Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
For me when I was convicted that I needed to get right with God, I read in the bible that we are to seek truth, that there is deception and it started 2000 years ago, to me it seemed that when I looked at the "christian world" and saw so many different sects and denomination that this is the product of that deception. All of these different denomination think they have the truth and all the others are in various stages of deception depending on how much the others agree with their beliefs. It was obvious to me that there is something wrong with christianity as a whole, (Nothing wrong with God, Jesus and Gods plan, just with how christianity views Gods plan)
I agree wholeheartedly with your placement of the beginning of deception 2000 years ago. It seems our modern fundamentalists are waiting for Satan to clearly appear in an unmistakable satanic guise and obviously try to deceive them from whatever it is they have been told to believe by their churches. They seem not to realize that the deception started IMMEDIATELY after Christ's death and resurrection . . . leaving the ONLY source of guidance the Holy Spirit within and the unambiguous example of Jesus's unconditional love to correct the deceit that would be spread. ALL the worst of human traits in the subsequent "leaders" of the churches to this day have benefitted from the continued use of the OT concept of God and the FEAR it engendered (now who might be inclined to use those worst traits of humanity to deceive??) . . . in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to Jesus's example and teaching about the TRUE nature of God as LOVE and His revised PRIME commandments to "LOVE God and Each Other."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your placement of the beginning of deception 2000 years ago. It seems our modern fundamentalists are waiting for Satan to clearly appear in an unmistakable satanic guise and obviously try to deceive them from whatever it is they have been told to believe by their churches. They seem not to realize that the deception started IMMEDIATELY after Christ's death and resurrection . . . leaving the ONLY source of guidance the Holy Spirit within and the unambiguous example of Jesus's unconditional love to correct the deceit that would be spread. ALL the worst of human traits in the subsequent "leaders" of the churches to this day have benefitted from the continued use of the OT concept of God and the FEAR it engendered (now who might be inclined to use those worst traits of humanity to deceive??) . . . in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to Jesus's example and teaching about the TRUE nature of God as LOVE and His revised PRIME commandments to "LOVE God and Each Other."
Game , set and match

Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Exactly!!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 PM

27 posts, read 31,511 times
Quote:
No revelations here, just lots of seeking truth and study of the bible, lots of reading and seeing how it stood up to the scriptures and also being told through scripture what the character of God is (God is love, the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace etc)

For me when I was convicted that I needed to get right with God, I read in the bible that we are to seek truth, that there is deception and it started 2000 years ago, to me it seemed that when I looked at the "christian world" and saw so many different sects and denomination that this is the product of that deception. All of these different denomination think they have the truth and all the others are in various stages of deception depending on how much the others agree with their beliefs. It was obvious to me that there is something wrong with christianity as a whole, (Nothing wrong with God, Jesus and Gods plan, just with how christianity views Gods plan) I was told I needed to find a "bible believing" church - I did, but it was obvious that they were taught a particular belief 1st then used scripture that supported their view. Any that did not support their view was ignored or explained away.
AMEN !!!
Amazing how when we disagree with the mainline view we are ostracized for merely believing that God is truly sovereign. I have come to the realization of God's reconciling ALL of mankind back to himself through His Son Jesus through years of study and prayer, but I did so leaving my pre-conceived notions and pre-programmed doctrine behind. I merely wanted to find truth. I also came to realize that I do not much care if others believe me. I feel it is God's Spirit that reveals truth to the willing soul and that it is not my job. I come here to share, not to bicker about the finer points of doctrine. I feel that I am secure in my faith to where I can agree to disagree with those that do not agree with me. I came from a church that basically said, "Our way or the Highway" concerning doctrinal beliefs and scriptural "truth". I found that their "truth" was based more upon tradition than study and earnestly seeking God's truth. This is what I have come to refer to as the "Pharisaic mindset".

Being unwilling to accept the doctrine of man and seeking the truth of God has freed me to realize that I don't care what man thinks of me, only what God thinks of me. I have found that Universal Reconciliation fits the heart of God as shown through Jesus Christ; the shepherd searching for the lost sheep, the Rabbi hanging out with those nasty, unclean Samaritans, saving a "professional" lady from a "rock" concert, and "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do". This is the heart that would refuse to lose even one of those precious souls that He chose to die for not a heart of "time to throw another sinner in the fire..."

Long story short, I believe God will save ALL eventually and they will be willing to be saved. This is what I believe. This may not be what you believe and I am OK with that because I do not need you to agree with me. I love you all even if we disagree. Jesus is still my Savior as He is yours.

Shalom, His peace be with you.

In Christ.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:28 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
No revelations here, just lots of seeking truth and study of the bible, lots of reading and seeing how it stood up to the scriptures and also being told through scripture what the character of God is (God is love, the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace etc)

For me when I was convicted that I needed to get right with God, I read in the bible that we are to seek truth, that there is deception and it started 2000 years ago, to me it seemed that when I looked at the "christian world" and saw so many different sects and denomination that this is the product of that deception. All of these different denomination think they have the truth and all the others are in various stages of deception depending on how much the others agree with their beliefs. It was obvious to me that there is something wrong with christianity as a whole, (Nothing wrong with God, Jesus and Gods plan, just with how christianity views Gods plan) I was told I needed to find a "bible believing" church - I did, but it was obvious that they were taught a particular belief 1st then used scripture that supported their view. Any that did not support their view was ignored or explained away.
I agree with you 100% on this meerkat. These are my thoughts exactly. I would also like to add, that I too didn`t receive an instaneous revelation. Like all other CU`s I have talked to, it was after much study, seeking, praying I finally couldn`t deny it anymore. I`m not sure who fundy is talking about that received a instaneous revelation.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-in-Christ View Post
AMEN !!!
Amazing how when we disagree with the mainline view we are ostracized for merely believing that God is truly sovereign. I have come to the realization of God's reconciling ALL of mankind back to himself through His Son Jesus through years of study and prayer, but I did so leaving my pre-conceived notions and pre-programmed doctrine behind. I merely wanted to find truth. I also came to realize that I do not much care if others believe me. I feel it is God's Spirit that reveals truth to the willing soul and that it is not my job. I come here to share, not to bicker about the finer points of doctrine. I feel that I am secure in my faith to where I can agree to disagree with those that do not agree with me. I came from a church that basically said, "Our way or the Highway" concerning doctrinal beliefs and scriptural "truth". I found that their "truth" was based more upon tradition than study and earnestly seeking God's truth. This is what I have come to refer to as the "Pharisaic mindset".

Being unwilling to accept the doctrine of man and seeking the truth of God has freed me to realize that I don't care what man thinks of me, only what God thinks of me. I have found that Universal Reconciliation fits the heart of God as shown through Jesus Christ; the shepherd searching for the lost sheep, the Rabbi hanging out with those nasty, unclean Samaritans, saving a "professional" lady from a "rock" concert, and "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do". This is the heart that would refuse to lose even one of those precious souls that He chose to die for not a heart of "time to throw another sinner in the fire..."

Long story short, I believe God will save ALL eventually and they will be willing to be saved. This is what I believe. This may not be what you believe and I am OK with that because I do not need you to agree with me. I love you all even if we disagree. Jesus is still my Savior as He is yours.

Shalom, His peace be with you.

In Christ.
..I repped you!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Awesome post! So clear!

LOL how could we be waiting for a deception that we could plainly see! That is what a deception is - it deceives! Even the very elect would be deceived, if that were possible. Of course part of the deception is everyone assumes they are part of the elect! I too was deceived, maybe I still am, but at least I have a much better outlook now... plus it helps that I can reconcile every scripture thrown at me with my view. That gives me some confidence I am no longer deceived.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
What if Christ was an alien and the ascension was actually Him being taken up to the ship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity