U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM

417 posts, read 466,250 times

Advertisements

Isn't there the "Whosoever believes me shall be saved" sentence spoken by Jesus?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM

137 posts, read 281,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
Isn't there the "Whosoever believes me shall be saved" sentence spoken by Jesus?
Yes, but people often misinterprete that phrase.

Christ was saying those who believe in his gospel will be saved.

That means they must follow through, empty words mean nothing.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM

417 posts, read 466,250 times
But that attitude can lead to legalism where you judge people by their actions without knowing their struggle.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM

137 posts, read 281,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
But that attitude can lead to legalism where you judge people by their actions without knowing their struggle.
I'm not judging anything; I am just saying that the "just believe" mentality is not correct if one looks at what scripture says.... even so, as I asked before( to save my breath) where can you prove that is says otherwise? I promise you, you can't!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM

20,055 posts, read 21,112,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post

That means they must follow through, empty words mean nothing.
Follow through with what

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 PM

954 posts, read 97,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Did you go take the test? It clearly states all this will get me into hell, unless I repent and spend my life worshiping him and fearing his wrath.
I took the test......you can call me 'Satan's Golf Buddy" from now!!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post

Another 'personal interpretation'. Does this scripture actually say "Those who believe in my gospels will be saved" and if not, where did you get this from. As his "gospels" were not written until 50-80 years after he was alleged to have lived....I can't see how he could have even mentioned them! Either your bible is the unchanging, unchangable word of your god and means what it says or it's not. It shouldn't need people to jump up and say "Wait! I doesn't mean that!"

Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 AM

1,393 posts, read 135,643 times
I thought Jesus said "Believe in me and you shall be saved"

Jesus Came to Save the World
44 And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.

I would think this would all just fall in place believing in HIM and following HIS word. You don't follow someone that you don't believe in!!! At least you shouldn't!!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,746,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I took the test......you can call me 'Satan's Golf Buddy" from now!!
Plad: Why do you joke about such things?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Plad: Why do you joke about such things?
.......because I'm atheist and I have no belief in gods or divine retribution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity