U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM

7,374 posts, read 3,790,061 times
Default How is the doctrine of eternal torture reconciled with Luke 12:42-48 ?

Luke 12:42-48
"And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? 43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 44Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. 45But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

So the Good servant loves the others and "gives them meat in due season" ...

1 Timothy 2:6
"Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.""

And the evil servant beats the others and is drunken (in his wrath?) ...

Who is this evil servant?

Mat 18:23 - 35
"23Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants (sin). 24And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents (his sin, limited amount). 25But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold (banished/separated/exiled), and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 27Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. 28But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. 29And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 30And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. 31So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. 32Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: 33Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? 34And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.(a limited amount) 35So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses."

Now, back to Luke 12:42 - 48 ... The one who "KNOWS NOT"(believes not?) shall be beaten with few stripes, not forever tortured. ANd the one who knows and sins against that which he knows(like the other evil servant requires the debt of others when he knows he was forgiven / beats the fellow menservants and maidens) shall be beaten with many stripes, not eternally tortured. Both of these men the one who doesnt know and the one who know the truth are apportioned with the unbelievers, as being beaten is the recompence of unbelief ... Nowhere is there mention of eternal torture, but only definite limited punishment. Many and few both are limited amounts ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-16-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-15-2009, 11:48 PM

783 posts, read 727,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Luke 12:42-48
Iím sorry; this parable doesnít speak to nor does it affirm the false doctrine of Universal Reconciliation. This parable is not speaking in terms of the final judgment of the Saved (faithful in Christ) vs. un-Saved. It is speaking of the judgment of Christians, those who are His workman.

Christians are to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. His judgment will not determine whether or not we will be Saved. God will judge us in order to see if we are worthy or not to receive rewards. There will be degrees of rewards for the believer.

God Bless,
Salt & Light (http://compassoc.com/eph4-13/ - broken link)

Unread 06-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I’m sorry; this parable doesn’t speak to nor does it affirm the false doctrine of Universal Reconciliation. This parable is not speaking in terms of the final judgment of the Saved (faithful in Christ) vs. un-Saved. It is speaking of the judgment of Christians, those who are His workman.

Christians are to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. His judgment will not determine whether or not we will be Saved. God will judge us in order to see if we are worthy or not to receive rewards. There will be degrees of rewards for the believer.

God Bless,
Salt & Light (http://compassoc.com/eph4-13/ - broken link)

Nowhere in the bible does it say we as believers will be beaten for our sin. You have it mixed up, he who knows not is an unbeliever. He who knows is appointed his portion with the unbelievers ... And by the way he was speaking to Jews, not to Christians.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 06-16-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Unread 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Wow, is there no one else that has anything to say on this issue? "Surprise surprise" ...

Unread 12-09-2009, 07:21 PM

16 posts, read 9,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Wow, is there no one else that has anything to say on this issue? "Surprise surprise" ...
Yes, I have-Read 1 Corinthians 3:12-17. It talks about Christians at the Judgement Seat of Christ {for Christians only } who wil receive rewards for what they have done in this Life-GOOD OR BAD THE GOOD {GOLD SILVER , PRECIOUS STONES. THE BAD- WOOD HAY AND STUBLE. In short you can be a CLOD OF A CHRISTIAN in this life - only thing is when you get to heaven, You may have little or No reward - but you will be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity