Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,659,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Hoosier you make a good point, Ptsum...you don't.

If anyone thinks that the disappearance of evangelical/fundmental Christianity is a good thing, then I guess you think that the end of days is a good thing also because that's what is happening. The falling away is taking place right now, and silencing of Christians like us is detrimental to all of society. Don't believe me? Then watch and see what happens. I think I hear rumblings in California.
LOL..... Glad I moved out of California.....!!

Yes, I agree with you Ilene! We are in the last days and are seeing the great apostasy, Christ warned us about!

Blessings

Last edited by june 7th; 05-27-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,780,872 times
Default The 'church' is in decline and will fall...

This will be accomplished in two ways, working together:

Churches on the road to self ruination. They are filled with hypocrites who won't admit to being hypocrites. They will point their finger at others, but forget about themselves. They worry about the splinter in their friend's eye, all the while ignoring the plank in their own. They may ultimately have good intentions but not realize how they come across towards unbelievers. They forget to be salt and light and have heaped upon themselves filthy rags of self-righteousness and piety. They are no longer strong yet humble. They have become of the world instead of set apart from it. Woe to those who fall into this category. It's not all, but they are growing in ranks.

They'll be dismantled from without by the unbelieving and the lukewarm believers. Those who don't fit or belong in the first category will be demonized for their convictions, for their unwavering faith in Jesus and His word (bible). They will be 'attacked' as closed-minded, bigoted, racist, homophobic and intolerant. It's happening already today and will only get worse. Everyone is tolerant of everyone else's belief system, but not that of a professing Christian who actually holds to the Truth. They will be ostracized by the compromisers and nonbelivers. They will be persecuted and scorned. The freedoms these Christians have enjoyed for the past 200 years will be gone and it will be a return to (and in some countries a continuation of) secret meetings.

Some may think I over-exaggerate. Some may think I didn't go far enough. But from my own experiences and my own personal observations of what's happening and the reactions to what could be considered "moderate evangelicalism" -- where it's not forced, but it is spoken; where it is taught what is Truth and not based on what feels right but God's Word -- I think it's going to happen.

disclaimer: I do not mean to lump all nonbelievers into the same category described above. Those with the live and let live attitude probably are not part of the group just waiting to pounce and dismantle every last vestige of religion anywhere. There are some who are, though, but it's not all nonbelievers.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,659,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
This will be accomplished in two ways, working together:

Churches on the road to self ruination. They are filled with hypocrites who won't admit to being hypocrites. They will point their finger at others, but forget about themselves. They worry about the splinter in their friend's eye, all the while ignoring the plank in their own. They may ultimately have good intentions but not realize how they come across towards unbelievers. They forget to be salt and light and have heaped upon themselves filthy rags of self-righteousness and piety. They are no longer strong yet humble. They have become of the world instead of set apart from it. Woe to those who fall into this category. It's not all, but they are growing in ranks.

They'll be dismantled from without by the unbelieving and the lukewarm believers. Those who don't fit or belong in the first category will be demonized for their convictions, for their unwavering faith in Jesus and His word (bible). They will be 'attacked' as closed-minded, bigoted, racist, homophobic and intolerant. It's happening already today and will only get worse. Everyone is tolerant of everyone else's belief system, but not that of a professing Christian who actually holds to the Truth. They will be ostracized by the compromisers and nonbelivers. They will be persecuted and scorned. The freedoms these Christians have enjoyed for the past 200 years will be gone and it will be a return to (and in some countries a continuation of) secret meetings.

Some may think I over-exaggerate. Some may think I didn't go far enough. But from my own experiences and my own personal observations of what's happening and the reactions to what could be considered "moderate evangelicalism" -- where it's not forced, but it is spoken; where it is taught what is Truth and not based on what feels right but God's Word -- I think it's going to happen.

disclaimer: I do not mean to lump all nonbelievers into the same category described above. Those with the live and let live attitude probably are not part of the group just waiting to pounce and dismantle every last vestige of religion anywhere. There are some who are, though, but it's not all nonbelievers.
Totally agree with you...mams!
Great post!

Blessings

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 PM

8,109 posts, read 6,851,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
It is an interesting read of someone's opinion Personally, I see more people becoming upset and leaving the organized religions and the pomp and circumstance of the Sunday worship service and all the money that is involved in their buildings and contents..More and more seem to be seeking the Church without the entertainment that is meant to draw the crowds and the money in..Too much time is spent on the luxuries and wealth of the world and not enough on allowing Christ to be the focus of worship service..So I believe people are leaving not because they are losing their faith, but because their faith is strong and they are seeking a more "Christ centered" worship service..

Good discussion subject Hoosier
Amen, Miss Blue.

Personally, I think so many people yearn for "the end" because they don't know how to deal with today. They just want it to be all over, lickety quick without having to go through the fire of having their heart changed over to what it needs to be in order to truly love others (and the rest of CREATION) the way our Father loves us. I truly think that is one reason why SOME folks see "the end" in everything they see. They see the "mark of the beast" in everything, they see the "antichrist" everywhere, they see the "end" EVERYWHERE. I think we need to be looking WITHIN our hearts to see what God is doing THERE.

That's where we need to be looking... not for the end of the world, but for the START of the NEW MAN, be looking for God to take us through His refining fire, that which is preparing us...FOR the new earth and the new heaven. The "end" starts with you... God will bring you to the END of yourself so that he may enlargen your heart.

"Behold! I make all things new.." AMEN, FATHER!!!!
Indeed.

Well, just a thought.
and yes, this world will end.
This world is finite.
But there ARE other ways of seeing things.
God is multi-faceted, y'know...

peace.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddythreepointoh View Post
I myself have been raised as such and around the Evangelical crowd my whole life, and even I don't think the percentage is anywhere near that high...
I think the bible belt makes up for the lower percentages elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
But there ARE other ways of seeing things.
God is multi-faceted, y'know...

peace.
And so are you sparrow - y'know...

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

Hoosier you make a good point, Ptsum...you don't.

If anyone thinks that the disappearance of evangelical/fundmental Christianity is a good thing, then I guess you think that the end of days is a good thing also because that's what is happening.
And why wouldn't the "end of days" be a good thing?

Ptsum - you make a great point.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,625,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I see in the future that there will be many people who will say they are Christians but will not believe the way their sacred book tells them they should, there will come a time when there will be a new kind of Christianity, the kind that is more tolerant of other religions and beliefs not the hell and damnation kind, that will be a thing of the past.
PT, the sacred book has been telling the same thing ever since the first century.

It's been politically twisted in countless ways, yet the scriptures in their actual form don't stand to lose any sheen or intended meaning across the millennia.

Also, christianity has been the same. The christians have been changing. Christianity will still be the same, even if it's completely deserted.

Tolerance is more with political correctness. Today people are more concerned about offending other folks. That is all. Conversely offending the Bible is convenient, God's not gonna send sulphur down immediately.

The first commandment of the Bible dismisses other religions. However much modern and liberal christians sugarcoat this one, it's out there in black and white, that God in his omniscience commands unstinted and more than consummate loyalty.

Now everyone can jump on me and say I'm being offensive, but this was exactly what Moses did with the tablets, the Israelites and the golden calf. I always ask liberal christians if they appreciate the act of Moses. If he should have displayed tolerance and gone his own way to preserve the tablets. If Moses is the fundamentalist who is scorned in the media. If Moses will have been considered offensive to the Philistines and the numerous enemies of Israel. And frankly, they go into a moody reflection. They do not have an answer.

If hurling the tablet at the Israelities is considered offensive and intolerant in this age, then I'll glady take the title of a religious bigot

And one such age clearly warrants and deserves the decay of Christians. Christians and not Christianity.

Disclaimer: We can still shake hands, chat at starbucks and live on earth peacefully. This is what I personally consider as tolerance between the two of us and others. I'm not gonna pick my lance, gallop my steed and threaten my neighbour into catholicism

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 05-27-2009 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Added colour

Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,479 times
"Evangelicals have identified their movement with the culture war and with political conservatism. This will prove to be a very costly mistake."

The author could have used those two sentences to make his entire point.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,226,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

It's been politically twisted in countless ways, yet the scriptures in their actual form don't stand to lose any sheen or intended meaning across the millennia.

Christianity has been the same. The christians have been changing. Christianity will still be the same, even if it's completely deserted.

First: June agrees with the above ^ points. Second, she once again can't help but think of the word "zeitgeist."

She also can't help but think back in time, as history tells us alot. Christianity survived the late '60s, during which time there was a myriad of influences; an onslaught of alternative ways of looking at reality, and perhaps the most time driven introduction to and acceptance of alternative religions and lifestyles. --Christianity somehow managed to survive a time far more 'secular' than the one we are in now, far more divisive than the one we are in now, and far more turbulent (as in personally confusing) than the one we are in now. Systems change. Cultural shifts occur within the overall scheme of things.

What is both confusing to June, and somewhat challenging to the article and the posts in this thread is the fact that she has always heard that the gospel is a "living gospel." --As such, she suspects that if in fact your gospel is a living and transformative one, it shall survive whatever changes a society and culture undergo.

Zeitgeist.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity