Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

the same as having faith in our Wonderful loving Saviour ?.

What if your belief in the word is just mans traditions and doctrines brought about by mistranslations of the bible ,what is he left with?

He is my Rock , who is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Before you start saying i am belittling the word , i am not , i read my bible daily.

8Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish (refuse, dregs), in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I believe that our union with Him is a life that is fed by His spirit (duh!) and the Bible is used as bread. But the book alone is not where our source is; He is the living God, not the book. He injects life into our reading, but apart from Him it's dead.

I think you can understand what I'm saying, as I'm half asleep.

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: (but) they are they which testify of Me. (John 5:39)

Last edited by little elmer; 05-30-2009 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: forgot

Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Amen, Jesus is the Word made flesh. God bless.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
the same as having faith in our Wonderful loving Saviour ?.

What if your belief in the word is just mans traditions and doctrines brought about by mistranslations of the bible ,what is he left with?

He is my Rock , who is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Before you start saying i am belittling the word , i am not , i read my bible daily.

8Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish (refuse, dregs), in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One),
Then why the thread? Very simple Pcamps if the bible is a fake then Christianity is a farce.

Prove me wrong Pcamps: Without the bible how can you prove God, Jehovah, God the Father is the true, one and only God? and not Buddha, Allah etc.......

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-30-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Prove me wrong Pcamps: Without the bible how can you prove God, Jehovah, God the Father is the true, one and only God? and not Buddha, Allah etc.......
Because even without the written word (and thank God we have it in this country...for now) He is still the Deliverer He was to His people in Egypt? The same sovereign Promiser He was to Abraham? The passover Lamb He was in Exodus?

The High Priest He was in Leviticus?

The Fire by night in Numbers?

etc. etc.

They would've loved King James though, even if they couldn't read it.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:10 PM

The same way Abraham did The father of faith

Old 05-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Because even without the written word (and thank God we have it in this country...for now) He is still the Deliverer He was to His people in Egypt? The same sovereign Promiser He was to Abraham? The passover Lamb He was in Exodus?

The High Priest He was in Leviticus?

The Fire by night in Numbers?

etc. etc.

They would've loved King James though, even if they couldn't read it.
Your answer really didn't tell me anything. The written word has always been here. How do you prove the validity of His word to others without His words?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-30-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Your answer really didn't tell me anything. The written word has always been here. How do you prove the validity of His word to others without His words?
How did Peter know Jesus was the Christ ?

Please don't tell me because He was standing right there before Him or He whipped out a copy of the OT

How did Simeon know the boy Jesus was the Christ ?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Please don't tell me because He was standing right there before Him or He whipped out a copy of the OT

That doesn't answer my question. Jesus will not be physically standing next to you when you are witnessing to an atheist. Ever heard faith comes by hearing? so what is the person hearing?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:46 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:

Peter grew up with the Torah, the one Jesus as a child read to the elders and they were astonished in what He was doing.... I'm sure your familiar with the teaching.....

The Torah and two other large sections make up the Tanakh.
Directly following the Torah are the books of the prophets consisting of eight books and covering the seven major prophets and the twelve minor prophets. After the books of the prophets are the writings, consisting of eleven books, from Psalms to Chronicles.

Peter and all the other's knew the prophesy and teachings of the their coming Messiah. And of course the Holy Spirit is the one whom opened their hearts to the witness of who Christ was, in what they had been taught.

Blessings

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 05-30-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity