U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,730,038 times

Advertisements

What was the experience that led to you being "saved" or becoming a Christian? What did you do to become saved and/or what led you to this experience? In other words, let's hear your testimony.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 05-19-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM

178 posts, read 338,618 times
Never really had an experience that converted me to Christianity since I was raised by my parents in Christian belief. I ever since I had trusted and believe in GOD. With Jesus Christ as my Savior and redeemer. I had always had the knowledge. But what had lacked in all of those years was to fully understand the Gospel and its message. I never really did anything to grasp that assurance that seems to be the only hollow thing in my faith. It came to pass when I came to realize that what I had been thought over the years are just the basics and the real deal is when that knowledge turns into wisdom.. Practically, by GODS grace he made me understand what is and what is not..And I thank GOD for it.. cause now I am sure and running the race.. still running the race..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,472,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
What was the experience that led to you being "saved" or becoming a Christian? What did you do to become saved and/or what led you to this experience? In other words, let's hear your testimony.

God chooses us, we don't choose Him or do anything to save ourselves. We are dead-spiritually dead, the dead can't do anything, we can't save ourselves and we can't unsave ourselves.
God drew me to Him with through a bad movie entitled, "Constantine", later led me to a video "Hell's best kept secret", like a light bulb I went from a liberal who didn't believe in sufficiency of scripture to what I use to hate, a Christian who has a fundamental, literal understanding of scripture.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

God chooses us, we don't choose Him or do anything to save ourselves. We are dead-spiritually dead, the dead can't do anything, we can't save ourselves and we can't unsave ourselves.
It was a bad movie entitled, "Constantine", later led me to a video "Hell's best kept secret"
Let me see if I get you. You became a Christian via a video titled "Hells best kept secret?" Just want to make sure that is what you are saying?

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM

13,469 posts, read 21,248,420 times
Quote:
There was no special experience, no bolts of lightening, no drum rolls
I was not a druggie, prostitute, never been in jail and was a virgin when I married and I never beat my kids..I have believed ever since I can remember, because my Mom was a believer...Things have happened in my life to make me a stronger believer and bring me to the point that no one can take that from me, and has also brought me to understand that I can save no one else I can lead them to the water if they ask, but they have to be thirsty enough to bow down and drink all by themselves

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,250,755 times
Default My Life is a Witness to God's Mercy and Grace...

...I'll begin back in the year 1964...I was 7 years old. My earliest memories of my childhood are dark, and disturbing...to say the least. My father was an alcoholic...and mean...and I remember crouching in the dark hallway of our house, holding a 4 year old sister in one arm, and holding the 1 year old sister in the other arm, while we watched him beat, and throw our mother against the walls..and hearing her scream from the pain he was inflicting upon her......when he wasn't bullying her, he would turn on me, and with a full strong hand...slap me across the face...first on one side, then the other...I loved him so much...he was my knight in shining armor.......this continued on for the rest of my childhood, into my teen years...suffice to say, as a teen, I had no self-esteem...I certainly did not think of myself as being good for anything...nor did I think I could do anything right...for I was taught that I was a worthless piece of s**t. As far as I was concerned, I had no value...no worth...no purpose...no dreams...no hopes...no joy...I was a very, very depressed child, and a very, very depressed teenager.
When I turned 13...I was raped by a 22 year old...I didn't know what was happening...I only remember laying there on the cold, wet ground, next to a building in a dark alley...crying...as he quickly did what he did..and then he left...I didn't know him...but I cordially knew his younger brother from school...I didn't tell anyone what had happened out of fear of being beat...because I knew my dad would blame me...so I kept it closed up inside. I missed one period...two periods...my mother caught on and asked me one night in my room about it...I broke down in tears and confessed to her that I was pregnant...at 13...but I still didn't tell her that I was raped, because keeping my friends was more important, and I didn't want to get them in trouble, (my father would have killed this man)...(I was starving for acceptance). My mother told me I had to tell my father...so she went into the living room with me, and I knelt in front of my dad, and told him I was pregnant...so afraid of him...and these are the words that came from is mouth, that NEVER, EVER left me for the remaining days of my life...He said: "You are no better than a dog...even a dog doesn't know any better, get out of my sight you *****!"... Mother flew me to N.Y., to a hospital, and aborted the baby...to save face with their friends.

By the time I was 19 years old, I found my peace in alcohol and drugs...I was numb...I drank straight gin...vodka...whiskey...rum..smoked marajuana...snorted cocaine...did acid...gave my body to any man that would show me attention...one morning I woke up next to someone I never knew...he stunk..he was filthy...gross, and passed out...I didn't know where I was, but I got up, got dressed, walked out the door, and navigated my way home, on foot, and got home 4 hours later...hung-over...used...abused...feeling worthless and dirty and filthy......this walk home was the day I first looked up into the bright sun shining in my face...face covered in tears, I could hardly see where I was going through the tears...crying out to God to forgive me...and begging him to help me......Nothing happened right away, and I didn't realize it then, but this prayer changed the course of my life. I was 24 years old on this day.

I'll spare you all the awful details of what happened to me from the age of 24 up to the year I went to church in 1988, on an Easter Sunday, and I was sitting up in the balcony of the sanctuary, (as far back and away as possible), and the pastor..who was Benny Hinn...pointed up to me, and told me, that if I would love the Lord, and follow Him in His footsteps, and learn His ways, that He would bless me and my daughter..He called me down to the altar, layed hands on me, and prayed for deliverance...I was never to be the same again. (Prior to this day in church, from the age of 24 to the age of 31, I had been married, divorced, and had a little girl) I've held my first, lifeless grandchild in my hands, crying while holding him in my arms...I named him Gabriel...a little tiny boy..perfectly formed...still-born by my daughter...he died in her at 3 months old in the womb...When I finally met the man of my dreams, who loved me more than life itself, and asked me to marry him, we married in 1998...I led him in the sinner's prayer one evening...months later, we were sitting on the edge of our bed...writing out checks for our bills, and he dropped the pen that was in his hand onto the floor...I bent over to pick it up for him, and he fell forward...a massive heart attack...I held him in my arms waiting for the ambulance...begging him not to leave me. ..rocking him in my arms...he opened his eyes one final time and looked at me, and told me he loved me.....and he died in my arms. We had only been married for 1 1/2 years...the most beautiful 1 1/2 years of my entire life...and I knew he was going to be with the Lord, and he told me he loved me before he died...this is what kept me from totally ending everything...I went into a very, very, very deep, dark depression...closed myself up in my house, closed the windows and stayed in darkness...no joy...no sound...no colors...no music...no T.V...no people...no hope...I would watch the morning turn into the afternoon and the afternoon turn into the night, and do that over and over and over again for 4 years...until one night...I pressed the power-on button on my T.V. after not touching it for an entire 2 years...and on the T.V. was a pastor named Sammy Hinn, Benny Hinn's brother, I knew him personally...He was saying to me...Jesus wants you back...come out of your darkness into the light...into the arms of Jesus...He needs you....He needs me?...Does He really need ME?...I got down on my knees, and for the first time in over a year, I cried...and I cried, and I cried...all night...the next morning, for the first time, I saw a sky...and it was blue...I saw a red Cardinal sitting in a bright green tree, and I heard his song...I hadn't seen color or heard sounds in a long time...I only saw darkness and knew only silence...dead silence for so long...I awoke!! I opened my curtains...all of them...I dusted the furniture, and vacuumed the floors...did the laundry!!! The Love of God came into me, filled me...and opened up my mind again to see the beauty of His creation again...this occurred in the year 2003...and since then, I have grown and matured in the Lord..until I am where I am today...filled with joy...love for others...and especially love for myself...and know now how valuable I am to God...and that He treasures me...I have hope...dreams..a purpose...I love my father...the earthly one who used to beat me...he's different now...he loves me and he is so sorry for those bad years...I have forgiven him totally...my ex-husband stays in contact with me, he respects me, my daughter is doing wonderfully...she gave me another grandchild...alive and kicking...cooing and burping and smiling....OH GOD!!!!.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLESSING UPON MY LIFE!!! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN THROUGH>>>>IT HAS MADE ME THE FANTASTIC PERSON I AM TODAY!! And I wouldn't change a single thing....nothing...because I am strong now...confident...loving...compassionate...and I understand what it feels like to suffer...and I know what rejection and pain feels like...so I can be a blessing to others who come up behind me who are experiencing the same things I did...and I can help them get through it a little easier...I am a walking testimony to the Love, the mercy, and the grace God has for a sinner living in pure hell...in pure darkness...LOOK what My God can do!!...And if He can do it for me...He can and will do it for you...if you let Him!!!

Love,
Verna

Last edited by Verna Perry; 05-19-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,472,857 times
Quote:
Let me see if I get you. You became a Christian via a video titled "Hells best kept secret?" Just want to make sure that is what you are saying?

Thanks.
Yup.....you should check it out. I dare you to watch it, it may not change you but it will clean your mind of the abhorrent teaching you have heard over the years

Hell's Best Kept Secret - Evangelist Ray Comfort www.LivingWaters.com

Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yup.....you should check it out. I dare you to watch it, it may not change you but it will clean your mind of the abhorrent teaching you have heard over the years

Hell's Best Kept Secret - Evangelist Ray Comfort www.LivingWaters.com
Thank you.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM

13,469 posts, read 21,248,420 times
Verna, first I cried tears of sadness then cried tears of joy as God healed you and blessed you with a kind loving husband to show you how to love and to accept love..Then I knew you were completely healed because God gave you another grandchild to hold, love and raise up to know Him as you do..God bless you...

Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,250,755 times
Default Oh...thank you Miss Blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Verna, first I cried tears of sadness then cried tears of joy as God healed you and blessed you with a kind loving husband to show you how to love and to accept love..Then I knew you were completely healed because God gave you another grandchild to hold, love and raise up to know Him as you do..God bless you...
...for your heartfelt words......it's good to give one's testimony...it brings you into remembrance of how awesome God truly is........and how His love can change deep, darkness into wonderful glorious light!!!...now you may understand my joy...my passion...to love....just to love others...and my pure joy of having a precious little grandchild to hold and caress and kiss...If i die tonight...I die a happy...whole..complete person...in need of nothing more. Thank you Miss Blue...I love you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity