Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM

419 posts, read 868,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well isn't this thread majorly quiet?!! I wonder why many people haven't bothered to comment?!! Atheist are always the main people running to threads like this. Ah I see. When it's Christians who are attacked, nobody is crying "Intolerance! Bigotry!". When it's anyone else, all hell breaks loose. Amazing.
Well, given that this incident occurred more than a year ago and it looks like no lawsuit was filed, there had to be more to the story than just the nurse making a religious comment. If the Christian Legal Centre didn't take on this guy's case, then it appears that he was justifiably dismissed because of several incidents (like the hospital spokesperson stated). At least, that's my take on the situation. If you can find out more, you're welcome to post it. I'd be interested.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Earlier this year community nurse Caroline Petrie was suspended for an alleged breach of the NMC code of conduct on equality and diversity by offering to say a prayer for a patient in Somerset.

... it was revealed how phlebotomist Helen Slatter, a Catholic, has been ordered to remove her crucifix necklace by her bosses at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital because it could harbour and spread infections.
too bad.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Well isn't this thread majorly quiet?!! I wonder why many people haven't bothered to comment?!! Atheist are always the main people running to threads like this. Ah I see. When it's Christians who are attacked, nobody is crying "Intolerance! Bigotry!". When it's anyone else, all hell breaks loose. Amazing.
I think the thing is - the person wasn't fired for their beliefs. They were fired for trying to impose their beliefs on the patients. If an atheist told a Christian patient - "Stop praying for God to make you better. There is no God." - I think that would be equally reprehensible.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think the thing is - the person wasn't fired for their beliefs. They were fired for trying to impose their beliefs on the patients. If an atheist told a Christian patient - "Stop praying for God to make you better. There is no God." - I think that would be equally reprehensible.
No it wouldn't because they wouldn't be fired. No one would report them for doing that because that's just stupid. They would just continue to pray as if they didn't hear them at all. How many times have I heard from Atheist 'There is no God." ALOT but it's not like I care. I go on with my life praying to God as usual as if I didn't hear anything. I don't go reporting anyone for that. The person just reported the Christian because they were Christian. We're living in a world that hates God and that is why we are persecuted. Nobody cares. When it's gays or lesbians, all I hear is yap yap yap, intolerance and bigotry. But it's Christians, throw it under the rug because it isn't important. The recent news about Christians being murdered in Egypt drew alot of attention. But not for sympathy for the Christians. All I read from more than 2,000 comments were about Muslims and how they are not the religion of peace they say. Are you freaking kidding me? What about the dead Christian victims but your steady focusing on the muslims? So it's all a coincidence that no one has anything to say about the Christian persecution? Mmm-hmm. Because your not bashing them, what is there to say about them, that you are sad for them? Poor Christians? Right. So much for that tolerance. Some people will be eating their words the day of the Lord. Glad I won't be around to witness it. BTW, this was not directed towards you but towards those literal people I'm talking about.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
No it wouldn't because they wouldn't be fired. No one would report them for doing that because that's just stupid. They would just continue to pray as if they didn't hear them at all. How many times have I heard from Atheist 'There is no God." ALOT but it's not like I care. I go on with my life praying to God as usual as if I didn't hear anything. I don't go reporting anyone for that. The person just reported the Christian because they were Christian. We're living in a world that hates God and that is why we are persecuted. Nobody cares. When it's gays or lesbians, all I hear is yap yap yap, intolerance and bigotry. But it's Christians, throw it under the rug because it isn't important. The recent news about Christians being murdered in Egypt drew alot of attention. But not for sympathy for the Christians. All I read from more than 2,000 comments were about Muslims and how they are not the religion of peace they say. Are you freaking kidding me? What about the dead Christian victims but your steady focusing on the muslims? So it's all a coincidence that no one has anything to say about the Christian persecution? Mmm-hmm. Because your not bashing them, what is there to say about them, that you are sad for them? Poor Christians? Right. So much for that tolerance. Some people will be eating their words the day of the Lord. Glad I won't be around to witness it. BTW, this was not directed towards you but towards those literal people I'm talking about.
allen893 they would fire the atheist as well if they behaved in such a manner in such a setting.
you are welcomed to try to carry the blood stained banner but prepared to defend it and all that it entails (history).

Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
i'am witness to the fact church can be stressful and a source of pain. i certainly would not want anyone prescribing it per se to a captured audience, especially one that is located in a hospital bed.

Tell me about it...having a mother who constantly remind me I'm going to hell because I don't go to her church...-

Quote:
After reading the whole article - it sounds like this incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. And as someone who isn't religious - if I had a heart condition and I was told to go to church by my nurse, I'd probably be pretty upset. I don't necessarily think this alone would be a reason to fire someone - but it this type of behavior had been an ongoing problem with this nurse (which it sounds like it was) - I can see why this might be the last straw. I count on my doctors and nurses to give me medical advice. If I want spiritual advice - I'll go to someone in the spiritual business.
I agree with your assessment Dewdrop...

Quote:
Christians are not attacked here allen...it's about injecting a personal belief handed down as fact..."infringement of one's right..."

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Well, as a hospice nurse, any and every opportunity that presents itself, I'm praying and asking God's forgiveness on behalf of anyone that comes under my care. I've never had one refuse prayer yet! And, believe me you, when it's all said and done, and YOU (towhomthismayconcern....) are at deaths door, I pray that all's well with YOUR soul!.......................................FINAL ANSWER!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Well, as a hospice nurse, any and every opportunity that presents itself, I'm praying and asking God's forgiveness on behalf of anyone that comes under my care. I've never had one refuse prayer yet! And, believe me you, when it's all said and done, and YOU (towhomthismayconcern....) are at deaths door, I pray that all's well with YOUR soul!.......................................FINAL ANSWER!
Betsey - I have no problem with someone praying for me, although I don't necessarily want to hear about it unbidden. But I do have a problem with my nurse or doctor telling me that I should go to church. It's just not their place. If I bring up religion - then that's fine. But otherwise - I expect my caregivers to respect my beliefs and concentrate on trying to help me healthwise. To me - it's just about respect and professionalism.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Betsey - I have no problem with someone praying for me, although I don't necessarily want to hear about it unbidden. But I do have a problem with my nurse or doctor telling me that I should go to church. It's just not their place. If I bring up religion - then that's fine. But otherwise - I expect my caregivers to respect my beliefs and concentrate on trying to help me healthwise. To me - it's just about respect and professionalism.
You see all that you believe? Girl let me tell you something....when you are on your deathbed, NONE of that matters, NONE of what you think is important matters, (I've seen it so many times) except making peace with your Maker! Believe that!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You see all that you believe? Girl let me tell you something....when you are on your deathbed, NONE of that matters, NONE of what you think is important matters, (I've seen it so many times) except making peace with your Maker! Believe that!

Betsey, what would happen to 99.9% of these people who had deathbed conversions if they got well, hopped out of bed, and went home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity