Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM

96 posts, read 159,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yes one can make a valid assumption about that and some of my ilk would agree with you "double predestination" but I will not make that assumption because I see it no where in scripture. We have a clear beginning and a clear end but the middle is very fuzzy on the "doctrine of election". I can not and will not fill in the blanks unless scripture supports it. God is clear He wants everyone to be saved and I will have to believe Him and trust He knows what is right and just.

Yes, indeed, my friend, He does want everyone to be saved. But you seem to be assuming that means that He will make or force everyone to be saved--and this, as you say, is not Biblicly supported, neither outright, or by implication.

1 John 1:9 just isn't all that fuzzy to me--nor the many other verses in the Bible like it. In fact, it seems rather clear that my salvation depends on me confessing my sins and freely accepting the gift of salvation

Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
No i want to know if you have confessed every sin in your life ?,.

The reason i ask is because if you haven't confessed ALL of your sins the same verse you quoted will condemn you(The verse not God).

Also i do not believe Jesus did or does see the world as sinners.

As the verse below says he saw them as sheep without a shepherd , that should give us a whole new perspective on how God sees the world (and us) that does not know Him . One that as compassion towards it seeing beyond their sin and seeing them as lost sheep who belong to the Good Shepherd.

Mark 6

34And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

Last edited by pcamps; 05-27-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No i want to know if you have confessed every sin in your life ?,.

The reason i ask is because if you haven't confessed ALL of your sins the same verse you quoted will condemn you.

Also i do not believe Jesus did or does see the world as sinners.

As the verse below says he saw them as sheep without a shepherd , that should give us a whole new perspective on how God sees the world (and us) that does not know Him . One that as compassion towards it seeing beyond their sin and seeing them as lost sheep who belong to the Good Shepherd.

Mark 6

34And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.
You're losing me--the verse says I must confess my sins (as do many in the Bible) but if I actually do that--I am condemning myself?

God has compassion on everyone--this does not mean everyone is saved. Or are you assuming to rub elbows with Hitler, Saddam, the man who cut open the vagina of an infant with a kitchen knife so he could rape her (she did not survive) who felt no remorse, and others like them, in Heaven? If that is the case, what does it matter what we do here on earth? Why does the Bible instruct us to spread the Word of God and teach others if what we do here has no bearing on our salvation?

We are saved by Grace, my friend, because we cannot save ourselves from it. Yet we are judged by our works, because our works will reflect whether or not we have accepted the gift of salvation.

Jonah 3:10--Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

John 10:37, 38--If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe me, but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”

Rev 20:12--And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

Those works do not save us, but they reflect our acceptance of salvation, which does save us.

James 2:14-26--What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcopswife View Post

Yes, indeed, my friend, He does want everyone to be saved. But you seem to be assuming that means that He will make or force everyone to be saved--and this, as you say, is not Biblicly supported, neither outright, or by implication.

1 John 1:9 just isn't all that fuzzy to me--nor the many other verses in the Bible like it. In fact, it seems rather clear that my salvation depends on me confessing my sins and freely accepting the gift of salvation
Oh...no...no. I am not saying that. Ask yourself this, how did you go from someone hating God to all of a sudden loving Him, how did you defy your own nature by yourself? the bible is clear, by nature we are children of wrath, we are of our father the devil, man is at enmity with God. God does not force us. Did your husband force you to love him? of course not, your husband became irresistible to you well so is God. He has made Himself irresistible to you, that is why we have gone against our own nature (of not wanting anything to do with God) to hungering for Him.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You're losing me--the verse says I must confess my sins (as do many in the Bible) but if I actually do that--I am condemning myself?

God has compassion on everyone--this does not mean everyone is saved. Or are you assuming to rub elbows with Hitler, Saddam, the man who cut open the vagina of an infant with a kitchen knife so he could rape her (she did not survive) who felt no remorse, and others like them, in Heaven? If that is the case, what does it matter what we do here on earth? Why does the Bible instruct us to spread the Word of God and teach others if what we do here has no bearing on our salvation?

We are saved by Grace, my friend, because we cannot save ourselves from it. Yet we are judged by our works, because our works will reflect whether or not we have accepted the gift of salvation.

Jonah 3:10--Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

John 10:37, 38--If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe me, but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”

Rev 20:12--And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

Those works do not save us, but they reflect our acceptance of salvation, which does save us.

James 2:14-26--What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
If you are saying unless you confess your sins you are not forgiven , i am saying to you if you have not confessed all your sins you also are not forgiven.That is why i asked you to think about it.

A quick example(true story) i have someone who owed me $4,000 , i have written it off , before i borrowed Him the money he was prone to using me .
He never asked me to cancel the debt , i wrote it off . Am i holding that debt against him no it was me who wrote it off .
In likewise that is what God did he wrote off our debt through the shed blood of His son Jesus so that we may enter into newness of life .

All will be saved according to the word of God .
Read through the eternal hell threads and and the universalism threads there are more than enough scriptures to prove it.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Oh...no...no. I am not saying that. Ask yourself this, how did you go from someone hating God to all of a sudden loving Him? the bible is clear, by nature we are children of wrath, we are of our father the devil, man is at enmity with God. God didn't force us. Did your husband force you to love him? of course not, your husband is irresistible to you well so is God. He has made Himself irresistible to you, that is why we have gone against our own nature (of not wanting anything of God) to hungering for Him.
Good analogy

However, my husband only became irresistible to me as I took the time to get to know him. Even then, I could have chosen not to marry him--had something interfered that I chose to love more.

While God presents Himself irresistible, we still sometimes find other things moreso--various worldly pleasures that people choose to distract themselves with. And again, someone must know God, and unless we spend time with Him, we cannot know him. Nothing we do not know is irresistible to us.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Good analogy

However, my husband only became irresistible to me as I took the time to get to know him. Even then, I could have chosen not to marry him--had something interfered that I chose to love more.

While God presents Himself irresistible, we still sometimes find other things moreso--various worldly pleasures that people choose to distract themselves with. And again, someone must know God, and unless we spend time with Him, we cannot know him. Nothing we do not know is irresistible to us.
Oh that we could see the world as God does Oh that we can see ourselves as God does Oh that we could see beyond the grave as God does
Oh that we could see and fully understand the parable of the lost sheep
Oh that we can see and understand that God is not holding sin against the sinner

Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If you are saying unless you confess your sins you are not forgiven , i am saying to you if you have not confessed all your sins you also are not forgiven.That is why i asked you to think about it.

A quick example(true story) i have someone who owed me $4,000 , i have written it off , before i borrowed Him the money he was prone to using me .
He never asked me to cancel the debt , i wrote it off . Am i holding that debt against him no it was me who wrote it off .
In likewise that is what God did he wrote off our debt through the shed blood of His son Jesus so that we may enter into newness of life .

All will be saved according to the word of God .
Read through the eternal hell threads and and the universalism threads there are more than enough scriptures to prove it.
This fails to explain why we are asked to then confess our sins, to follow God's law, to overcome, to endure to the end, etc. I don't understand the point? Why? If we're all automatically saved anyway, then what's the point? And why is He delaying in His return? There's no need to wait if we're all going anyway, is there?

I believe the blood of Christ gives us the opportunity to be saved--but the Bible is clear we must accept the gift. Too much scripture must be ignored for me to believe otherwise.

And to answer your question--I ask for forgiveness of sins daily.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM

In addition to the marriage analogy

If it is not chosen freely, do we still call it love?

For those who relentlessly preform evil deeds without remorse or confession, who are apparantly going to Heaven with the rest of us, simply forced to accept and love God when we get there?

If it is forced . . . do we still call it love?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Joshua 24:15--And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

There does seem to be a choice of whom we serve--but we go to Heaven regardless of the choice we make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity