U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM

3,371 posts, read 2,031,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Paul said i know in whom i have believed in . This is the testimony of all believers.

Now faith is the substantiating of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
The Greek word for "know" is eidon which means
  1. to perceive with the eyes
  2. to perceive by any of the senses
  3. to perceive, notice, discern, discover
  4. to see
    1. i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything
    2. to pay attention, observe
    3. to see about something

We all live by faith. None of us know, and this is why our faith wavers and sometimes crashes to the ground completely. We can't deny the truth after we're dead. We will finally know instead of looking through a glass darkly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:21 PM

19,407 posts, read 9,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The Greek word for "know" is eidon which means
  1. to perceive with the eyes
  2. to perceive by any of the senses
  3. to perceive, notice, discern, discover
  4. to see
    1. i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything
    2. to pay attention, observe
    3. to see about something

We all live by faith. None of us know, and this is why our faith wavers and sometimes crashes to the ground completely. We can't deny the truth after we're dead. We will finally know instead of looking through a glass darkly.

Herefornow ...Jesus asked Peter who do you say that i am, Peter replied you are the Christ the son of the living God, Jesus went on to to tell him, flesh and blood had not revealed this to him, but his Father in heaven.Matt 16. I would still be in unbelief if this wasn't true. The Greek word for know, even from what you have quoted above does not indicate any doubt whatsoever in my eyes.When Jesus said this is eternal life that they might know you the only true God, it was a knowing in the sense of intimacy.When i pray Abba Father (Daddy God) i know i am praying to the living God dwelling within me .As for seeing through through a glass darkly, i agree, but that glass becomes less dark as we behold it.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Herefornow ...Jesus asked Peter who do you say that i am, Peter replied you are the Christ the son of the living God, Jesus went on to to tell him, flesh and blood had not revealed this to him, but his Father in heaven.Matt 16. I would still be in unbelief if this wasn't true. The Greek word for know, even from what you have quoted above does not indicate any doubt whatsoever in my eyes.When Jesus said this is eternal life that they might know you the only true God, it was a knowing in the sense of intimacy.When i pray Abba Father (Daddy God) i know i am praying to the living God dwelling within me .As for seeing through through a glass darkly, i agree, but that glass becomes less dark as we behold it.

Many people "know" and then don't know. So, did they ever really know? If you truly know, you truly know.

It's not because those wavering or confused don't want to know, though.

(Whew)

Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM

I would also say that the scriptures says "We are without excuse" Romans 1: 20, i am not saying this to condemn those that do not believe there is a God,but to confirm there is a God,and the believer know's this God by revelation faith.

Not only do i know but i am persuaded that He is able to keep that which i have commited unto against that day

Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I would also say that the scriptures says "We are without excuse" Romans 1: 20, i am not saying this to condemn those that do not believe there is a God,but to confirm there is a God,and the believer know's this God by revelation faith.

Not only do i know but i am persuaded that He is able to keep that which i have commited unto against that day
We are without excuse meaning we have a conscience. That is a neat feature of the human race.

Which is greatest according to I Corinthians 13?

People who have faith (and it is just that, faith)
People who have hope
------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>People who have love

There are many who don't have but a little faith, and even then sometimes it sails of into a dark ocean, but they still have love. The greatest of these is love.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Many people "know" and then don't know. So, did they ever really know? If you truly know, you truly know.

(Whew)
I'm not sure about that herefornow,i have never been in the "know and not know" situation, i have run from him , only to be spewed out by a whale, i have turned my back, only for him to shine his grace on my back, i have questioned him and been mad at him too,but when his hand his on your life there is no denying him.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about that herefornow,i have never been in the "know and not know" situation, i have run from him , only to be spewed out by a whale, i have turned my back, only for him to shine his grace on my back, i have questioned him and been mad at him too,but when his hand his on your life there is no denying him.

Some people have greater faith. You can check post #185 if you want. I don't want to argue about this, though, pcamps. It's okay.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Some people have greater faith. You can check post #185 if you want. I don't want to argue about this, though, pcamps. It's okay.
I hope we wasn't herefornow and yes it is okay.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I hope we wasn't herefornow and yes it is okay.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM

147 posts, read 106,825 times
Quote:
Paul said i know in whom i have believed in . This is the testimony of all believers.

Now faith is the substantiating of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Paul said women should be silent in church too.

He also sugessted that everyone remain single, that would have ended humanity quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity