U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM

12,563 posts, read 12,866,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post

Some feel he shouldn't allow evil in the world. The world is what we make it not God he gave us this beautiful world to enjoy and look what we have done with it.
I don't understand this viewpoint. God made us, isn't that the belief? And he made us as imperfect beings. But then we're called to task for "ruining" a great world. Like God had nothing to do with it. This is very very odd to me. God made us. And we're imperfect. Whose fault was that again?

I agree that if God doesn't like this, he shouldn't allow evil into the world. He does. This would be like me having a big party and making sure to invite a person who is known to be destructive...and then getting angry that my place is ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 PM

I want to add something but didn't want to do it as just another edit since this board moves fast and people often read posts without realizing there was an edit later.

This idea of "look what we've done to our beautiful world". Well, that's true...and it's more often pagans than Christians that bemoan this, and actually do something about it. It's pagans who do directly advocate saving rather than ruining our planet. (Not only pagans, obviously...but one of the great "fears" Christians seem to have about pagans is how they are "so earth-based".) All the terrible flaky heathen pagans who do love the earth and try to take care of it, who often cloth-diaper rather than creating thousands of plastic diapers for land fill, who walk when they can rather than getting in their cars...I mean it's not just pagans, obviously; but I do find this ironic.

I hear a lot of moaning about what we've "made of the world," but do you own anything in your house that's made of plastic? Do you drive a car and belch burned fuel into the air? Do you own a TV, made in a belching factory? A computer? (Obviously.) Do you put your garbage out in plastic cans? Metal? Do you feel these items will simply disintigrate into dust when you're done using them?

Do you use a microwave? Do you put oil into your car? How about a dishwasher that uses much more water than you need? Do you make your own clothing or do you wear clothes that were made in a factory by underpaid, overworked human hands?

If the world is bad because of what we've made of it, do you advocate living in a bare-bones way? Would you be willing to do this yourself?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 PM

2,952 posts, read 232,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I want to add something but didn't want to do it as just another edit since this board moves fast and people often read posts without realizing there was an edit later.

This idea of "look what we've done to our beautiful world". Well, that's true...and it's more often pagans than Christians that bemoan this, and actually do something about it. It's pagans who do directly advocate saving rather than ruining our planet. All the terrible flaky heathen pagans who do love the earth and try to take care of it, who often cloth-diaper rather than creating thousands of plastic diapers for land fill, who walk when they can rather than getting in their cars...I mean it's not just pagans, obviously; but I do find this ironic.

I hear a lot of moaning about what we've "made of the world," but do you own anything in your house that's made of plastic? Do you drive a car and belch burned fuel into the air? Do you own a TV, made in a belching factory? A computer? (Obviously.) Do you put your garbage out in plastic cans? Metal? Do you feel these items will simply disintigrate into dust when you're done using them?

Do you use a microwave? Do you put oil into your car? How about a dishwasher that uses much more water than you need? Do you make your own clothing or do you wear clothes that were made in a factory by underpaid, overworked human hands?

If the world is bad because of what we've made of it, do you advocate living in a bare-bones way? Would you be willing to do this yourself?
This is an interesting question. Could we move it and make it a thread topic of its own?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
This is an interesting question. Could we move it and make it a thread topic of its own?
Sorry, Spunky, let me think how to phrase it as a direct question & I'll post a thread. You're probably right.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,838,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

This idea of "look what we've done to our beautiful world". Well, that's true...and it's more often pagans than Christians that bemoan this, and actually do something about it. It's pagans who do directly advocate saving rather than ruining our planet. (Not only pagans, obviously...but one of the great "fears" Christians seem to have about pagans is how they are "so earth-based".) All the terrible flaky heathen pagans who do love the earth and try to take care of it, who often cloth-diaper rather than creating thousands of plastic diapers for land fill, who walk when they can rather than getting in their cars...I mean it's not just pagans, obviously; but I do find this ironic.

IMHO, Jesus will have come back and taken us home before any of these things actually become a legitimate factor.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 PM

562 posts, read 1,599,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
IMHO, Jesus will have come back and taken us home before any of these things actually become a legitimate factor.
So human life on Earth is like a TV show he is going to get bored of and cancel?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 869 times
You are looking for answers, I understand this. Each and everyone of us is looking. We don't have all the answers either. You have got to be open minded. Just because you had a bad thing happen in your life does not mean you should give up on Christ. I went to church off and on all my life. There is a lot of people who go to church and claims to be a christians, who are not. They are just playing the roll and they think they will go to heaven. Here is the thing you need to look inside yourself, not others and see what you see in yourself. Are you a Christian who just got mad at other who claim they where when they where not. Thing happen to us to test us. Are you going to let what the devil poured up on your mother run over to you and make you just as bad as her. Just in a different way. That means he won both of your souls. Are you going to let him win. Take your soul back into your hands. Get your bible and look for the answer in it not other people. Looking to other people will be your down fall. For me God has blessed my life with so much. But I still have to deal with bad things, It's just the devil trying to take life away from you. Look into your life and see if there has been thing that happen for the good and you can not understand how it happen. This is a blessing from God. I hope this could help you. I'm not one who can quote verses out of the Bible but I do know what it say to me. Have faith it worth it. What do you have to lose? Your life? Read the Bible for yourself not for anyone else. See what it has to say for yourself.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM

20,052 posts, read 21,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis View Post
You are looking for answers, I understand this. Each and everyone of us is looking. We don't have all the answers either. You have got to be open minded. Just because you had a bad thing happen in your life does not mean you should give up on Christ. I went to church off and on all my life. There is a lot of people who go to church and claims to be a christians, who are not. They are just playing the roll and they think they will go to heaven. Here is the thing you need to look inside yourself, not others and see what you see in yourself. Are you a Christian who just got mad at other who claim they where when they where not. Thing happen to us to test us. Are you going to let what the devil poured up on your mother run over to you and make you just as bad as her. Just in a different way. That means he won both of your souls. Are you going to let him win. Take your soul back into your hands. Get your bible and look for the answer in it not other people. Looking to other people will be your down fall. For me God has blessed my life with so much. But I still have to deal with bad things, It's just the devil trying to take life away from you. Look into your life and see if there has been thing that happen for the good and you can not understand how it happen. This is a blessing from God. I hope this could help you. I'm not one who can quote verses out of the Bible but I do know what it say to me. Have faith it worth it. What do you have to lose? Your life? Read the Bible for yourself not for anyone else. See what it has to say for yourself.
Very good advice!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM

562 posts, read 1,599,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis View Post
I'm assuming since you didn't quote anyone that you are referring to me. I don't know if you confused my post with another or what because I didn't have a bad event in my life that turned me off of Christianity. And I've read the bible, I didn't find the answers I was looking for.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM

71 posts, read 80,114 times
Default Close

Dear Shadow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
So human life on Earth is like a TV show he is going to get bored of and cancel?
Yes, God will destroy the Earth & the heavens after Jesus reigns on Earth for 1000 years. That is when the Final Judgement will take place and when Satan, the fallen angels and all humans that chose to reject God will be sentenced to eternal damnation. It's all in the Bible. Oh, another thing. You keep saying there are many different Bibles. Take a trip to Barnes & Noble and look at the Bibles. There are different translations (King James, New King James, International Version, New American Standard, etc.), but they all say the same thing. Same Books of the Bible, same Old Testament, same New Testament. They are just using different types of language. When you talk about the koran & the book of muslim or the book of mormon - these were written by mere men. Strange men at that. Look into the history behind these false religions and you will better understand the difference between Gods Word and books written by strange men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity