Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM

256 posts, read 453,044 times

Advertisements

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and just wondering if I'm the only one perusing this board.

It's kind of lonely at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
I'm an Orthodox Christian, and just wondering if I'm the only one perusing this board.

It's kind of lonely at times.
No loneliness

I'm catholic but a long term admirer of the orthodox rite. To measure the gravity of my addiction, I have 2 gigabytes of greek/byzantine hymns on my pc.

Honest to God, some of them are boring and are ununderstandable for me, but I just play and gaze into space.

I posted a thread on the Eastern Orthodox Easter day, which trails the catholic day by a week, I bet you weren't around then.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
Im not Orthodox but i have been curious about it lately...
I sometimes pass by a beautiful orthodox church not far from where i live.
Thought about a visit one day,but kinda glad i didnt because someone told me..
Its a very different service and i would have been kinda thrown off a little.
The Churches are very beautiful inside and out.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Im not Orthodox but i have been curious about it lately...
I sometimes pass by a beautiful orthodox church not far from where i live.
Thought about a visit one day,but kinda glad i didnt because someone told me..
Its a very different service and i would have been kinda thrown off a little.

The Churches are very beautiful inside and out.
Think someone grossly misled you

Several argue that it's the truest form of Christianity. The Christology is so pure it would make you stand up in awe.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
did anyone respond around christmas time? and y not?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,053 times
I'm Lutheran, and can appreciate the "outnumbered" feeling around here. I've been intrigued with Eastern Orthodoxy for years, though.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, if anyone is curious, and there is an Orthodox Church near you, just go visit! Yes, the service is extremely liturgical and will be very different from what your standard Protestant service is like, but if you quietly ask someone for help, they will be glad to help you with the service.

Yes, I understand that we have very pure Christology. Our Services date to the 3rd century, and our Theology to the first century.

I belong to the Russian Orthodox Church, and our music is more Western than that of the Greek Orthodox Church. Many of the services in the USA are in English, and some are in Old Church Slavonic - one of the most beautiful languages ever.

The way we *live* our Theology and Christology on the day-to-day level is a little different from American Protestantism, too. We follow the Church calendar of feasts and fasts and celebrations of the lives of saints.

This coming Sunday is Pentecost, when we celebrate the coming down of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles as cloven tongues of fire.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,252 times
I have never been to an eastern orthodox church, but I had a lady friend on other boards I use to post on and she was most passionate about the church that I have always wanted to vist.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I have never been to an eastern orthodox church, but I had a lady friend on other boards I use to post on and she was most passionate about the church that I have always wanted to vist.
I'm very passionate about the Church - so much so that I have to really rein myself in so I won't offend people.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
I'm very passionate about the Church - so much so that I have to really rein myself in so I won't offend people.
No way

Kool-Aid exists in the Orthodox rite too?

<somersaults and crashes into his potted Japanese peace lily>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity