Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 11:57 AM

14,696 posts, read 17,026,769 times

Advertisements

He will have all be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. It was God's good pleasure to reconcile all to Himself.

Quote:
job 23:

13But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
Ephesians 1: 5-10
"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is the *summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens, and things upon the earth."

*summing up=anakephalaioomai=to gather together again in one, to reunite under one head as in Eph. 1 (mid. voice) (Hebrew/Greek Key Word Study)

Amen. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,767,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
No its not my opinion, its Gods word..you dont believe in Gods word..
NO, I completely believe in God's word, the bible, I just hold to a Traditional interpretation of it.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,624,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I admit God is the only one to choose to give the money. I used that example of showing "fairness"

double predestination is God deliberately makes people evil in order to send them to hell, that is not scriptural since we are all destined to hell from the beginning of birth, it is God who CHOOSES to save some by granting them repentance allowing them to turn back and seek righteousness.

The bible says, God's desire is for all to be saved. So why aren't all saved?
Fundy, you are talking in circles. I used to have respect for what you said because I admire anyone who believes in something and sticks to his guns. But you are being obstinate. You know damn well, that if you believe in predestination, then MUST believe that God chooses those that are damned either from the beginning or as a result of not being chosen. Just let the words slip from your lips. "I believe in double predestination." Say it....Say it......Say it........C'mon, give it a big hug.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,511,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Fundy, you are talking in circles. I used to have respect for what you said because I admire anyone who believes in something and sticks to his guns. But you are being obstinate. You know damn well, that if you believe in predestination, then MUST believe that God chooses those that are damned either from the beginning or as a result of not being chosen. Just let the words slip from your lips. "I believe in double predestination." Say it....Say it......Say it........C'mon, give it a big hug.
I am not talking in circles. You want me to say something that isn' there even though it makes sense to you, even logical but we can't rely on that, we can only rely on scripture and if there are gaps so be it but in fairness to answer your question if I believe in "double predestination"

I do not agree with how the doctrine of double predestination is worded therefore I could not in good conscience "hug it" BECAUSE IT IS NOT SCRIPTURAL but I do agree with a "double predestination that is based on scripture.

"the idea that some people have is that God appoints some people to heaven, some people to hell, and then He is as active in making those people on their way to hell evil, as He is active in making those people on their way to heaven good. And obviously, Scripture doesn't teach that or wouldn't affirm it. That's a doctrine I would call equal ultimacy. There's a -- there's a sense in which, if God chose whom He would save and before the foundation of the world, left everyone else, passed over them, left them in their sins, then their destiny is determined as well. It's determined. But it isn't by any active effort on God's part that they are made evil. It's their own fault."

Pastor Phil Johnson

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-27-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM

106 posts, read 135,472 times
Quote:
Free will has absolutely nothing to do with choice for salvation, show me that in scripture. until you can prove that your argument against predestination is moot.

Predestination is not love? which is better; you have a family of 30 in a non christian family and you are the only Christian where you are constantly witnessing and praying for their salvation and you might be able to get about 4 or how about with the doctrine of election out of 30 half are predestined for election. Which is more loving to you?
Well, choosing all to be saved, of course!

But, wait, God isn't like that...

Old 06-27-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoman View Post
Well, choosing all to be saved, of course!

But, wait, God isn't like that...
Sorry but scipture doesn't say He saves all, He saves all who believe, if you believe then you are ok. He saves us not we so why aren't all saved?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM

106 posts, read 135,472 times
Quote:
I am not talking in circles. You want me to say something that isn' there even though it makes sense to you, even logical but we can't rely on that, we can only rely on scripture and if there are gaps so be it but in fairness to answer your question if I believe in "double predestination"

I do not agree with how the doctrine of double predestination is worded therefore I could not in good conscience "hug it" BECAUSE IT IS NOT SCRIPTURAL but I do agree with a "double predestination that is based on scripture.

"the idea that some people have is that God appoints some people to heaven, some people to hell, and then He is as active in making those people on their way to hell evil, as He is active in making those people on their way to heaven good. And obviously, Scripture doesn't teach that or wouldn't affirm it. That's a doctrine I would call equal ultimacy. There's a -- there's a sense in which, if God chose whom He would save and before the foundation of the world, left everyone else, passed over them, left them in their sins, then their destiny is determined as well. It's determined. But it isn't by any active effort on God's part that they are made evil. It's their own fault."

Pastor Phil Johnson
Scenario:

I have a friend. I can see his future. I know that if I knock him out (without his choosing) and put him in a crack house he will freely choose to take drugs. Further, he would become addicted to drugs and, several years down the road, be charged with accidental man-slaughter (he was high whilst driving a car) and would be sentenced to 25 years in prison. I also know that, if I had NOT put him in the crack house, he would have gone on to live a perfectly happy life, growing up with a happy family and good career.

If I were to knock my friend out and put him in the crack house, is his demise not of my choosing? Of course it is! I am guilty of AND CHOSE his demise.

Last edited by Domoman; 06-27-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoman View Post
Scenario:

I have a friend. I can see his future. I know that if I knock him out (without his choosing) and put him in a crack house he will freely choose to take drugs. Further, he would become addicted to drugs and, several years down the road, be charged with accidental man-slaughter (he was high whilst driving a car) and would be sentenced to 25 years in prison. I also know that, if I had NOT put him in the crack house, he would have gone on to live a perfectly happy life, growing up with a happy family and good career.

If I were to knock my friend out and put him in the crack house, is his demise not of my choosing? Of course it is! I am guilty of AND CHOSE his demise.

Furthermore, do you accept that ONLY GOD can save, and it is not of man's choosing?

Scenario 2:

I have five friends and I put them all in a building. I light the building on fire knowing that everybody in the building will die unless I come and save them. I have a complete ability to save all of them and, due to all the smoke, my friends cannot possibly hope to get out of the building on their own. Despite having the ability to save all of them, I only choose to save two of them.

Did I not willfully choose to save ONLY two of my friends, but not my three other friends? I mean, I could blame it on them not being able to see. But I put them in the building. I made the fire. I caused the smoke. I made them blind. I LET THEM DIE. I am guilty of murder. Period.
Wow! that is alot but God did not take any active part in some one sinning. We are all born sinners, destined for hell. What separates you from a non believer? Did you choose God? Did you save yourself? and if you say that God chose you then why aren't your unbeliever friends saved as well?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:08 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
I already know the answer. It is for His glory; that's it. God dying for man is a bi product of Him getting the glory. If dying for us doesn't give Him the glory then He wouldn't have done it.
You never answered the question ?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you think God could ever have demonstrated His love to man any other way than dying for Him when he was at is worst ?.

Your answer to this will tell you why man fell and the whole purpose and plan of God through the ages
I did answer your question. I believe God could have demonstrated that if it gave Him the glory. He does what gives Him the glory.

You are under the mistaken notion that first and foremost I believe God died for us because He loved us, I believe that but that is a bi product. God does everything for His glory. He chose to have us, He doesn't need us; He has fulfillment in the Trinity but He came up with this preordained plan that He created man, man falls God comes in and saves man and the creation thus getting all the glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity