Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Spunk, Just so I'll know for future reference, you realize that what you "have to agree with here" is this posted by misswoodlandpark

That's what you just agreed to. Wanna make sure that's what you meant.
What I was actually refering to was the statement that a few on these boards have no legitimate interest in seeking out God. And these boards are really not the appropriate place anyway. It seems some just want to argue and try to find faults with Christians.

As far as the other, I think her remark is being misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM

71 posts, read 117,995 times
Default What Are The Rude Posts?

Dear Hoosier,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
My computer is out of control and has a mind of it's own. Go back up and read my post. Basically there is a lot of fighting and rude posts in this thread, mostly by a few Christians. Let's all remember to play nicely and realize that people are at the receiving end of your posts. It's easy to spout off before thinking through things...you're in your house and I'm in mine thousands of miles away. But I am still going to read what you post...so please respect everyone. (maybe I should become a mod! )

What posts are rude? I've only seen one person call someone ignorant, and that surely wasn't a Christian. A very proud non-Christian at that.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Oh and I forgot to add you don't know this. Why would God talk to men thousands of years ago and not today? I've really wondered this. Why do Christians churches today believe that the Bible is the only written word of God? Why do they believe there are no prophets on the earth today? Why would God bless the earth with prophets of God thousands of years ago and not today??
Anyone else like to take a shot at these questions?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
I have thought about these also. I was really pondering on them a year ago and haven't found the answer. Spunky's version sounded good.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
I did, if you read back a few pages, you can see what I think.

I'll repost it here

The reason I believe God doesn't speak audibly today is because He speaks though the Holy Spirit to us. In the Old Testament Jesus had not come, after Jesus died on the cross then went into Heaven He sent the Holy Spirit to live inside of us and teach what we need to know 1 John 2:27.
God still speaks just as powerfully today as He did when the Bible was written.
He speaks through His word, other people, circumstances, and the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM

267 posts, read 533,608 times
You're obviously troubled by this, but I don't believe you'll get the answer you're seeking. There's no arguing with those who believe the holiness of a writer's words, though I have tried explaining how I could call my clicky pen holy though it didn't make it so, but I see you're not even going to try. May you find the answer you seek?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Here's the deal. It's like I'm watching a tennis match and it's the Christians versus the non-Christians. If your goal is to present Christ honorably or to win souls to the kingdom do your (I am not pointing at one person in particular) posts show the love of Christ that you proclaim?

And if people want to learn, they will, if they're trying to create a fuss, be the bigger person. PLease do not think the only people affected by your posts are the one you're directing it at. Go to the front page of P&OC and see how many unique views these threads have. You're words are currently touching hundreds of views. One thread I started awhile back has come back to life, as this one may too (although I did not start this one).

What some of you are doing is proving the point that Christians can be judgemental. You may not like this comment and I'm not on here to be popular. I'm here to share, learn and meet some fantastic people...which I have. I will say that OTR got the shaft tonight in this thread (I believe it was this one). He is a fantastic guy who deserves the utmost respect...as do others too.

I so appreciate Shadow's POV. Sure he/she may not agree, or may seem this or that to you, but questions and comments are being posed.

There are so many wonderful people in this forum and I don't care if they are Christians, agnostics, wiccans, buddhists, pagans, or whatever. They are people and while I don't see them with my eyes, I see them with my soul as I read their posts.

Let's remember that we're adults...we are aren't we? If you read some of your posts and knew that was your teen or kid writing it, what would YOU say to them?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
You're obviously troubled by this, but I don't believe you'll get the answer you're seeking. There's no arguing with those who believe the holiness of a writer's words, though I have tried explaining how I could call my clicky pen holy though it didn't make it so, but I see you're not even going to try. May you find the answer you seek?
If you're referring to me I'm not troubled at all. I have my answers. I was just curious as to what other Christian churches thought. And I do appreciate the responses from spunky and ILNC.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I did, if you read back a few pages, you can see what I think.

I'll repost it here

The reason I believe God doesn't speak audibly today is because He speaks though the Holy Spirit to us. In the Old Testament Jesus had not come, after Jesus died on the cross then went into Heaven He sent the Holy Spirit to live inside of us and teach what we need to know 1 John 2:27.
God still speaks just as powerfully today as He did when the Bible was written.
He speaks through His word, other people, circumstances, and the Holy Spirit.
I agree ILNC. Well said. You've given a great explanation.

Sidebar: I also believe that the Bible is a finished,complete and perfect work.

Many of the folks that claim to hear from God have made predictions (prophesies) that didn't/don't come true. If something the prophet says is false, he's a false prophet.

Also, any proposed 'new' word from the Lord couldn't contradict that which has already been given or it would make the first false, which, with God-goggles on, isn't possible. In other words, the 'new' must agree with the old.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Can't spell...chronic problem.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I will say that OTR got the shaft tonight in this thread (I believe it was this one). He is a fantastic guy who deserves the utmost respect...as do others too.
I agree. I'm not sure where all the OTR hate came from tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity