Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,101 times

Advertisements

John 8:44 For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.

SATAN, THE FATHER OF LIES

In this verse, Jesus exposed one of Satan's major characteristics. He is a liar. Jesus said, "...there is no truth in him..." Just as Jesus is the way, the TRUTH, and the life, and is the source of TRUTH, Satan is the source of all lies. When he speaks, all that comes out of his mouth are lies! He hates truth and one of his strategies is to distort the truth...to pervert the Word of God and hinder God's people from knowing the truth.
It is the truth that sets man free...out of Satan's bondage. Satan does not want to lose his hold on even one person. He blinds the hearts and minds of unbelievers so they will be unable to see the truth.
Sowing lies is one of his major strategies in defeating Christians. Today, many Christians are living defeated lives because they are listening to Satan's lies. He is bombarding their miinds with his lies concerning God's promises to them. He feeds them lies about himself. He lies and "whitewashes" sin. He lies and deceives Christians into believing they are weak and powerless. He lise about their circumstances and tries to make them think that God doesn't care...that there is no hope.
The time has come for God's people to recognize Satan for the LIAR he is and treat him like one! We must take authority over his atack on our minds and reject his lies!!!

I love you,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Default The Strategies of Satan...#10-FEAR...

Genesis 32:1-12 "Jacob Fears Esau"
As Jacob started on his way again, angels of God came to meet him. When Jacob saw them, he exclaimed, "This is God's camp!" So he named the place Mahanaim.
Then Jacob sent messengers ahead to his brother, Esau, who was living in the region of Seir in the land of Edom. He told them, "Give this message to my master Esau: 'Humble greetings from your servant Jacob. Until now I have been living with Uncle Laban, and now I own cattle, donkeys, flocks of sheep and goats, and many servants, both men and women. I have sent these messengers to inform my lord of my coming, hoping that you will be friendly to me.' "
After delivering the message, the messengers returned to Jacob and reported, "We met your brother, Esau, and he is already on his way to meet you ~ with an army of 400 men!" Jacob was terrified at the news. He divided his household, along with the flocks and herds and camels, into two groups. He thought, "If Esau meets one group and attacks it, perhaps the other group can escape.
Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my grandfather Abraham, and God of my father, Isaac ~ O Lord, you told me, "Return to your own land and to your relatives.' And You promised me, 'I will treat you kindly.' I am not worthy of all the unfailing love and faithfulness you have shown to me, your servant. When I left home and crossed the Jordan River, I owned nothing except a walking stick. Now my household fills two large camps! O Lord, please rescue me from the hand of my brother, Esau. I am afraid that he is coming to attack me, along with my wives and children. But You promised me, 'I will surely treat you kindly, and I will multiply your descendants until they become as numerous as the sands along the seashore ~ too many to count,' "

...verses 22-32 "Jacob Wrestles With God"
During the night Jacob got up and took is two wives, his two servant wives, and his eleven sons and crossed the Jabbok River with them. After taking them to the other side, he went over all his possessions.
This left Jacob all alone in the camp, and a man came and wrestled with him until the dawn began to break. When the man saw that he would not win the match, he touched Jacob's hip and wrentched it out of its socket. Then the man said, "Let me go, for the dawn is breaking!"
But Jacob said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me.'
"What is your name?" the man asked.
He replied, "Jacob."
"Your name will no longer be Jacob," the man told him. "From now on you will be called Israel, because you have fought with God and men and have won."
"Please tell me your name," Jacob said.
"Why do you want to know my name?" the man replied. Then he blessed Jacob there.
Jacob named the place Peniel (which means "face of God"), for he said, "I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been spared." The sun was rising as Jacob left Peniel, and he was limping because of his injury to his hip.
(Even today the people of Israel don't eat the tendon near the hip socket because of what happened that night when the man strained the tendon of Jacob's hip. (end)

GOD'S PURPOSE AND PLAN THROUGH OUR CIRCUMSTANCES

God is a God of circumstances. I am so glad He is, for life is made up of circumstances.
Many of the circumstances that we face are God-ordained and often may be completely independant of who we are and even whether or not we are serving God.
I have discovered that many, many, MANY of the circumstances facing people are those which have been allowed into their lives to disrupt and disturb them because of their lack of understanding of what the circumstances of life are all aout.
Often when circumstances seem to be against us the most, the way is paved for God to do such a great work of deliverance in our lives that we know 'beyond a shadow of a doubt" that it was His great arm that saved us.
One purpose of circumstance then, is that God might prove His power and His glory to a world that needs to see His majesty. Another very needful purpose is that He might prove Himself to us in such a way that we learn to trust Him with utter coonfidence no matter what the circumstances look like around us...(Robin is on my heart......)...We can know that He will meet the circumstances of today and tomorrow...for He already has proved Himself in the circumstances of yesterday,
For a tremendous biblical example of a man whose life was caught up in a web of adverse circumstances that seemed completely overwhelming, read chapter 32 of Genesis.
Then God told Jacob to return, and in this chapter we find him doing that...in great fear...because he expected that Esau would still be angry and would hunt him down and kill him. This was a torment that Jacob lived under, hindering him from seeing the good circumstances which also surrounded him. All the time the good circumstances outweighed the bad, but he didn't recognize that.
In his journey "...the angels of God met him" (verse 1). Jacob saw the angels, yet he still continued in absolute fear. Jacob knew what God had promised him (verse 12): ""...I will surely do thee good..." and still Jacob feared.
Jacob had some deep soul searching to do, so he sent his wives and children and servants over the ford called Jabbok, which means "an emptying or pouring out."
What tormented Jacob?...and hindered the flow of God's power in his life?Two things...One, Jacob never realized the actual truth about his situation; and two, he did not understand his position.
I believe that if we, as Christians, knew the truth of our situations and understood our own positions, we would be spared much of the turmoil and uncertainty and fear to be found in our lives today.
Jacob was looking at his circumstances in the natural...from the standpoint of what he deserved, and what he had heard, and what he believed...not on the basis of what God had pomised him, or what God had done in the heart of his brother during his absence.
If we could just learn to see things as God sees them, if we just had His point of view, how different our lives would be!
Fear, as illustrated so well in this story, is a product of ignorance. Most of the time we are afraid of the unknown. For every fearful or overwhelming circumstance, God has the right viewpoint and is able to turn any circumstance completely around and give victory...THANK YOU JESUS!!! That is why it is important to know what our situation really is in the sight of God! If we are in Him, we can trust His understanding and just walk step by step with Him into victory.
The thief is Satan, and one of the things he seeks to steal is our positon or standing before God. And one of the main things he seeks to destroy is our self-image..<<(OH YES HE DOES TRY!!)..Jacob did not understand his true position before God.
When your mind is conditioned to the extent that you see yourself as weak, you see yourself under failure, when that image of self is negative and incorrect, it blocks the power of God from flowing in your life to help you meet the circumstances that you face from day to day.
In verse 24, Jacob meets an angelic being in his wilderness. The angel reminds Jacob that he has power with God and with man and has prevailed (verse 28). Jacob needed to realize that he not only had this power, but that he was not acting like he had it...he was not using it. In other words, Jacob was struggling to get what he already possessed!!! he was not partaking of the provisions that already had been given him!!!
FAITH IS A FACT...BUT FAITH IS AN ACT!!! What Jacob needed to do was realize who he was and act on that knowledge and authority. Because he didn't realize the truth of his circumstances, he struggled.
This is the condition in the lives of most Christians today. When the angel asked Jacob, "What is your name?" Jacob said,, "It is Jacob." The angel replied, "You are mistaken. I know you better than you know yourself. Your name is Israel" (verse 27-28).
The angel was saying: "One day up there in the heavens God changed your name from Jacob, the supplanter and deceiver, and He renamed you Israel. He made you a prince because of a promise that God gave to you, and you have power with God and with men. You do not know it...you are running and hiding and whimpering and crying...but you have POWER!!!
"But as many as receive Him, to them gave He POWER" (John 1;12).
"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you"...(Luke 10:19).
Jacob's name was changed. As Jacob he had nothing...but as a prince of God he entered into a relationship with his heavenly Father that gave him power to meet the circumstances of life...the same power that now belongs to us through Christ Jesus. Amen!

I love you,
Verna.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Lightbulb The Strategies of Satan...#11-To Gain Access To Our Minds

Acts 5:3 "Lying To The Holy Spirit"
Then Peter said, "Ananias, why have you let Satan fill your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit, and you kept some of the money for yourself.

THE BATTLE MUST BE FOUGHT AND WON IN YOUR MIND

We know that although Jesus defeated Satan at Calvary, the victory over Satan that Christ won for us IS NOT OURS AUTOMATICALLY. We have been cleansed, transformed and set free from sin by the blood of Jesus, BUT the victory is NOT ours UNTIL WE PRESS THROUGH IN THE SPIRIT AND WIN THE WAR FOR OUR MINDS!!!
The extent to which we allow Satan to have access into our minds and to control our thoughts is the degree he has control over us.
Satan's strategy is to corrupt our minds so that he will be able to gain control over our wills. As the "prince of this world," he has the ability to "blind" the minds of unbelievers from seeing the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Once he has blinded their minds, he is able to take them captive to do his will.
In Acts 5:3, we see how he filled the heart and mind of Ananias and Sapphira to sin against God. Look at the word "heart" in this verse. The Greek word for heart is "kardis," which stands for man's entire mental and moral activity...the inner man. It is recognized as the place where the emotions, desires, perceptions, thoughts, understanding, reasoning powers, conscience, intentions, the will and imagination reside.
Ananias was a believer and had the ability to control the thoughts which filled his heart and mind. Yet, he failed to reject the evil thoughts Satan had planted in his mind. He gave Satan access to his mind...through this foothold, Satan gained control of his will. When Ananias yielded to the thoughts in his mind, sin was conceived and sin ultimately brought death. (verse 5).
All of the strategies Satan has developed and is using against us today are directed toward our MINDS. Our minds are his major point of attack and it is there...in our minds...the battle MUST BE FOUGHT AND WON!!!

I love you!!
Verna.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Be careful with what you attribute to Satan.

Your posts seem to suggest that any who find truth and wisdom beyond what you currently believe is "deceived" or taken by the devil.

That's a trick used by old church leaders to control people's minds - keep them fearful of exploring beyond the confines of what they have been told. God gave us all minds.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,527 times
God created satan and evil himself (says so in the bible) and god also killed more people in the bible than satan did so why are you so worried about satan?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM

[quote=Bluefly;9089576]Be careful with what you attribute to Satan.
Your posts seem to suggest that any who find truth and wisdom beyond what you currently believe is "deceived" or taken by the devil.

...Please, would you mind pointing it out to me where you believe I suggest this?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly
That's a trick used by old church leaders to control people's minds - keep them fearful of exploring beyond the confines of what they have been told. God gave us all minds.
...I'm ALL ABOUT going head-on AGAINST MOST of what Modern Christianity teaches today!!!..."keeping them fearful of exploring beyond the confines of what they have been told?!!?" ...PLEASE.....you have TOTALLY misinterpreted what I posted! What is it REALLY that I've posted, that you are rejecting here?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Unhappy ...clueless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
God created satan and evil himself (says so in the bible) and god also killed more people in the bible than satan did so why are you so worried about satan?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Be careful with what you attribute to Satan.

...Please, would you mind pointing it out to me where you believe I suggest this?...

...I'm ALL ABOUT going head-on AGAINST MOST of what Modern Christianity teaches today!!!..."keeping them fearful of exploring beyond the confines of what they have been told?!!?" ...PLEASE.....you have TOTALLY misinterpreted what I posted! What is it REALLY that I've posted, that you are rejecting here?
Here is one of many examples:

Quote:
Satan's strategy is to corrupt our minds so that he will be able to gain control over our wills. As the "prince of this world," he has the ability to "blind" the minds of unbelievers from seeing the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Once he has blinded their minds, he is able to take them captive to do his will.
You assume that any who do not agree with your extreme worldview are "blinded" by Satan.

You assume all of us who have evolved our spirituality beyond this notion of "God versus Satan" are deceived by the Devil.

In so doing, you call for people to become servants of your interpretation of God and to never think for themselves - to only parrot what you believe to be ultimate truth. In your mind, any who think for themselves beyond your interpretation of the Bible (a book whose history is riddled with the corruptions of humankind) are taken by the devil.

This mindset prohibits people from using their intellect and power of discernment in seeking truth because you assume all the truth is already understood and anything else is just the power of what you call Satan working in the world. Your belief kills intellectual and spiritual growth because anything outside your box you assume is just what you call Satan. It's a very fear-based worldview and is very dangerous in that it holds people hostage to corrupting powers (anyone in a position of authority can simply say, "That's just Satan" to any idea that challenges their own).

We should seek to awaken within each individual the spirit for growth from within and trust that they will know right from wrong for themselves.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
In so doing, you call for people to become servants of your interpretation of God and to never think for themselves - to only parrot what you believe to be ultimate truth. In your mind, any who think for themselves beyond your interpretation of the Bible (a book whose history is riddled with the corruptions of humankind) are taken by the devil.

This mindset prohibits people from using their intellect and power of discernment in seeking truth because you assume all the truth is already understood and anything else is just the power of what you call Satan working in the world. Your belief kills intellectual and spiritual growth
Just where exactly did you get this from? I mean this being a Christian forum. Where are you getting your information?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Christ.

You endlessly confuse the writings of men years after Jesus lived as being of Christ, Fundie. Christ never prophecized a book to come or ordered people to obey a book. I don't understand your strict adherence to this scripture as the deciding factor of Christ's wisdom.

You can gather hints of truth from these writings, but you must at some point go within. There you will find God's word written in your heart. You are still looking for it in the material world.

Verna - I'm not sure it's very Christ-like to call another's perspective "clueless", as you did Nihonkitty's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity