Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

It is often brought up by sincere Christians that if one commits the unforgiveable sin
that they therefore cannot be saved and thus, God cannot save all mankind.
But is this the case? Let us look at the facts.

There is no need for the Universalist to twist scripture to get God to save all.

Let us look at the time frame our Blessed Lord puts on this sin:

Matthew 12:31-32 CLV Therefore I am saying to you, Every sin and
blasphemy shall be pardoned men, yet the blasphemy of the spirit shall
not be pardoned." (32) And whosoever may be saying a word against
the Son of Mankind, it will be pardoned him, yet whoever may be saying
aught against the holy spirit, it shall not be pardoned him, neither in
this eon nor in that [eon] which is impending."

Mark 3:28-30 CLV Verily, I am saying to you that all shall be pardoned
the sons of mankind, the penalties of the sins and the blasphemies,
whatsoever they should be blaspheming, (29) yet whoever should be
blaspheming against the holy spirit is having no pardon for the eon, but is
liable to the eonian penalty for the sin-" (30) for they said, "An unclean
spirit has he."

One thing is certain, the person who committs this sin is not being pardoned for the eon
or the eon which is to come and in fact is liable to the eonian penalty which is the penalty
pertaining to the eons or ages.

The reason the Concordant Literal Version uses "pardon" here is because a pardon is
given by a high executive such as a governor or king. Even in our day if a person is in prison
and gets pardoned, he is released. If he is not pardoned then he is liable to fulfill the
remainder of his time until his release.
Thus it is with the unpardonable sin. It just will not be pardoned. It will not be pardoned in this eon/age
or the eon/age which is impending. So the person who committs this sin must do the full time for the crime.

So God can and will still save all mankind.

Oh, one more thing: these same sincere Christians who really want to honor God by believing
what He says really do believe: "Every sin and
blasphemy shall be pardoned men." I don't know of anyone who has committed this sin.
The hooker down the street or the whino. Every sin they committed will be pardoned. Christ said it.
I'm glad the sincere Christian believes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Thank you for sharing, Eusebius. God bless.
Quote:

One thing is certain, the person who committs this sin is not being pardoned for the eon or the eon which is to come and in fact is liable to the eonian penalty which is the penalty pertaining to the eons or ages.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Nice post!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 AM

Thanks Shana and lego.

I wonder what the ETers think about this

Old 06-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Hmm,
The silence is rather telling.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Hmm,
The silence is rather telling.
LOL. I've noticed that myself more than once... often when scripture cannot be answered.

But in this case it may be because there is currently another thread about the "unforgivable sin"

However your OP has summarized the issue quite nicely. Of course that won't fly with those who don't acknowledge the concordant literal.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 PM

106 posts, read 136,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
LOL. I've noticed that myself more than once... often when scripture cannot be answered.

But in this case it may be because there is currently another thread about the "unforgivable sin"

However your OP has summarized the issue quite nicely. Of course that won't fly with those who don't acknowledge the concordant literal.
Nice post Eusebius!

I found this other article one time, on the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and it might be the best one I've ever read on the subject. It's interesting to note that Jesus was clarifying that the blasphemy would not be forgiven "those men" (that is, the Pharisees), and it seems more like it's because they continually blasphemed, based on the Greek texts' tense.

Pantelism

So it's not really that it can't be forgiven to all men, it's just that because the Pharisees continually, and were, perhaps, in a state of blasphemy, they were not forgiven.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts folks!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Any other ETers out there wish to comment?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Any other ETers out there wish to comment?
You keep bumping this up! Are just going around looking to debate or what? Are you trying to convince yourself this is true, instead of seeking the Truth out from He who gives it?

I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity