Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
When I say this I don't mean to be picky. But when I hear the word Real Christian it doesn't really mean anything because there isn't a such thing. I mean if you are a Christian that follows Christ then you are doing what you are suppose to do.

WHat is this thing with the word real Christians. I caught myself saying that also. But Christ never said anything about a real Christian or not. He said that if you love me then you will live by commandment. He never said anything about real Christian, that is the term we have coined and made up. You are either one or you are not. Or you are Christian that have fallen away from what Christ has taught. If you are Christian and make a mistake it doesn't mean that you lost you Christian card, it just means you made a mistake. The people that use the term real Christian probably are not that real as they say. Because God says that all have fallen short of His glory. So, they probably aren't even the word that they use (real).

I'm personally tired of hearing the term Real Christian. Would you walk up to someone and say hello I'm not just a Christian, but I'm the Real Christian. Do you see how that sounds?

If you are a (REal) Christian as someone or you say, then your actions will speak for it all. You want have to say it. I'm not a real Christian, I'm a Christian that is following after my Lord and Savior and I love Him with all my heart. I let my life speak for me and allow people to see what a Christian is suppose to look like. When people see my life I want them to say that they see Christ in me, or that they see the love of Christ, or that they now know what a Christian is suppose to act like, not just to say oh that is a real Christian.

WHen Christ walked among His creation they saw Him for who He was, He was God, our Savior, Our High Priest, our Redeemer, not our real God, or real Savior, or real Hight Priest, or real Redeemer, but our God.

I think we have gotten so caught up in words that it really doesn't mean anything anymore.

Jesus had 12 diciples, not 12 real diciples. All of them had there faults because they were not perfect. So, when Peter denied Christ three times, he was still a diciples. I guess some would say he was not a real diciples because he denied Christ, which sounds really silly if you take the time and listen to how it sounds. Peter made a mistake but he was stilll a diciples just like the rest of them. Peter was not a real diciples but he was a diciple. Christ never said anything about real diciples.

It really does sound silly to add the term real. If that is the case, then who are the real Catholics, or real Buddhist, or real Atheists. It's silly to add the word real onto something that Christ didn't want added to show His character

I'm just expressing my opinion and I hope this doesn't upset some. This is just how I see the word real being used.

I love Christ to much to cheapen Him or what He has done, for the word real.

But it's easy to distenguise between a follower of Christ and someone who does not who call themselves Christian. Just look at there life! It's that simples. A follower of Christ will look like Him, and one who is not will look like what ever they are following.
AMEN! Beautifully expressed sentiment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Since the Apostles had no 'creed'.

And since none of the 'creeds' are in the Bible.

I see the 'creed's as simply man-made and of no spiritual importance.
You're right. Furthermore, had the Christians of Christ's time been presented with some of the later creeds (I'm thinking of the Athanasian Creed in particular), their reaction would have been "Huh?"

Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
It's amazing how He lookes past our faults.
It's amazing that we have been given the gift of repentance. Every single solitary day we wake up is a new day for us to try to be better. Because of repentance, every sin we manage to overcome is forgotten by God. Now that is a blessing!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're right. Furthermore, had the Christians of Christ's time been presented with some of the later creeds (I'm thinking of the Athanasian Creed in particular), their reaction would have been "Huh?"
I am curious, katzpur: You seem to reject the creeds that were created by the institutions later (as do I), so what is it in your mind that makes you say "I am a Christian!"

Thank you in advance. God bless.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Since the Apostles had no 'creed'.

And since none of the 'creeds' are in the Bible.

I see the 'creed's as simply man-made and of no spiritual importance.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the only true christian was tortured publically and died young(jesus @ 33) as did his close followers.
not many of us live like that not many. the opportunity is there, we can go door to door with bibles in bagdad or detroit any time.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the only true christian was tortured publically and died young(jesus @ 33) as did his close followers.
not many of us live like that not many. the opportunity is there, we can go door to door with bibles in bagdad or detroit any time.
Or China!

Breaking News

China has just sentenced a man to three years of prison.

Reason: giving away Bibles.

HERE

BEIJING – A criminal court in Beijing sentenced a man to three years in jail this week for giving away Bibles.

By all accounts, Shi Weihan was a model Chinese citizen and a kind-hearted man with a sense of social responsibility. He donated funds to send poor kids to school, raised money for those suffering from congenital heart disease, and when the Sichuan earthquake hit, worked tirelessly for the emergency relief effort.

But he was also the pastor of a "house church" group, a small gathering of Christians who choose to worship outside the gaze of government and its Religious Affairs Administration, which keeps a close eye and tight rein on all churches in China.

His wife and 65-year-old parents were crushed and his two young daughters, 13 and 9, were inconsolable when they heard about the sentence.

"The children just cannot accept it," says Zhang Jing, Shi Weihan's wife. "Their father is their biggest hero. They cried uncontrollably. They couldn't believe their father was convicted like an ordinary criminal."

Shi was also fined 150,000 Chinese yuan (about $25,000).

Old 06-13-2009, 11:28 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur
Good point.

Many of today's Mainstream Christian doctrines did not exist during the time of the first century Christians.

We like Romans 10:9-10 as being very simple and direct criteria for what makes a Christian.

:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

But today most denominations seem to have added a great deal of extra facets and caveats onto God's Word.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I am curious, katzpur: You seem to reject the creeds that were created by the institutions later (as do I), so what is it in your mind that makes you say "I am a Christian!"

Thank you in advance. God bless.
Well, I think Miss Shawn expressed it about as well as I could. She and I probably would disagree on a number of doctrines, but we do seem to agree on this particular topic. I am frequently told than I am not a "real" Christian, so frequently in fact, that it doesn't even bother me any more. What I want to be thought of is a follower of Jesus Christ. He said that men would be able to know His disciples by the love they showed to one another. To me, a Christian is any person who (1) acknowledges Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of the Living God, who (2) recognizes that He is the only means by which we may be reconciled with our Father in Heaven, who (3) tries to emulate Christ in his daily life and makes every effort to keep His commandments and who (4) considers himself to be a Christian. I hope that answers your question.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I think Miss Shawn expressed it about as well as I could. She and I probably would disagree on a number of doctrines, but we do seem to agree on this particular topic. I am frequently told than I am not a "real" Christian, so frequently in fact, that it doesn't even bother me any more. What I want to be thought of is a follower of Jesus Christ. He said that men would be able to know His disciples by the love they showed to one another. To me, a Christian is any person who (1) acknowledges Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of the Living God, who (2) recognizes that He is the only means by which we may be reconciled with our Father in Heaven, who (3) tries to emulate Christ in his daily life and makes every effort to keep His commandments and who (4) considers himself to be a Christian. I hope that answers your question.
Certainly does. Thanks. I, personally, particularly resonate with your statement "What I want to be thought of is a follower of Jesus Christ". I see that as the bottom line of a Christian. All the rest is up for debate, but I'd also say I agree with your 4 points as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity