Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

In my devotion time today I came across a verse that spoke directly to my heart. "...Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers." 1 Corinthians 6:7-8.

These verses in context, Paul is talking to the Corinthians about bringing lawsuits against one another in front of the unbelieving community, instead of between themselves.

I thought about these verses and am reminded of an event a lifetime ago when I was taken to court by some Christian friends who were my roommates for a short period of time. I moved out because it was a very uncomfortable situation (they were married and had many problems). They took me to court and it was like a three-ring circus.

I can also apply these verses in my current life and think about how I act when people wrong me. How do I respond in the face of someone taking advantage of me? Do I try and get them back and do wrong to them? Sadly, I can't say that I haven't done that before. How do I know when to bite back, and not be taken advantage of, and when I should turn the other cheek?

Now it is my understanding that these verses are intended for brothers and sisters and not for believer and unbeliever relationships. It may be applied to them, but I believe Paul is talking to the church in Corinth.

I wanted to bring this up in the forum as a reminder and encouragement for believers to do what is right. It's tough getting wronged by one another. It's tough hearing brothers and sisters saying awful things about you, but it happens.

Many outside the church will look in and call us hypocrites. I disagree! We are working our salvation out with fear and trembling (well, most of us). Many will see us as though we think ourselves perfect. That is so far from the truth.

Lastly, Paul says in 1 Corinthians 5:12-13, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Selah.......................
Thanks Hoosier for sharing this with us
Thanks for the admonishment and wake call for all of us that claim to be true believers
in Christ Jesus Our Savior, Redeemer;
that we abide in Him and not ourselves
God Bless You

Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
Hoosier, i hear exactly what your saying. And thank you. Sometimes its easier to turn back to old ways the "im gonna get you before you get me" ways. BUT, its not until you fully devote yourself to the Lord and following in the word that you realize there is other ways. Blessings to you.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Hoosier, i hear exactly what your saying. And thank you. Sometimes its easier to turn back to old ways the "im gonna get you before you get me" ways. BUT, its not until you fully devote yourself to the Lord and following in the word that you realize there is other ways. Blessings to you.

This is soo true sunshineann;
Only until we fully devote ourselves, total surrender to our ways (surrender)
God Bless You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0quPixdQtM

Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
In my devotion time today I came across a verse that spoke directly to my heart. "...Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers." 1 Corinthians 6:7-8.

These verses in context, Paul is talking to the Corinthians about bringing lawsuits against one another in front of the unbelieving community, instead of between themselves.

I thought about these verses and am reminded of an event a lifetime ago when I was taken to court by some Christian friends who were my roommates for a short period of time. I moved out because it was a very uncomfortable situation (they were married and had many problems). They took me to court and it was like a three-ring circus.

I can also apply these verses in my current life and think about how I act when people wrong me. How do I respond in the face of someone taking advantage of me? Do I try and get them back and do wrong to them? Sadly, I can't say that I haven't done that before. How do I know when to bite back, and not be taken advantage of, and when I should turn the other cheek?

Now it is my understanding that these verses are intended for brothers and sisters and not for believer and unbeliever relationships. It may be applied to them, but I believe Paul is talking to the church in Corinth.

I wanted to bring this up in the forum as a reminder and encouragement for believers to do what is right. It's tough getting wronged by one another. It's tough hearing brothers and sisters saying awful things about you, but it happens.

Many outside the church will look in and call us hypocrites. I disagree! We are working our salvation out with fear and trembling (well, most of us). Many will see us as though we think ourselves perfect. That is so far from the truth.

Lastly, Paul says in 1 Corinthians 5:12-13, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside...."
You are so right. When people do us wrong it may hurt and we feel like evil is getting away with what they have done to us.

But God wants us to act the way that He would act. People have done me wrong and really hurt me. I'll be honest I was really hurt and might have cried about the situation but I didn't take revenge.

Then I saw God fight for me. Everything that they did to me, God began doing to them. It is an amazing thing to see God fight for you.

There are some people walking around now that have done things that have hurt me. I even pray for those people for God to not take out His wrath against them. Because I now understand that God will defend His children.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
"Don't get mad, get even." Why bother with this saying? It is better to forgive and forget in my book.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I suppose the difficult part in this is deciding where to draw the line. If someone comes up and punches you repeatedly, my own thought is that you do your best to fight off the attacker to the point you can get away. But if you gain the upper hand, don't beat him to the point of brain damage or death.

But where this all seems to come into play the most, at least for me, is behind the wheel I think there's some joke about Catholics running each other down in the parking lot after church, but I forgot the specifics of it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

He gives us strength for the battle, through His shed blood on Calvary

YouTube - I Understand-Smokey Norkful

Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
I wanted to bring this up in the forum as a reminder and encouragement for believers to do what is right.
Amen...........
Romans 12:9-19 (NCV)
9 Your love must be real. Hate what is evil, and hold on to what is good.
10 Love each other like brothers and sisters. Give each other more honor than you want for yourselves.
11 Do not be lazy but work hard, serving the Lord with all your heart.
12 Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times.
13 Share with God's people who need help. Bring strangers in need into your homes.

14 Wish good for those who harm you; wish them well and do not curse them.
15Be happy with those who are happy, and be sad with those who are sad.
16 Live in peace with each other. Do not be proud, but make friends with those who seem unimportant. Do not think how smart you are. 17 If someone does wrong to you, do not pay him back by doing wrong to him. Try to do what everyone thinks is right.
18 Do your best to live in peace with everyone.
19 My friends, do not try to punish others when they wrong you, but wait for God to punish them with his anger. It is written: "I will punish those who do wrong; I will repay them," says the Lord.
20 But you should do this:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him a drink.
Doing this will be like pouring burning coals on his head." —( Proverbs 25:21–22 )
21 Do not let evil defeat you, but defeat evil by doing good.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Amen...........
Romans 12:9-19 (NCV)
9 Your love must be real. Hate what is evil, and hold on to what is good.
10 Love each other like brothers and sisters. Give each other more honor than you want for yourselves.
11 Do not be lazy but work hard, serving the Lord with all your heart.
12 Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times.
13 Share with God's people who need help. Bring strangers in need into your homes.

14 Wish good for those who harm you; wish them well and do not curse them.
15Be happy with those who are happy, and be sad with those who are sad.
16 Live in peace with each other. Do not be proud, but make friends with those who seem unimportant. Do not think how smart you are. 17 If someone does wrong to you, do not pay him back by doing wrong to him. Try to do what everyone thinks is right.
18 Do your best to live in peace with everyone.
19 My friends, do not try to punish others when they wrong you, but wait for God to punish them with his anger. It is written: "I will punish those who do wrong; I will repay them," says the Lord.
20 But you should do this:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him a drink.
Doing this will be like pouring burning coals on his head." —( Proverbs 25:21–22 )
21 Do not let evil defeat you, but defeat evil by doing good.
Amen!! I highlighted a portion of the scripture to share how true that point is. I had a situation where an employer really did me wrong and lied to the state and got my unemployment benefits revoked. He was firing people left and right, paychecks bouncing (which is why I chose to leave) and more. Oh, and he claimed to be a Christian -- one of my clients was his church!

I've recently learned that he went out of business and has moved out of this town! He was put in jail for smacking his wife around and hopefully she was smart enough to leave. He is a very vindictive person and will do anything to make a buck at anyone's expense. Well I know that the Lord is taking care of it. He can do such a better job than me or anyone else can. Praise God for his justice--and mercy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity