Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,040,311 times

Advertisements

Sad.

BBC NEWS | England | Jesus in jeans unveiled on church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:11 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,499,133 times
WOW! Trying to be relevant.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
WOW! Trying to be relevant.

Is it just me, or did he look a little like Rick Warren?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is it just me, or did he look a little like Rick Warren?
LOL......I see George Clooney in there.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM

The poor old man is clueless about scripture...so sad. How could anyone be going to church so long and still be in the dark.....He said, He hopes people will see the statue and draw people in to show that the church is not withdrawn (what verse is that?). It is the Holy Spirit that draws them in through members of the church going out and giving people the gospel, rightly, biblically and soundly then inviting them to their church.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 6,838,313 times
I'm not sure I understand why this is "sad" ? Does it really matter to a person what Jesus is "wearing"? Shouldn't it matter more what Jesus' message is? It's just an artist's idea of how he see's Jesus. I think that Jesus would be honored that a person used their artistic ability in a way that they felt would honor Him. I think the artist is trying to convey a sense of friendliness, a sense of approachability to Jesus... and I think that is very lovely. Seems to me the artist wants those who don't know Jesus to know that He is approachable.

I see nothing sad about this at all. In fact, I kinda smiled when I saw it.

Well, I guess we all have different opinions and perspectives, though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

peace.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'm not sure I understand why this is "sad" ? Does it really matter to a person what Jesus is "wearing"? Shouldn't it matter more what Jesus' message is? It's just an artist's idea of how he see's Jesus. I think that Jesus would be honored that a person used their artistic ability in a way that they felt would honor Him. I think the artist is trying to convey a sense of friendliness, a sense of approachability to Jesus... and I think that is very lovely. Seems to me the artist wants those who don't know Jesus to know that He is approachable.

I see nothing sad about this at all. In fact, I kinda smiled when I saw it.

Well, I guess we all have different opinions and perspectives, though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

peace.

I find the attempt as trying to be relevant and bring him down to our level. Jesus deserves to be honored and worshiped--he is not to be presented as a "cool" guy.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I find the attempt as trying to be relevant and bring him down to our level. Jesus deserves to be honored and worshiped--he is not to be presented as a "cool" guy.

hmmm. Like I said, I think the artist was honoring Jesus and I think that is a beautiful thing.

Jesus IS relevant. And not sure what wearing jeans has to do with being "cool". If they were jeans back in Jesus' day, Jesus would probably be wearing them kdbrich. Did you ever think of it that way? That is what, to me, is beautiful about it. The artist appears to be depicting Jesus in a way that some people who do not know Jesus could possibly relate to Him. For some, they see the sandals and the robe and their minds shut off at the site... and they think "Jesus can't relate to me" "I can't relate to Jesus"...

If something so small as a change in clothes can help a person look twice at Jesus, why is that sad?

Again, if people in Jesus' time wore jeans, why wouldn't Jesus have worn jeans???? Can anyone answer that question?

Funny, how perspectives are so different between people.

peace.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
hmmm. Like I said, I think the artist was honoring Jesus and I think that is a beautiful thing.

Jesus IS relevant. And not sure what wearing jeans has to do with being "cool". If they were jeans back in Jesus' day, Jesus would probably be wearing them kdbrich. Did you ever think of it that way? That is what, to me, is beautiful about it. The artist appears to be depicting Jesus in a way that some people who do not know Jesus could possibly relate to Him. For some, they see the sandals and the robe and their minds shut off at the site... and they think "Jesus can't relate to me" "I can't relate to Jesus"...

If something so small as a change in clothes can help a person look twice at Jesus, why is that sad?

Again, if people in Jesus' time wore jeans, why wouldn't Jesus have worn jeans???? Can anyone answer that question?

Funny, how perspectives are so different between people.

peace.
Honoring how? biblically or the artist own gospel? Ahhhhh...you are a pragmatist , Is it biblical? The question is whether the church drawing people to Christ or portraying Jesus Christ to the world is scriptural?

Jesus is God. We should have a high view of Him. We don't bring Him down to our level we go to His. God chooses us we don't choose Him. It's not the church's responsibility to make Jesus relevant, cool, desirable nor interesting so that others can take notice of Him-that is His job "Irresistible grace doctrine". We are just to preach His word, soundly and biblically.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM

y'all....

It's a pair of Jeans.

Just gonna have to agree to disagree with you guys on this.

we just see it from completely different perspectives.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity