U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Concerning the Rich Man and Lazarus: If, according to the current church understanding of this parable, we, upon death, go to heaven or hell, then the current church should also say that we go to the pig farm when we die as well, for, the boy in the parable of the prodigal son, just before this parable, died and went to the pig farm then came back to life and went back to his family.

Also, according to Abraham in the parable of the R man and Lazarus, the only reason Lazarus went to "heaven" was because he received evil things in this life and the only reason given for the rich man to go to "hell" was he received good things in this life:

Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

So, according to the modern christian church, if you want to make sure you get to "heaven" just be poor as snot. Who needs Jesus?

Hmm, I wonder why the prodigal son went to neither place but to a pig farm? Oh, I get it! boys go to pig farms when they die and the rich adults go to hell and poor adults go to heaven!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Concerning the Rich Man and Lazarus: If, according to the current church understanding of this parable, we, upon death, go to heaven or hell, then the current church should also say that we go to the pig farm when we die as well, for, the boy in the parable of the prodigal son, just before this parable, died and went to the pig farm then came back to life and went back to his family.
The pig farm represents the world.

Quote:
Also, according to Abraham in the parable of the R man and Lazarus, the only reason Lazarus went to "heaven" was because he received evil things in this life and the only reason given for the rich man to go to "hell" was he received good things in this life:
No...the rich man was self righteous, selfish, hypocrite etc.....rich man represented the Pharisees

Quote:
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
That is because the rich man wanted to be comforted and Abraham was basically telling him, No

Quote:
So, according to the modern christian church, if you want to make sure you get to "heaven" just be poor as snot. Who needs Jesus?
Jesus told the story, did He not, the parable was for the elect, His sheep, the ones who God granted to understand

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder why the prodigal son went to neither place but to a pig farm? Oh, I get it! boys go to pig farms when they die and the rich adults go to hell and poor adults go to heaven!
Your logic escapes me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989
So, if you say "the pig farm is the world," then when a prodigal son dies they go to the world?
Your logic escapes me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So, if you say "the pig farm is the world," then when a prodigal son dies they go to the world?
Your logic escapes me.
Prodigal son has nothing to do with hell, it is about two types of sinners; the prodigal son and his brother and the father who is God, one son selfish and the other son self righteous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Prodigal son has nothing to do with hell, it is about two types of sinners; the prodigal son and his brother and the father who is God, one son selfish and the other son self righteous.
Then we can also say the Rich man has nothing to do with hell as well. The Rich man was selfish.

And actually both the rman and Laz. were both sinners because David said he never saw the righteous begging.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,790,923 times
Reputation: 549
The prodigal son died? The father said he was dead, but I don't believe he meant literally, do you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Then we can also say the Rich man has nothing to do with hell as well. The Rich man was selfish.

And actually both the rman and Laz. were both sinners because David said he never saw the righteous begging.
Yes exactly you are right since there was flames in the pig pen and he and the pigs needed to cool their tongues, not to mention the son died and went to a not so very nice place, a place he wanted to warn his brothers about

incidently Lazarus is any Christian who sees themselves as a wretch, not worthy in the eyes of God. Lazarus is hardly mentioned in that story nor does he talk. I have no clue where you are going with this but if you are going to criticize the interpretation at least be accurate in your opponent's interpretation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Idaho
284 posts, read 350,428 times
Reputation: 37
I don't think Eusebius knows where he's goning with this it looks like another sad gnostic attempt to twist and mutate Gods word. Oh I know what Eusei would say here _ yeah just like the modern church twist scripture, well am I wrong and then toss in a line or to from one of Paul's writings to sound better informed?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
I don't think Eusebius knows where he's goning with this it looks like another sad gnostic attempt to twist and mutate Gods word. Oh I know what Eusei would say here _ yeah just like the modern church twist scripture, well am I wrong and then toss in a line or to from one of Paul's writings to sound better informed?
yeah just like the modern church twist scripture

The fact is: You can't take the PARABLE of the Rich Man and Lazarus and say this is what literaly happens when one died.

People don't really go to hell for being rich or to heaven for being poor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Germany
1,647 posts, read 1,706,353 times
Reputation: 842
a section the apocryphal book of Enoch (chapter 22) comes quite close to the parable of the rich man and Lazarus:

Quote:
The I asked regarding it, and regarding all the hollow places: 'Why is one separated from the other?' And he answered me and said unto me: 'These three have been made that the spirits of the dead might be separated. And such a division has been make (for) the spirits of the righteous, in which there is the bright spring of water. And such has been made for sinners when they die and are buried in the earth and judgement has not been executed on them in their lifetime. Here their spirits shall be set apart in this great pain till the great day of judgement and punishment and torment of those who curse for ever and retribution for their spirits.
I like this explanation:

biblical studies: The Rich Man and Lazarus, Part One

for me it seems Jesus used the unscriptural imaginations of the Pharisees (as found in the apocrypha and the Talmud) to tell them a lesson.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top