Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I wasn't being snide. He's never died and seen what hell really is so he cannot possibly know for a fact.

Taught is the key word in your response. Just because something is taught, does not make it true. Truth lies in experience. If a person does not experience something, it cannot be true for them. Faith is totally different, however, and he based his answer on that faith.
I haven't been to all fifty states, read their constitutions, nor studied their admittance to the Union; neither was I an eyewitness to those events. Does this mean they aren't truly states? Likewise, I haven't measured the earth, yet it has a definite circumference.

Your notion of truth is unrealistically narrow. By your definition, the world would be best served if it disbanded all schools and let each judge for himself what is true. Too bad all kinds of knowledge would be lost because most people would not have the initiative, time, or means to experience things for themselves. Using your definition of truth, we certainly can't rely on the testimony of others, so we can't learn from others.

Students are taught all matter of things based on reliable testimony. There's nothing wrong with that. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with Christians teaching something based on the reliable testimony of the Bible.

The larger debate, it seems, is whether or not the Bible is reliable testimony. That is a topic for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Are you sure that you aren't severed?
Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with particular religions, that they are the outcasts? You believe what you have been taught to believe without experiencing. I believe because I have experinced what I have been taught. Do you experience everything that is in the bible? If not, then it cannot be true for you. How do you know that what you believe is true? Have you asked God? Jesus? Any of the authors? Oh, that's right, you don't believe in communicating with the spirit world. Communicate with them and get their story instead of living someone elses story as your own truth.
I read this five times and I have a question, Reverend

I assumed you are Christian. Is my assumption sort of misplaced? I just don't wanna be scammed online, AGAIN

I feel I just met a Hindu Yogi or some reclining Buddhist

Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You're so severed from doctrine, Reverend. Can I call you Severend?
LOL, your like the hundredth person to say that.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ROME — Hell is a place where sinners really do burn in an everlasting fire, and not just a religious symbol designed to galvanize the faithful, the Pope said.

Addressing a parish gathering in a northern suburb of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI said that in the modern world many people, including some believers, had forgotten that if they failed to "admit blame and promise to sin no more," they risked "eternal damnation — the Inferno."

FOXNews.com - Pope: Hell Is a Real Place Where Sinners Burn in Everlasting Fire - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

And lest he forget that those in the Catholic Churches and the Vatican who turned their heads and transferred child molestors....will have a special place in Hell more then likely. No this is not to blast the Catholic faith, but it sure is true.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
This is about the most idiotic post I have ever read! The Catholic Church never changes its position on Faith and Morals. It has been that way since Christ commissioned His Church. Why don't you do some serious research before you open your mouth and insert your foot in it any farther. You know nothing of which you speak. You can learn all kinds of things on the internet and it is so much faster than going to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh, that's alright... As soon as this Pope dies, all the cardinals will gather 'round and confer as to who the next Pope will be. The smoke will come from the chimney of the Vatican declaring a new Pope and all of a sudden an entirely new interpretation and declaration of the Catholic faith will be declared. It's quite possible that the next Pope will declare hell a "metaphor" or something to that extent. And, naturally, all of those following the Catholic Church will then say "Oh, I'm so glad God changed his mind and told the Pope of the recent change. Now we can believe it's just a metaphor."

Years will pass, another Pope will be elected, and then hell will become "real" again. This will require that all the followers of the Catholic Church shift their frame of mind and realize that hell is once again a "real" place.

So the cycle goes back and forth as the mindless masses shift their beliefs according to what an old man in a funny hat proclaims to be true.

Next week... why Saltines work just as well when performing the cannibalistic ritual of eating Jesus' cracker.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
You really need the Pope to tell you that?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Here we go with the pedophile topic again.

More uneducated, know it all people. This is not limited to the Catholic Church.

Check out this link...........

Sexual Abuse of Children by Protestant Ministers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
And lest he forget that those in the Catholic Churches and the Vatican who turned their heads and transferred child molestors....will have a special place in Hell more then likely. No this is not to blast the Catholic faith, but it sure is true.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM

A Rep point for you, BL.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Here we go with the pedophile topic again.

More uneducated, know it all people. This is not limited to the Catholic Church.

Check out this link...........

Sexual Abuse of Children by Protestant Ministers
Excuse me, you have alot of nerve referring to people as uneducated, know it alls. Hate to tell ya, but that is exactly what you come off as. Yes, this kind of behavior has crossed all boundaries, however, this thread is regarding the Pope's so called message.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh, that's alright... As soon as this Pope dies, all the cardinals will gather 'round and confer as to who the next Pope will be. The smoke will come from the chimney of the Vatican declaring a new Pope and all of a sudden an entirely new interpretation and declaration of the Catholic faith will be declared. It's quite possible that the next Pope will declare hell a "metaphor" or something to that extent. And, naturally, all of those following the Catholic Church will then say "Oh, I'm so glad God changed his mind and told the Pope of the recent change. Now we can believe it's just a metaphor."

Years will pass, another Pope will be elected, and then hell will become "real" again. This will require that all the followers of the Catholic Church shift their frame of mind and realize that hell is once again a "real" place.

So the cycle goes back and forth as the mindless masses shift their beliefs according to what an old man in a funny hat proclaims to be true.

Next week... why Saltines work just as well when performing the cannibalistic ritual of eating Jesus' cracker.
You obviously hold Michael Jackson in higher regard than the Pope. 'Nuf said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity