Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The fact is Catholics and protestants are not the same. Therefore we can't both be right.
BUT wait fundie! Protestants can't agree with each either! From actual salvation, to baptism, to sin and so on! All denominations have their own ideas of what is right and what is wrong....what each scripture means etc...I'm NOT a catholic supporter or anything...just making an observation of the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
BUT wait fundie! Protestants can't agree with each either! From actual salvation, to baptism, to sin and so on! All denominations have their own ideas of what is right and what is wrong....what each scripture means etc...I'm NOT a catholic supporter or anything...just making an observation of the obvious.
We agree on the essentials pertaining to salvation. Catholics and Protestants don't which was what brought about the protestant reformation.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Thank you for providing us another example of a church that declares they are the one true church and that unless you use their formula (non-biblical at that) you are false.

There are all sorts of examples of folks like that...the catholic church and UPC being but two of them.
Most of you know I have a lot of hard feelings about this church, but one of the things that drove me nuts was the fact they called other churches (ALL other churches) false ones. One evangelist came in and used to be a baptist minister...well he had a dream that god told him "his robe was not clean..." well he interpreted that as he was baptized the wrong way. They say if you don't invoke the name of Jesus at baptism that it was pointless...doesn't matter what was in the heart of the person! And you HAD to believe in the oness doctrine NOT the trinity.....(neither one makes sense to me). Look them up online....interesting stuff.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Most of you know I have a lot of hard feelings about this church, but one of the things that drove me nuts was the fact they called other churches (ALL other churches) false ones. One evangelist came in and used to be a baptist minister...well he had a dream that god told him "his robe was not clean..." well he interpreted that as he was baptized the wrong way. They say if you don't invoke the name of Jesus at baptism that it was pointless...doesn't matter what was in the heart of the person! And you HAD to believe in the oness doctrine NOT the trinity.....(neither one makes sense to me). Look them up online....interesting stuff.
There is much in the bible that doesn't make sense to us in our fallen state. "heart" (Jeremiah 17:9) 9"The heart is more deceitful than all else
And is desperately sick;Who can understand it?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
I may be a little off base here, but Catholicism appears to be a very watered down version of true Christianity. It seems to have all sorts of idolatry of statues, there are huge hierarchies within the church, and a Pope, who seems to be a really nice guy, but nothing special. This faith really seems to knock heads with the 'word' its supposed to be teaching. However, I could be totally wrong, so I would like some input on why Catholicism is a legitimate form of Christianity and how it does/ or does not go against Christian Theology?
im guessing your an evangelical and your minister is saying that catholics will burn in hell or something lol. We are the original Christians, non-Catholics are actually the watered down ones.

Catholic churches are so extravagant because they were supposed to honour God, so kings and people donated lots of money to build wonderful churches. There are statues of Mary because Catholics honour her for giving birth to Jesus and supporting Him. I also read that many other pagan religions had pictures with mothers and babies, so missionaries would show the similarites in a way to help convert people to Christianity.

The pope is not worshipped as God, he is there to keep order with the church and to give his opinion on issues, thinking the way he thinks God would think.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
All the Apostles were given the same marching orders at Pentecost. They kept in contact with each other by letter and occasionally by a visit. But the time and distance made it hard to travel often. So letters were really how thing stayed glued together.
I agree.

Quote:
Peter was clearly the made the head of Jesus's Church by Jesus himself.
Wrong. Christ remains the head of His Church. Peter, like the other Apostles, remained under Christ. Peter had a leadership role amongst the Apostles but none of them "reported" to Peter; Peter had no authority over them. A good example is the captain of a football team. Everyone on a football team reports to and answers to the coach; the captain's role is to provide leadership as a peer, not as a superior.

Quote:
Rome was Christianity central and home of Peter, the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Christ. All others provinces were ultimately governed by Rome as the Early Church writings proclaim. If you decided not to follow, then you were a heretic. Many times the separation was not doctrinal in nature, but rather political and overtime separated in doctrine.
Rome was not "Christianity central", it was empire central, politics central. Armenia was a separate nation and was Christian before Rome. Still, I would never claim some form of preeminence or authority over all Christians because our nation was the first Christian nation.

But, if non-Catholics are all heretics, then why does the Pope of the Roman Catholic Pope welcome heretics as fellow Christians and issue joint declarations with these heretics and pray with these heretics? Why does the Roman Catholic Church accept baptisms performed by heretics?

You're just speaking out your rear end.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
im guessing your an evangelical and your minister is saying that catholics will burn in hell or something lol. We are the original Christians, non-Catholics are actually the watered down ones.

Catholic churches are so extravagant because they were supposed to honour God, so kings and people donated lots of money to build wonderful churches. There are statues of Mary because Catholics honour her for giving birth to Jesus and supporting Him. I also read that many other pagan religions had pictures with mothers and babies, so missionaries would show the similarites in a way to help convert people to Christianity.

The pope is not worshipped as God, he is there to keep order with the church and to give his opinion on issues, thinking the way he thinks God would think.

Thank you a Catholic who is telling the truth

Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
We agree on the essentials pertaining to salvation. Catholics and Protestants don't which was what brought about the protestant reformation.
I still have to disagree with you there. There is a wide spectrum of differences in different denominations on salvation. Some of the differences I have heard are 1. Just believe and you are saved. 2. Believe AND be baptized 3. Believe and live a certain lifestyle and so on...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Protestants don't agree salvation either. Calvinism is COMPLETELY opposed to free will. So who is right? Please don't make generalities that protestants agree on things. If they did, there wouldn't be 32,000+ versions of protestantism. If you think they all agree, then you're in denial.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I still have to disagree with you there. There is a wide spectrum of differences in different denominations on salvation. Some of the differences I have heard are 1. Just believe and you are saved. 2. Believe AND be baptized 3. Believe and live a certain lifestyle and so on...
My friend any Christian would tell you, THE essential doctrine of salvation is by grace ALONE thru faith ALONE are we saved, not of works lest any man can boast. There is absolutely nothing we can do to obtain salvation so that God gets ALL the glory. Now that we have gotten through that. Is not baptism a work? so how can one attach baptism to salvation? We as Christians should be baptized because it is a commandment from Jesus but baptism does not obtain salvation or else it contradicts the first statement and takes glory from God and gives it to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity