Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't find it repugnant. I find hicks who watch televangelists from their trailer all day and call the 800 numbers to be bad news. I know so many of these preachy (Christian) people to be more flawed than the non-preachy (Christian) people. As one politician said "Walk softly and carry a big stick."
But what does all of that have to do with truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
But what does all of that have to do with truth?
NOTHING.

Faith is ACTION, not GRANDSTANDING. That said, there are Baptist fundies who are not in adherence to Christian principles and some who are. Also, there are Greek Orthodox folks (yes, baby, with all their statues and icons) adhering to Christian principles and those who do not.

Actions speak louder than words.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
NOTHING.

Faith is ACTION, not GRANDSTANDING. That said, there are Baptist fundies who are not in adherence to Christian principles and some who are. Also, there are Greek Orthodox folks (yes, baby, with all their statues and icons) adhering to Christian principles and those who do not.

Actions speak louder than words.
I agree but truth is truth. You may get mad at hypocrite conservatives but is what they say, truth? Don't throw the message away because the messenger is tainted.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,847 times
Quote:
I don't find it repugnant. I find hicks who watch televangelists from their trailer all day and call the 800 numbers to be bad news. I know so many of these preachy (Christian) people to be more flawed than the non-preachy (Christian) people. As one politician said "Walk softly and carry a big stick."
Hmmm. So as someone with over 16 years of military service, a BS and MS, and someone who never watches televangelists or calls religious 800 numbers, how do I fit in your condescending condemnation of people with conservative Christian values?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
To robertpolyglot: As Christians we SHOULD be striving to be thinking of Christ in all we do, throughout the day, 24/7. He is our anchor and it his His Grace that saves us. We should be striving to let the Holy Spirit guide us in all we do.

To the conservative respondents to this thread: Yes, the Bible is full of passages that show God's wrath. But that is God's, not ours. I don't recall any Bible passages that mention God's wrath and then tell us to "Go and do likewise." Rather, passages instructing us are focused on loving thy neighbor. A hellfire and brimstone approach is entirely misplaced and counter to what is needed. We are to preach the Gospel - the "Good News" of what Christ has done for us. That doesn't include trying to instill fear in their hearts.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
To robertpolyglot: As Christians we SHOULD be striving to be thinking of Christ in all we do, throughout the day, 24/7. He is our anchor and it his His Grace that saves us. We should be striving to let the Holy Spirit guide us in all we do.

To the conservative respondents to this thread: Yes, the Bible is full of passages that show God's wrath. But that is God's, not ours. I don't recall any Bible passages that mention God's wrath and then tell us to "Go and do likewise." Rather, passages instructing us are focused on loving thy neighbor. A hellfire and brimstone approach is entirely misplaced and counter to what is needed. We are to preach the Gospel - the "Good News" of what Christ has done for us. That doesn't include trying to instill fear in their hearts.

Whaaaaat???? In the words of John MacArthur: What kind of bizzare exaggerations are you accusing people of

Not to mention you have given no scripture to support your point?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post

You're presuming we are going out and saying "Oooooh you're bound for hell.....oooh your damned." We are merely responding to topics where judgment, sin, and the consequence of sin are the topics or associated with the topic.

And when someone's soul is endangered, it's quite unloving to pretend no danger exists and to not inform someone is in danger. It's like going to the neighbor's house to borrow some butter, arriving and seeing half the house in flames, and then just asking for butter as if the house were not engulfed though the owner knows no better and you justify not telling him because you don't want to upset him.

When sin, condemnation, et al. is relevant to the topic, it's a duty to tell the ugly truth. If it isn't relevant to the topic then by all means highlight the uplifting aspects of faith.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Hmmm. So as someone with over 16 years of military service, a BS and MS, and someone who never watches televangelists or calls religious 800 numbers, how do I fit in your condescending condemnation of people with conservative Christian values?
I was actually being condescending to people who are condescending. I don't evangelize. People know what my faith is. If they have their own faith, great. If they don't have a faith, they have to ask me and want to find out more. I don't believing in forcing myself or my beliefs on others.

If you quote scripture to people or shake your finger at them, then you would be condescending. If you don't, then you're not condescending. This thread has nothing to do with the continuum of liberal to conservative religious values; rather, it has to do with too much quoting and too much pointing/shaking of the finger. I should have made that clearer. The latter is annoying and brings on the attitude "what gives one such authority?"

Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I was actually being condescending to people who are condescending. I don't evangelize. People know what my faith is. If they have their own faith, great. If they don't have a faith, they have to ask me and want to find out more. I don't believing in forcing myself or my beliefs on others.

If you quote scripture to people or shake your finger at them, then you would be condescending. If you don't, then you're not condescending. This thread has nothing to do with the continuum of liberal to conservative religious values; rather, it has to do with too much quoting and too much pointing/shaking of the finger. I should have made that clearer. The latter is annoying and brings on the attitude "what gives one such authority?"
Good question. What authority lead to this behavior? "All authority in heaven and on earth..." would be the answer.
Matthew 28 (New International Version)

Matthew 28

16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
It is an interesting fact that brimstone in the Hebrew text is tyrpg, transliterated as gophriyth, which figuratively means the breath of Jehovah. And, to add to this imaginative picture, we find in the New Covenant (which anyone who believes the Bible should know), brimstone is linked with purification. And so the Greek defines brimstone as theion, and lo and behold theion is rooted in Theos. So the Lake of Fire is the Lake of Theos radiating with His breath and Presence. Escape the Lake? Perhaps we would like to escape our God who is a consuming fire?

Brimstone=

Gophriyth= The breath of Jehovah

qei'on/ theion = Divine incense with the power to purify

Theion/ qei'on rooted in qei'o/Theios

Theios=

Used by the Greeks in reference to the only true God.

Theios rooted in qeov/ Theos

Theos= The Supreme Deity from which we get Theology.

The Lake Of Fire= The Lake of Theos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity