Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

I wonder why there are those who consider it not an option to judge ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?
Yes, we are to judge but only by righteous Judgement. Consider this:

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Notice it says Judge not but then goes on to say to cast the mote out of they brother's eye. What this is showing us is that we ARE to judge but ONLY using RIGHTEOUS Judgement.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
We only judge because we do not trust that God is able to do in the lifes of those we are judging what He has done in our very own lives .

Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Good points. Some more questions.

If one judges righteously, then what measure will he be judged with?

If I judge someone for stealing but do not steal myself, what beam do I have to remove from my eye?

If I am to discern good from evil, how am I not to judge?

If I am to beware of false prophets and false teachers, how am I not to judge?

If I am to discern the fruit of a tree, how am I not to judge?

If I am to rebuke a brother who sins, or if several of us are to rebuke an elder for sinning, how am I not to judge?

If I am to judge the angels in the next life, can I not judge the minor things of this life?

Am I not to judge those inside the church?

If I am to judge the world, am I not able to judge trivial matters?

Aren't even men of little account in the church worthy of being appointed judges?
And isn't discernment a form of judging?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We only judge because we do not trust that God is able to do in the lifes of those we are judging what He has done in our very own lives .
Agreed. Perhaps the problem is that there has been nothing done, in that particular person's life? And so, they may not be familiar with the miraculous ability of the Lord, to transform a person...

No, it isn't scriptural to judge.

IMHO, the main reason we are not to judge, is because we do not have the information needed to do so.

If you see a man steal groceries, would you immediately label him as a thief? How do you know or not, whether he might have hungry children at home?

If you see a prostitute, do you judge her as a *****? How do you know that she even has a home, she could be living at an abused women's shelter - how do you know if she may be selling her body to buy her children food and/or medicine? We don't know what is going on in anyone else's life.

We don't know how they were raised, or even IF they were raised, or taught anything. We do not have the knowledge. In order to judge, a person has to have the information needed, to make a just decision and, as human beings, we do not have that information.

Only the Lord does.

And THAT, my friends, is why He, and He alone, does the judging!

(Side note: why would anyone even WANT to judge others - as human beings, we have our own sin natures to deal with. I'm kept busy with my own self, trying to be better, trying to help others ---- why would you want to judge someone else????) I just don't get it.....and I'm GLAD I don't!

“Discernment is God's call to intercession, never to faultfinding.”

- Corrie Ten Boom

Last edited by Sundance; 09-08-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,097 times
you should read the Bible and judge the good and evil in there so this behavior of judging is satisfied in that manner and not in your daily life I suppose, you judge actions as right or wrong, not the person

Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?

To what end are you judging their actions? Are you deciding for yourself their standing with God? Or simply looking at the facts surrounding someones behavior?

Just the subject of drinking, a casual drinker that just has a few on the weekends at home would be judged by some as displeasing God, when in reality it doesn't register on the scale of doing anything wrong. but a drunk driver, don't need God to figure out the probloem there.

Will I judge a drunk driver as doing something wrong, yep, certainly and if they get caught they should suffer the consequenses. But for me to say they are unsaved, or going to hell, or Gods gonna smack them down, not my call, not your call.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:24 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,097 times
yea I agree

Old 10-23-2009, 08:25 AM

16 posts, read 19,205 times
Default judgment of a heart

I am looking for scriptures which will direct clarity as to when and how judgments are to be done and here in the forum there is nothing new or clarifying on this subject. It seems clear we can judge actions, but this supposes we have no "beam" in our own eye, otherwise we might/would judge in error - this seems to be the point of that story. We are left to wonder, can anyone make this assessment but God?? Can any of us truly say we have nothing clouding our own view to Truth?? The obvious answer is a resounding NO, even to the most devout, renowned Christian. We see what we see, but how often do we judge without full info?? None of us all-knowing, so I'll just say that from that scripture I feel a strong admonishment not to judge at all, period. Anything less puts us very close to the territory of being God (all knowing and seeing) and thus reeks of Arrogance/Pride (which comes before the fall). We are human. No one is perfectly clear, or if they are it is because they remain humble always and in not thinking so highly of their own ideas and assessments, they defer to the Voice Of God within them. This leaves me with looking at those who seem extremely humble in their walk and these are the folks who judge less than anyone. They are also more like Jesus, walking in his word, than most others toting a bible and spouting off their great knowledge and profound understanding. . . . . . .PS. What occurs to me is this: In life we MUST make judgments and assessments to move forward in our lives. This is evident and unarguable. We must discern who is "swine" and who not, or try. If we give our pearls and they are trampled, we might assume the person is swine when really we had no pearls, but only slop. You see?? Who is right?? What I think is that there is only one way to walk with God, in very careful and GENTLE judgment - with God, not as God (which means we don't have the final say on any person or subject, otherwise the bible would be elementary in it's clarity. And I think this, if we have pearls and God's love in us, we will lay pearls down like precious stones, with great care and gentility, and if they are trampled? Well, perhaps they were not as pearly as we supposed. Or perhaps this person is swine. This is a matter, from this point on, between God and me, and God and them. And from there I let it go and let God do his job, and I get back to mine (the gentle humble walk of a child). . . . we may make judgments, as we feel we must, but don't assume we are right, or that will be the final word. If we hold dearly to our earthly judgments, wo be unto us at the end when we meet God and He sits on high, we at his feet, while he surgically removes one beam after another and leave us to go back and make repairs of all those we have judged in error and pride. . . . There but for the grace of God. . . go we all.

Blessings all.

Last edited by rubywilds; 10-23-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: did not finish

Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Yes, we are to judge but only by righteous Judgement. Consider this:

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Notice it says Judge not but then goes on to say to cast the mote out of they brother's eye. What this is showing us is that we ARE to judge but ONLY using RIGHTEOUS Judgement.
And who here can claim to be 100% righteous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity