U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM

284 posts, read 248,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcopswife View Post
That's a very good point of view. I get so frustrated sometimes, I can show somebody something in black and white--I can even explain where their beliefs originated, but they wont' except it. In my heart, I know it is hard for people to accept something totally foreign and new--sometimes I'm not very good at this sometimes because I get so emotionally involved that I can't step back and make myself sound reasonable.
Lol.. I will say that it is good that you get the chance to show people in black and white usually don't even get that far. There is alot of people these day's that want to be heard but don't want to listen. I thank God for my wife every day just when I think the world has gone totally mad she gives me hope!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:02 PM

6,950 posts, read 7,367,362 times
If you're aiming at Universalists (who are often confused with Unitarians), I understand; but those that see the restoration of all things in His word are those who seem to see the Lord "higher and more lifted up" than others.

They believe to wit:

Jesus really is Lord of all

Satan really is defeated

God really does love the world

His arm really isn't shortened that it cannot save

Where sin abounds, grace much more abounds

He really will make all things new

As IW correctly pointed out, the carnal mind can't grasp the things of God. Question: if Joe Blow picked up the bible and read it, would he see hell or restoration?

P.S. Neither to Adam nor to Eve was there one word of comfort spoken. The only hint of such a thing was given in the act of cursing the serpent. The curse involved the blessing.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM

96 posts, read 100,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus said he was the truth . If you want to know what truth is just look at Jesus .

The word of God is truth . Jesus is the word of God.

I couldn't agree more!

There are 3 standards of Truth in the Bible--

The Law of God--The 10 Commandments

Psalm 119:142--Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,And Your law is truth.

The Word of God

Psalm 119:160--The entirety of Your word is truth,And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.

God is Truth

1 John 5:6--This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM

19,413 posts, read 9,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If you're aiming at Universalists (who are often confused with Unitarians), I understand; but those that see the restoration of all things in His word are those who seem to see the Lord "higher and more lifted up" than others.

They believe to wit:

Satan really is defeated

As IW correctly pointed out, the carnal mind can't grasp the things of God. Question: if Joe Blow picked up the bible and read it, would he see hell or restoration?

P.S. Neither to Adam nor to Eve was there one word of comfort spoken. The only hint of such a thing was given in the act of cursing the serpent. The curse involved the blessing.
And He is the lamb of God who as taken away the sins of the whole world

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

They believe to wit:

Satan really is defeated

Well said!

But was not the cursing of the serpent the very hope they needed? The very first prophecy in the Bible predicted the death of Jesus to save the world. The sacrifice of animals began with Adam and Eve--they knew the purpose of the sacrifice and witnessed the results of their sin--and did this in looking forward to the sacrifice and salvation of Christ. Now we, look back on it as it is, too, our salvation

As far as what the carnal mind will grasp--you guys are right...we cannot grasp anything. Only with the guidance of the Holy Spirit can we understand the Truths of God. And even then, God gives us what He has readied us for...nobody gets everything at once. It is that fact that I need to be careful to recognize when sharing with others...and be willing to recognize in myself that I don't know it all

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,821,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus said he was the truth . If you want to know what truth is just look at Jesus .

The word of God is truth . Jesus is the word of God.

John 1

The Word Became Flesh

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[a] it.
Well true but the problem is which Jesus? Michael the arch angel.... Joe Smith etc.....?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

6,950 posts, read 7,367,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well true but the problem is which Jesus? Michael the arch angel.... Joe Smith etc.....? The truth is God's word. What Jesus says is God's word. You would not know what Jesus said, if you didn't have scripture?
Revelation 19:13

His name is called the Word of God.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM

284 posts, read 248,739 times
So proudcopwife are u a universalist and that it is the part where people don't agree with you even when you show it in black and white? And the whole tradition vs truth deal.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM

19,413 posts, read 9,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well true but the problem is which Jesus? Michael the arch angel.... Joe Smith etc.....? The truth is God's word. What Jesus says is God's word. You would not know what Jesus said, if you didn't have scripture?
In the same way Jesus answered Peter and said you are the Christ ;

Jesus replied flesh and blood as not revealed this to you but the Old Testament scriptures???? , of cause not but my Father in Heaven.

The written word just confirms who He is .

He is the Great I am who as spoken to man through the ages , independent of the scriptures.

3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Knowing Jesus is about an intimate relationship which bears all that He is as we walk with Him.

If there was never a bible ever written i still believe he could reveal Himself to us .

Didn't he reveal himself and speak to Paul on is way to Damascus ?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
So proudcopwife are u a universalist and that it is the part where people don't agree with you even when you show it in black and white? And the whole tradition vs truth deal.
I'll be honest . . . I'm not even familiar with the term "Universalist."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity