Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Mat 7:13 `Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide is the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
Mat 7:14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!
Yes I agree. Many take the broad way to destruction. Does Mat 7:13-14 say anything about eternal hell? NO.

Quote:
Luk 16:19 `And--a certain man was rich, and was clothed in purple and fine linen, making merry sumptuously every day,
Luk 16:20 and there was a certain poor man, by name Lazarus, who was laid at his porch, full of sores,
Luk 16:21 and desiring to be filled from the crumbs that are falling from the table of the rich man; yea, also the dogs, coming, were licking his sores.
Luk 16:22 `And it came to pass, that the poor man died, and that he was carried away by the messengers to the bosom of Abraham--and the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luk 16:23 and in the hades having lifted up his eyes, being in torments, he doth see Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom,
Luk 16:24 and having cried, he said, Father Abraham, deal kindly with me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and may cool my tongue, because I am distressed in this flame.
Luk 16:25 `And Abraham said, Child, remember that thou did receive--thou--thy good things in thy life, and Lazarus in like manner the evil things, and now he is comforted, and thou art distressed;
Luk 16:26 and besides all these things, between us and you a great chasm is fixed, so that they who are willing to go over from hence unto you are not able, nor do they from thence to us pass through.
Luk 16:27 `And he said, I pray thee, then, father, that thou mayest send him to the house of my father,
Luk 16:28 for I have five brothers, so that he may thoroughly testify to them, that they also may not come to this place of torment.
Luk 16:29 `Abraham saith to him, They have Moses and the prophets, let them hear them;
Luk 16:30 and he said, No, father Abraham, but if any one from the dead may go unto them, they will reform.
Luk 16:31 And he said to him, If Moses and the prophets they do not hear, neither if one may rise out of the dead will they be persuaded.'

There is a lesson here....
Yes there is a lesson in Luke 16. There was recent thread that discussed Luke 16 in depth. If you think Luke 16 is proof of eternal hell, you should research it a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM

In response to "why does God allow sin?":

Quote:
No, it is all to glorify Himself.....period.....
Richard, this is a very simplistic answer you have given. Like I said, there are many reasons why God allows, even intended that there be sin in this world.

God is not simply a self-glorifying ego maniac. God doesn't need to do something to glorify himself. God's actions are glorious PERIOD. God is glorious PERIOD.

But you, as a Calvinist, would probably also believe that God decrees that people suffer for eternity for His own glory. This cannot fit into any message that is described as "good news".

Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You are a poet and did not know it..lol....He is a UR....until he realizes how lost he is and that it was only thru the grace of God that he came to believe....Actually, i think he is a New Ager.....
Richard, you don't know anything about me or my history. I am most definitely NOT a NEW AGER. Just like the apostle Paul, I am what I am through the grace of God. Its only by the grace of God that I came to understand that God will indeed eventually save all mankind. That is the good news.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 PM

People, you have to understand what the words "good news" mean. Good news cannot contain bad news.

So far I have seen people preaching the so-called "good news" including such "good" concepts as:
- babies burning in hell
- people being separated from God forever for their sin, the sin which Jesus supposedly took away
- people choosing to go to hell

These things cannot be called "good news" under any definition of the word "good".

I'm still waiting for answers to these related questions:

1. Where does it say in the bible that we all deserve an eternal hell of suffering?

2. If Jesus takes away the sin of the world, how can sin separate anyone from God forever?

If God gives you the eyes to see what the good news really means, you will understand the answers to the above questions are:
1. It doesn't, and
2. It won't.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,159 times
Quote:
...He is a UR....until he realizes how lost he is and that it was only thru the grace of God that he came to believe....
Why do you feel that someone who believes in Universal Redemption or Reconciliation is lost? Actually, I believe just the opposite:

Rom 3:22 and the righteousness of God is through the faith of Jesus Christ to all, and upon all those believing, --for there is no difference,

Notice that the righteousness of God is to all, and upon all those believing. Both groups are included. To all, in that all are righteous through the faith of Christ, and upon all (those who have also been regenerated by the Spirit, as opposed to those who as yet, have not) that believe. But in terms of being declared righteous by the faith of Christ, there is no difference between the two groups.

Rom 3:23 for all did sin, and are come short of the glory of God--

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

Additionally, I believe that those who deny that God has declared all sinners righteous through the faith of Christ are as yet unregenerate, and do not believe the good news (the Gospel). Both the Calvinist and Arminian need to repent and believe the Gospel.

Alabama 32
Florida 13

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 12-05-2009 at 11:45 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The problem is not them being non-elect. I agree only a few are elect.

The problem is that you think only the elect are saved.

The problem is that you have NO problem with people being tormented/tortured for eternity.

The problem is that you think caring about others eternal destiny and well being (even the non-elect's) is "humanistic".

Jesus told us to love our neighbor and love our enemies. This would include the non-elect. Apparently Jesus words are now "humanistic"?
Just the way you are interpreting it with your UR theology.........

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
This "well balanced theology" of yours includes babies burning in torment for eternity, as you have stated in other threads. How is it good news that babies are burning in hell?

The reason to repent is to know God. The reason to repent is God's kindness, for it is God's kindness that leads us to repent. The reason to repent is because God commands us to. The reason to repent is because there are consequences for what we do. A man will reap what he sows. Reread the parable of the prodigal son.
What you are thinking it means is not what it means....read it again.....
And, yea, you must believe and repent...there is no way around it....so, show me where it negates that if you are a baby..........

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree. Many take the broad way to destruction. Does Mat 7:13-14 say anything about eternal hell? NO.

Yes there is a lesson in Luke 16. There was recent thread that discussed Luke 16 in depth. If you think Luke 16 is proof of eternal hell, you should research it a bit more.
It is implied......

Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
In response to "why does God allow sin?":

Richard, this is a very simplistic answer you have given. Like I said, there are many reasons why God allows, even intended that there be sin in this world.

God is not simply a self-glorifying ego maniac. God doesn't need to do something to glorify himself. God's actions are glorious PERIOD. God is glorious PERIOD.

But you, as a Calvinist, would probably also believe that God decrees that people suffer for eternity for His own glory. This cannot fit into any message that is described as "good news".
You cannot negate the truth no matter how hard you try....yes, it is ALL to glorify God.....to glorify Himself.......Period..........

Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Richard, you don't know anything about me or my history. I am most definitely NOT a NEW AGER. Just like the apostle Paul, I am what I am through the grace of God. Its only by the grace of God that I came to understand that God will indeed eventually save all mankind. That is the good news.
I have beeen there done that and you cannot fool me....you are a New Ager...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity