, just like a picture might be? Jesus is the exact representation of the invisible God and this is who we worship, not a graven image. I don't see anything wrong with the sculpture of Jesus wearning jeans. If someone is worshipping it, then yes, I would have a problem. We see images of Jesus every day, representations of Him and some of these can be helpful in reaching out to people, just like music does. God can work through art and other expressions to draw people to Himself. People are drawn to Jesus because of what He taught, because of who He is, and because of what He has done for us. People can respond to this through art. BTW all images of Jesus are not white. God bless.

Quote:
4)I am black and yet Jesus is always depicted as being white which is not true, so the image of Jesus does not affect me one bit, NOT ONE BIT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
 
7,462 posts, read 7,069,987 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I'm just comcerned that people will begin to see Jesus as we are...walking around in jeans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you agree that Jesus should be used as some sort of "marketing tool"?
It's a sculpture. It's art.

How many sculptures and/or paintings of Jesus would one find "reverent" or a bit more "politically correct" as adhering to one's beliefs?

June has no real feelings about the sculpture, per se, one way or another. -Except for the fact that it made her think. (Which hopefully is what any artist would aspire to illicit in people.) Art is a product of culture. Each and everyone of us who post on this forum are a part of, and comprise culture. God became man within a certain time, place, and culture. However, it would seem to June that the whole purpose, the whole point behind that (and behind Christianity in general) is to denote the fact that Jesus transcends culture. --Otherwise, what would have been the point of his death and resurrection?

As such, He should be just as relevant today as he was thousands of years ago. And the person in jeans sitting across from me on the subway, or the person standing in front of me in line at the grocery store who is wearing jeans is equally as worthy of what Jesus offered; is equally as much a child of God. If people really understood, internalized, and lived as Jesus instructed, then it would stand to reason that they would see God in others. And their actions and attitudes would thereby reflect that.

A commercial depicting Jesus singing a jingle would constitute a "marketing tool." A sculpture or painting is something altogether different. For all we know, the artist may well have externalized his own sense of reverence and awe in sculpting what he did. A sculpted stone testament; prayer.

Art, like Jesus, transcends culture. Art makes a statement.

A stone sculpture will give way to the elements of nature over time, and erode. What will it look like and represent thousands of years from now?

Where does your God exist today, what does he look like, where do you see him, and what does he represent to you today, thousands of years after he walked the earth? -Has that eroded as well, or has it endured?

Take gentle artistic care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
 
8,990 posts, read 8,704,131 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Fundamentalist, I am wondering if you would be this upset if the thread was about any sculpture of Jesus. Are people worshipping this sculpture and see it as an idol or is it artistic expression, just like a picture might be? Jesus is the exact representation of the invisible God and this is who we worship, not a graven image. I don't see anything wrong with the sculpture of Jesus wearning jeans. We see images of Jesus every day, representations of Him and some of these can be helpful in reaching out to people, just like music does. God can work through art and other expressions to draw people to Himself. People are drawn to Jesus because of what He taught, because of who He is, and what because of what He has done for us. People can respond to this through art. BTW all images of Jesus are not white. God bless.
Did you listen to the report? the old gentleman who approved of it was said, it was some sort of a way to draw people, again if a church just wants to have a statue of Jesus then I am fine with that but when you are using that statue to somehow make Jesus desirable, cool or more interesting to the world, that we have taken it upon ourselves to display Jesus that the world can appreciate or accept, then that is not biblical nor is it our job. That way is much more dangerous than a crucifix in a bucket of urine IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
 
12,392 posts, read 14,899,609 times
Reputation: 14598
People who believe and accept Christ are given gifts, sometimes multiple gifts, all for His service.. Some have gifts to enhance their worship meetings...If a statue of Christ in blue jeans or a tuxedo draws one person to seek Him then ...Praise the Lord, one more may be added to the Church..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-17-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: NC
11,512 posts, read 8,966,096 times
Reputation: 1268
Fundamentalist, I think about how many people have had difficulty reading the scriptures or who have not had access to the scriptures due to the language of a particular translation. Why do we share the gospel? We want people to learn of Jesus, what He has done for them, and hope and pray that they will come to Him as a result. It is an effort to reach out to the lost. I don't know that the statue is about making Jesus cool, desirable, or more interesting, but it seems to be an effort to reach out in a way so that people can see that Jesus is the same and is relevant regardless of our culture or point in time. He is just as relevant for us today as He was back in the days that He walked in the flesh upon the earth. He is our Savior today just as He was back then. Btw is there another link to the video? I can't pull it up now. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Hot-Houston Texas
20,026 posts, read 20,822,117 times
Reputation: 28066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi ILNC, why is wearing jeans evil? What about the garments that Jesus wore in that day? What did the people wear in that day? Did His wearing of the regular garments of the culture mean that this was evil? He interacted with ordinary people. It isn't about the clothing, but if the clothing on the statue relayed something immoral, or indecent, I would agree. God bless.

.
Hi Shana, I did not say wearing jeans is evil. I said putting Jesus in jeans is blasphemy. He cannot be brought down to our level, He is Holy and pure and putting Him in jeans is degrading to our Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Location: NC
11,512 posts, read 8,966,096 times
Reputation: 1268
Hi, ILNC. Why is it degrading? What is evil about it? Was it evil for Jesus to wear the garments that people wore in the days that He walked the earth in the flesh? He was a King, yet He did not wear the garments of a king. Was it wrong for Him to eat with sinners and walk among the common people in these garments? How is wearing a garment that was contemporary in His day degrading to the Lord? If He came to earth today and put on a pair of jeans and lived and walked among sinners and the common people like He did back in the day, why is this blasphemy or degrading? His holiness and purity transcend a pair of jeans. He connects with all people regardless of their culture or point in time. He is the Son of Man as well as the Son of God. Showing this by depicting Him in a pair of jeans for this purpose is not disrespectful and it not bringing Him down o the level of this evil world. Nothing can bring Him down to the level of this evil world. He transcends this evil world.God bless.

Quote:
These two posts explain very well why it is blasphemy. This is Jesus, we're talking about here, our Savior who we are to worship, He is holy and to be treated with the highest respect and not brought down to the level of this evil world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Hot-Houston Texas
20,026 posts, read 20,822,117 times
Reputation: 28066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, ILNC. Why is it degrading? What is evil about it? Was it evil for Jesus to wear the garments that people wore in the days that He walked the earth in the flesh? He was a King, yet He did not wear the garments of a king. Was it wrong for Him to eat with sinners and walk among the common people in these garments? How is wearing a garment that was contemporary in His day degrading to the Lord? If He came to earth today and put on a pair of jeans and lived and walked among sinners and the common people like He did back in the day, why is this blasphemy or degrading? His holiness and purity transcend a pair of jeans. He connects with all people regardless of their culture or point in time. He is the Son of Man as well as the Son of God. God bless.
I did NOT say it was evil! But yes it's degrading, it's bringing Jesus down to a level He does not deserve to be at. This is way I see it, you see it different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 PM
 
Location: NC
11,512 posts, read 8,966,096 times
Reputation: 1268
Why do you believe that it is degrading, ILNC? You say that is it is wrong because it brings Jesus down to the level of this evil world. This means to me that wearing jeans is wrong because it reflects this evil world. Was it degrading for Jesus to wear the garments that people wore in the days that He walked the earth in the flesh?

This is why I am having a hard time seeing where you are coming from, ILNC. He was a King, yet He did not wear the garments of a king, right? He connected with the people for whom He died. If the statue was wearing a suit and tie, would it be degrading? That He wore a robe back in the day like His contemporaries does not reflect His holiness. If Jesus had been sent to earth today in our culture and time and walked in a pair of jeans just as people in our culture and society do, this would be degrading to you, ILNC? Just trying to understand. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-17-2009 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top