Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,415,937 times

Advertisements

Full article here:Nurse Fired for Religious Beliefs - Nursing Link

I thought as nurse we deal with the WHOLE person, mind, body and soul? I think he should seek legal counsel, after all, he was asked "his opinion" during a role play. Unbelievable.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,850,315 times
I am nonreligious and believe that nobody should be fired for religious beliefs or lack thereof. This is unfortunate news.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,916,639 times
I do not believe this is a case of a simple issue over personal religious belief because of this paragraph in the article.

Quote:
A nurse has been sacked after suggesting during a role play session on a training course that a ‘patient’ could go to church to relieve stress.
I frankly would not want this nurse caring for anyone I know, nor myself. It can be demonstrated that going to church can add stress, so it is a lame "diagnosis" because there was no proper method medically to demonstrate the viability for such a treatment.

THAT is why she was sacked.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

I thought as nurse we deal with the WHOLE person, mind, body and soul? I think he should seek legal counsel, after all, he was asked "his opinion" during a role play. Unbelievable.
No Betsey, unless the person is a practicing Christian one does not have the right to put forward his beliefs in a medical arena.

Those of us who are not Christian do not want Christian medical personal to take on themselves our souls in a medical care facility.

If I am in a hospital and I want religious support I will ask for it.

There are boundaries that medical personal need to respect and ones belief or non belief is a definite boundary.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,989,321 times
Quote:

it wasn't quite role play, Betsey.

anyway there are religious health institutions available where one is free to carry-on with his type of mind-set... to a point.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,989,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I do not believe this is a case of a simple issue over personal religious belief because of this paragraph in the article.

I frankly would not want this nurse caring for anyone I know, nor myself. It can be demonstrated that going to church can add stress, so it is a lame "diagnosis"
i'am witness to the fact church can be stressful and a source of pain. i certainly would not want anyone prescribing it per se to a captured audience, especially one that is located in a hospital bed.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,088,385 times
After reading the whole article - it sounds like this incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. And as someone who isn't religious - if I had a heart condition and I was told to go to church by my nurse, I'd probably be pretty upset. I don't necessarily think this alone would be a reason to fire someone - but it this type of behavior had been an ongoing problem with this nurse (which it sounds like it was) - I can see why this might be the last straw. I count on my doctors and nurses to give me medical advice. If I want spiritual advice - I'll go to someone in the spiritual business.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM

419 posts, read 866,513 times
Quote:
I thought as nurse we deal with the WHOLE person, mind, body and soul?
Really? When I think of what I want in a nurse, it's professional medical care. If I want a priest, then I'd be in church.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,557,259 times
Well isn't this thread majorly quiet?!! I wonder why many people haven't bothered to comment?!! Atheist are always the main people running to threads like this. Ah I see. When it's Christians who are attacked, nobody is crying "Intolerance! Bigotry!". When it's anyone else, all hell breaks loose. Amazing.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well isn't this thread majorly quiet?!! I wonder why many people haven't bothered to comment?!! Atheist are always the main people running to threads like this. Ah I see. When it's Christians who are attacked, nobody is crying "Intolerance! Bigotry!". When it's anyone else, all hell breaks loose. Amazing.

It is not bigotry. Religion is personal and medical employees have no business in a medical setting giving religious advice.... Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity