U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,492,706 times

Advertisements

Rev 12:1 A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head...
*Here is something I notice...

Lots of people use this verse in Revelation 12 to teach all kinds of things as to what it all means...
Ever notice that no one thinks the "sun" is the real sun?

Ever notice that no one thinks the "moon" is just the real normal moon we see going around the earth?

Ever notice that the "Twelve Stars" are turned into talking about all kinds of things, but no one thinks they are just normal stars in the sky?

Everyone jumps right away to slapping a new meaning onto all the things talked about in this verse, but I for once would like to hear someone just take the story at face value and not need to turn the sun, moon, and stars to be anything except what they really are...

Can the sun just be the sun?
The moon is the moon?
The stars are the stars?

(*taken from my post on another topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM

783 posts, read 1,160,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Rev 12:1 A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head...
Can the sun just be the sun?
The moon is the moon?
The stars are the stars?

(*taken from my post on another topic)
Using your prescribed interpretation; how do you interpret the woman?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
well...we might start out with just what the text says..."a woman "

Kinda trippy?
Kinda weird to just look at the text and think it says what it says?

Im not sure where this leads,
Dont be thinking I got a secret teaching in mind, cuz I dont.

What I know is that all of the so-called End Time teachers and their ideas about this Chapter strike me as way off the mark.

I dont have enough information to say what I think is the right understanding, but I do think that just for a change, rather than rushing to change the sun,moon, and stars to be all sorts of other things, why not try to just let them be what they are writen to be?

The sun is the sun
The moon is the moon
The stars are the stars...
and just perhaps, the woman is a woman?

start with that simple way to understand the text and see where it leads....

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,246,564 times
This describes a real constellation...I do not know which one, but it was actually seen by John, in the sky...with his own eyes...it was a sign to him...I'm trying to remember where I heard this explained...it was pretty amazing!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 PM

783 posts, read 1,160,943 times
Quote:
The sun is the sun
The moon is the moon
The stars are the stars...
and just perhaps, the woman is a woman?

start with that simple way to understand the text and see where it leads....
You believe it should be interpreted as a literal woman wearing the literal sun standing on the moon wearing a crown of 12 literal stars on her head. From this we have "started with the simple way to understand the text". Where does it lead or what do you believe it means?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
You believe it should be interpreted as a literal woman wearing the literal sun standing on the moon wearing a crown of 12 literal stars on her head. From this we have "started with the simple way to understand the text". Where does it lead or what do you believe it means?
yes....
Although I have heard many people give all kinds of answers to what the sun is and the 12 stars, or that the woman is the Jews, or is Mary...

I just think that all such ideas are falling short.

So, perhaps we might just say,
The sun...is the sun in the sky

Lets just say that the moon, is the same moon with Armstrong's foot prints on now.

And that the stars are the same stars we see too

Now if you dont force everything to be something else, does the story change?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 AM

another idea I want to toss out at you guys...

Everyone knows the Bible story of the Two Witnesses of Revelation right?

Can they be girls?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,779,061 times
The beast with 7 heads and 10 horns with crowns is a literal beast with 7 heads coming up out of the sea.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The beast with 7 heads and 10 horns with crowns is a literal beast with 7 heads coming up out of the sea.
yes, what if that is the correct Description?

In order to make it more easy to understand we rush to change everything into being something else.
But that is not based on facts, that is really only based on our lack of imagination.

I think we should first allow the story to just tell us what it actually says, before we rush to fix it.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:55 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,575,706 times
Quote:
Quote:
I read it this way. The woman is the Bride of Christ, and her "clothing" or covering is His glory, His righteousness. The moon has always represented our imaginations (carnal mind) and is cast down "under her feet". Twelve stars representing the twelve tribes of Israel, our heritage.

Note also:

Quote:
And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne. (vs 5)

She (we) is carrying a holy Seed that is growing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or